Subject: [hrpc] disruptive tolerance

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:32:15 -0400

Dear hrpc-ers,

I have been informed by your chair that my postings to the group have
been deemed "disruptive" and unwanted.  There is a certain personal
irony.  As a one-time human rights legal activist and public official in
the U.S. Old South 50 years ago, that same term was repeatedly applied
to myself then.  At the time, the consequences were somewhat more
serious - like having a gun waved in your face and being threatened with
death for being disruptive to the then prevailing community values. 

Now being involved in a great many industry, academic, and governmental
groups and leading multiple work items, the re-vectoring for me is
welcome. 

My original intent was to continue a life-long role as a human rights
advocate and educator by creating an Internet Draft that usefully
articulates the broad array of international human rights in a form that
can be used for objective analysis across multiple standards bodies. 
Hopefully, a few of you can join in that effort; and if not, there are
other venues in which it can be pursued.  Please contact me separately
if you are interested in producing the next draft.

As to hrpc, I would urge a greater tolerance for views different from
one's own perspective and motivations on these topics by the diverse
individuals willing to participate in the group.  Participant diversity
should be encouraged, not branded as disruptive or trolling because you
don't agree with their views or style of expression.  Societal tribalism
and hatred manifested through today's communication networks is a real
problem that is readily exploited, and it destroys human rights of the
most vulnerable peoples.  Effective solutions are needed.  Keep up your
work.

best,
-t

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

> Participant diversity should be encouraged, not
> branded as disruptive or trolling because you
> don't agree with their views or style of expression.

I want to assure everyone that this is absolutely not what has been communicated to anyone.

Just a reminder to all about the purpose of the RG and it’s list:

> The Human Rights Protocol Considerations
> Research Group is chartered to research whether
> *standards and protocols* can enable, strengthen or
> threaten human rights, as defined in the Universal
> Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the
> International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
> (ICCPR), specifically, *but not limited to* the right to
> freedom of expression and the right to freedom of
> assembly.

(Emphasis mine)

Sincerely,
-Mallory

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:32:15 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [hrpc] disruptive tolerance

Dear hrpc-ers,

best,
-t

_______________________________________________
hrpc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc