Subject: [hrpc] Fines for Social Media

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 06:21:41 -0700

Hi Mallory,

>It seems to me that if more and more measures are passed by governments
>to regulate content, while efforts in protocol and standards development
>try to push more and more anti-censorship and resilience of content,
>like this group, then at some point that divergence is going to
>precipitate efforts to influence design and development at these lower
>layers.

The measures are usually about social media regulation as there has 
been cases where content distributed through social media has caused 
events which have a negative impact or which are viewed as 
unacceptable by a significant population.  On the standards 
development side, the existing security techniques were viewed as 
inadequate given the public knowledge that they have been 
circumvented.  It is easier for a regulatory body to impose a penalty 
on social media instead of trying to influence the design and 
development of a standard.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 10:26:48 -0400

There are many legal and standards developments promulgated to implement
security techniques.  The EU has multiple directives, and ETSI TC CYBER
has an array of specifications developed that borrow from best of breed
techniques like the Critical Security Controls and OASIS' STIX - to name
two prominent ones.  Nearly all of the many industry and governmental
standards bodies as well as major OS vendors have also invested enormous
resources - Microsoft, Google, Oracle - among others.  The ultimate
challenges are  that the preponderance of end users don't possess the
knowledge and resources to implement the capabilities, and the
concatenation of all the potential vulnerabilities outpaces the ability
to keep the risks low.  -t

On 15-Sep-18 9:21 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> impact or which are viewed as unacceptable by a significant
> population.  On the standards development side, the existing security
> techniques were viewed as inadequate given the public knowledge that
> they have been circumvented.  It is easier for a regulatory body to
> impose a penalty on social media instead of trying to influence the
> design and development of a standard.