Subject: [hrpc] Call for presentations at IETF 106

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:19:26 +0300

Hi all,

Please if you would like to speak or have ideas for speakers at the
Singapore meeting, or Vancouver, please reach out.

For Singapore, we are inviting Jed Crandall from ASU to give a talk:

Title: Borders and Gateways: Measuring and Analyzing National AS Chokepoints

Internet topology reflects economic and political constraints that
change over time. National boundaries are natural points of control for
surveillance, censorship, tariffs and data localization. I'll present a
measure, national chokepoint potential (NCP), that my collaborators and
I proposed to characterize how a country's AS topology is organized in
terms of BGP paths that can carry traffic across international borders.
We developed an open source tool to calculate this measure, and applied
it to tracking AS topology changes over a ten year span. We found
interesting per-country trends, which I'll discuss, as well as an
overall trend on the Internet of increasing NCP. When compared to
independent measures of Internet freedom, we find statistically
significant relationships between NCP and Internet freedom.

The talk is based on the following paper:
https://forrest.biodesign.asu.edu/data/publications/2019-compass-chokepoints.pdf

Kirtus G. Leyba, Benjamin Edwards, Cynthia Freeman, Jedidiah R.
Crandall, and Stephanie Forrest. Borders and Gateways: Measuring and
Analyzing National AS Chokepoints. To appear in the Proceedings of the
second annual ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable
Societies (COMPASS 2019). Accra, Ghana. July 2019.

Jedidiah R. Crandall is a Professor in the Department of Computer
Science at the University of New Mexico, and will join Arizona State
University's Biodesign Center for Biocomputation, Security and Society
in June, 2020. Prof. Crandall's research interests are in applications
of Internet measurement, reverse engineering, and digital forensics to
Internet freedom. Some of his other research includes assessing side
channels and other weaknesses in core TCP/IP protocols and
implementations, which can lead to threats to at-risk users (e.g.,
activists and journalists) who rely on tools such as VPNs.
-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780