Subject: [hrpc] New draft glossary

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 23:51:27 +0200

Looking forward to the discussion! For a more readable format, check
here: http://digitaldissidents.org/draft-glossary.html

For changes I also accept pull requests at
https://github.com/nllz/IRTF-HRPC/blob/master/draft-glossary.md but
let's have the discussion on the list instead of on Github.

- ---
title: Human Rights Protocol Considerations Glossary
abbrev: hrpcg
docname: draft-dkg-hrpc-glossary-01
category: info

ipr: trust200902
area: General
workgroup: Human Rights Protocol Considerations Research Group
keyword: Internet-Draft
stand_alone: yes
pi:
  rfcedstyle: yes
  toc: yes
  tocindent: yes
  sortrefs: yes
  symrefs: yes
  strict: yes
  comments: yes
  inline: yes
  text-list-symbols: -o*+

author:
- -
       ins: D. K. Gillmor
       name: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
       organization: ACLU
       email: [email-masked]
- -
       ins: N. ten Oever
       name: Niels ten Oever
       organization: Article19
       email: [email-masked]
- -
       ins: A. Doria
       name: Avri Doria
       organization: APC
       email: [email-masked]

normative:

informative:
   RFC0760:
   RFC0791:
   RFC0793:
   RFC1122:
   RFC1958:
   RFC2606:	
   RFC2775:
   RFC3724:
   RFC4084:
   RFC4949:
   RFC6973:

   UDHR:
     title: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
     date: 1948
     author:
        org: United Nations General Assembly
     target:  http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

   ICCPR:
     title: International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
     date: 1976
     author:
        org: United Nations General Assembly
     target: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CCPR.asp
x

   Berners-Lee:
     title: Weaving the Web,
     author:
       - ins: T. Berners-Lee
       - ins: M. Fischetti
     seriesinfo:
       HarperCollins: p 208
     date: 1999

   Saltzer:
     title: End-to-End Arguments in System Design
     author:
       - ins: J.H. Saltzer
       - ins: D.P. Reed
       - ins: D.D. Clark
     seriesinfo: ACM TOCS, Vol 2, Number 4, November
        1984, pp 277-288.
     date: 1984

   Clark:
     title: The Design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols
     author:
       - ins: D. Clark
     seriesinfo: Proc SIGCOMM 88, ACM CCR Vol 18, Number 4, August
        1988, pp. 106-114.
     date: 1988

   Blumenthal:
     title: "Rethinking the design of the Internet: The end-to-end
arguments vs. the brave new world"
     author:
       - ins: M. Blumenthal
       - ins: D.D. Clark
     seriesinfo: ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Vol. 1, No.
1, August 2001, pp 70-109.
     date: 2001

   WP-Stateless:
     title: Stateless protocol
     target: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateless_protocol

   WP-Debugging:
     title: Debugging
     target: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging

   ID:
     title: Proposal for research on human rights protocol consideration
s
     date: 2015
     author:
        - ins: N. ten Oever
        - ins: A. Doria
        - ins: J. Varon
     target: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-proposal

   FIArch:
     title: Future Internet Design Principles
     date: January 2012
     target:
http://www.future-internet.eu/uploads/media/FIArch_Design_Principles_V1.
0.pdf

   Elahi:
     title: "CORDON - A taxonomy of Internet Censorship Resistance
Strategies"
     author:
       - ins: T. Elahi
       - ins: I. Goldberg
     target: http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2012/cacr2012-33.pdf
     date: 2012

- --- abstract

This document presents a glossary of terms used to map between
concepts common in human rights discussions and engineering
discussions.  It is intended to facilitate work by the proposed Human
Rights Protocol Considerations research group, as well as other
authors within the IETF.

- --- middle

Introduction
============

    "There's a freedom about the Internet: As long as we accept the
       rules of sending packets around, we can send packets containing
       anything to anywhere."

{{Berners-Lee}}

The Human Rights Protocol Consideration Proposed Research Group aims
to research whether standards and protocols can enable, strengthen or
threaten human rights, as defined in the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights {{UDHR}} and the International Covenant ons Civil and
Political Rights {{ICCPR}}, specifically, but not limited to the
right to freedom of expression and the right to freedom of assembly.

Comunications between people working on human rights and engineers
working on Internet protocols can be improved with a shared vocabulary.

This document aims to provide a shared vocabulary to facilitate
understanding of the intersection between human rights and Internet
protocol design.

Discussion on this draft at: [email-masked] //
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/admindb/hrpc

This document builds on the previous IDs published within the
framework of the proposed hrpc research group {{ID}}

Glossary
========

In the analysis of existing RFCs central design and technical concepts
have been found which impact human rights.  This is an initial
glossary of concepts that could bridge human rights discourse and
technical vocabulary. These definitions should be improved and further
aligned with existing RFCs.

Accessibility
: Full Internet Connectivity as described in {{RFC4084}} to provide
unfettered access to the Internet

: The design of protocols, services or implementation that provide an
enabling environment for people with disabilities.

: The ability to receive information available on the Internet

Anonymity
: The condition of an identity being unknown or concealed. {{RFC4949}}

Anonymous
: A state of an individual in which an observer or attacker cannot
identify the individual within a set of other  individuals (the
anonymity set). {{RFC6973}}

Authenticity
: The act of confirming the truth of an attribute of a single piece of
data or entity.

Censorship resistance
: Methods and measures to prevent Internet censorship.

Confidentiality
: The non-disclosure of information to any unintended person or host
or party

Connectivity
: The extent to which a device or network is able to reach other
devices or networks to exchange data. The Internet is the tool for
providing global connectivity {{RFC1958}}.

Content-agnosticism
: Treating network traffic identically regardless of content.

Debugging
: Debugging is a methodical process of finding and reducing the number
of bugs, or defects, or malfunctions in a protocol or its
implementation, thus making it behave as expected and analyse the
consequences that might have emanated from the error. Debugging tends
to be harder when various subsystems are tightly coupled, as changes
in one may cause bugs to emerge in another. {{WP-Debugging}}

: The process through which people troubleshoot a technical issue,
which may include inspection of program source code or device
configurations. Can also include tracing or monitoring packet flow.

Decentralized
: Opportunity for implementation or deployment of standards, protocols
or systems without a single point of control.

End-to-End
: The principal of extending characteristics of a protocol or system
as far as possible within the system. For example, end-to-end instant
message encryption would conceal communications from one user's
instant messaging application through any intermediate devices and
servers all the way to the recipient's instant messaging application.
If the message was decrypted at any intermediate point--for example at
a service provider--then the property of end-to-end encryption would
not be present.

: One of the key architectural guidelines of the Internet is the
end-to-end principle in the papers by Saltzer, Reed, and Clark
{{Saltzer}} {{Clark}}. The end-to-end principle was originally
articulated as a question of where best not to put functions in a
communication system. Yet, in the ensuing years, it has evolved to
address concerns of maintaining openness, increasing reliability and
robustness, and preserving the properties of user choice and ease of
new service development as discussed by Blumenthal and Clark in
{{Blumenthal}}; concerns that were not part of the original
articulation of the end-to-end principle. {{RFC3724}}

: communication that takes place between communication end-points of
the same physical or logical functional level

Federation
: The possibility of connecting autonomous systems into a single
distributed system.

Heterogenity
:  The Internet is characterized by heterogeneity on many levels:
devices and nodes, router scheduling algorithms and queue management
mechanisms, routing protocols, levels of multiplexing, protocol
versions and implementations, underlying link layers (e.g.,
point-to-point, multi-access links, wireless, FDDI, etc.), in the
traffic mix and in the levels of congestion at different times and
places. Moreover, as the Internet is composed of autonomous
organizations and internet service providers, each with their own
separate policy concerns,
there is a large heterogeneity of administrative domains and pricing
structures.
As a result, heterogeneity principle is proposed in {{RFC1958}} to be
supported by design. {{FIArch}}

Integrity
: Maintenance and assurance of the accuracy and consistency of data to
ensure it has not been (intentionally or unintentionally) altered

Internet censorship
:  Internet censorship is the intentional suppression of information
originating, flowing
or stored on systems connected to the Internet where that information
is relevant for decision making to some entity. {{Elahi}}

Inter-operable
: A property of a documented standard or protocol which allows
different independent implementations to work with each other without
any restricted negotiation, access or functionality.

Internationalization
: The practice of the adaptation and facilitation of protocols,
standards, and implementation to different languages and scripts.

Open standards
: Conform  {{RFC2606}}: Various national and international standards
bodies, such as ANSI,
      ISO, IEEE, and ITU-T, develop a variety of protocol and service
      specifications that are similar to Technical Specifications
      defined here.  National and international groups also publish
      "implementors' agreements" that are analogous to Applicability
      Statements, capturing a body of implementation-specific detail
      concerned with the practical application of their standards.  All
      of these are considered to be "open external standards" for the
      purposes of the Internet Standards Process.

Openness
: The quality of the unfiltered Internet that allows for free access
to other hosts

Permissionless innovation
: The freedom and ability of to freely create and deploy new protocols
on top of the communications constructs that currently exist

Privacy
: The right of an entity (normally a person), acting in its own
behalf, to determine the degree to which it will interact with its
environment, including the degree to which the entity is willing to
share its personal information with others. {{RFC4949}}

: The right of individuals to control or influence what information
related to them may be collected and stored and by whom and to whom
that information may be disclosed.

: Privacy is a broad concept relating to the protection of individual
autonomy and the relationship between an individual and society,
including government, companies and private individuals. It is often
summarized as “the right to be left alone” but it encompasses a wide
range of rights including protections from intrusions into family and
home life, control of sexual and reproductive rights, and
communications secrecy.  It is commonly recognized as a core right
that underpins human dignity and other values such as freedom of
association and freedom of speech.

The right to privacy is also recognized in nearly every national
constitution  and in most international human rights treaties.  It has
been adjudicated upon both by international and regional bodies.  The
right to privacy is also legally protected at the national level
through provisions in civil and/or criminal codes.

Reliable
: Reliability ensures that a protocol will execute its function
consistently and error resistant as described and function without
unexpected result. A system that is reliable degenerates gracefully
and will have a documented way to announce degradation.  It also has
mechanisms to recover from failure gracefully, and if applicable,
allow for partial healing.

Resilience
: The maintaining of dependability and performance in the face of
unanticipated changes and circumstances.

Robustness
: The resistance of protocols and their implementations to errors, and
to involuntary, legal or malicious attempts to disrupt its mode of
operations. {{RFC0760}} {{RFC0791}} {{RFC0793}} {{RFC1122}}

Scalable
: The ability to handle increased or decreased workloads predictably
within defined expectations. There should be a clear definition of its
scope and applicability.  The limits of a systems scalability should
be defined.

Stateless / stateful
: In computing, a stateless protocol is a communications protocol that
treats each request as an independent transaction that is unrelated to
any previous request so that the communication consists of independent
pairs of request and response. A stateless protocol does not require
the server to retain session information or status about each
communications partner for the duration of multiple requests. In
contrast, a protocol which requires keeping of the internal state on
the server is known as a stateful protocol. {{WP-Stateless}}

Strong encryption / cryptography
: Used to describe a cryptographic algorithm that would require a
large amount of computational power to defeat it. {{RFC4949}}

Transparent:
: "transparency" refers to the original Internet concept of a single
universal logical addressing scheme, and the mechanisms by which
packets may flow from source to destination essentially unaltered.
{{RFC2775}}

The combination of reliability, confidentiality, integrity, anonymity,
and authenticity is what makes up security on the Internet

	 ( Reliability    )
	(  Confidentiality )
	(  Integrity       ) =  communication and information security
(technical)
	(  Authenticity    )
	 ( Anonymity      )

The combination of End-to-End, Interoperability, resilience,
reliability and robustness is what makes us connectivity on the Internet

                         ( End-to-End      )
     connectivity =     (  Interoperability )
                       (   Resilience        )
                       (   Reliability       )
                       (   Robustness        )
                        (  Autonomy         )
                         ( Simplicity      )

Security Considerations
========================

As this draft concerns a research document, there are no security
considerations.

IANA Considerations
==========================

This document has no actions for IANA.

Research Group Information
==========================

The discussion list for the IRTF Human Rights Protocol Considerations
proposed working group is located at the e-mail address
<[email-masked]>. Information on the group and information on how to
subscribe to the list is at
<https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc>

Archives of the list can be found at:
<https://www.irtf.org/mail-archive/web/hrpc/current/index.html>

- -- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9