Subject: [hrpc] Report from UN SR on racism

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:59:47 -0400

Hi all,

In a report just released by the UN, the Special Rapporteur on 
contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and 
related intolerance, E. Tendayi Achiume, she says on page 2:

> "The public perception of technology tends to be that it is inherently 
> neutral and objective. But technology is never neutral – it reflects 
> the values and interests of those who influence its design and use, 
> and is fundamentally shaped by the same structures of inequality that 
> operate in society."
>
You can read the rest of the report: 
https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Racism/SR/HCR44_Statement_15_July_2020.pdf

Highly relevant for draft-political.

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: Mark Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 10:39:59 +1100

The report is available in English ((Advance Edited Version)

A/HRC/44/57

Racial discrimination and emerging digital technologies: a human rights 
analysis – Report of the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of 
racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/RegularSessions/Session44/Documents/A_HRC_44_57_AdvanceEditedVersion.docx

Mark P

Le 18/07/2020 à 00:59, Mallory Knodel a écrit :
>> "The public perception of technology tends to be that it is 
>> inherently neutral and objective. But technology is never neutral – 
>> it reflects the values and interests of those who influence its 
>> design and use, and is fundamentally shaped by the same structures of 
>> inequality that operate in society."
>>

-- 
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus