Subject: [hrpc] Fwd: FATML Digest - 16 Feb 2021 to 17 Feb 2021 (#2021-11)

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:51:13 +0300

Hi all,

This obfuscation workshop might be of interest to people!

It’s very much open to non-academics :D

Kind regards,

Corinne

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: FATML automatic digest system <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 08:02
Subject: FATML Digest - 16 Feb 2021 to 17 Feb 2021 (#2021-11)
To: <[email-masked]>

There is 1 message totaling 352 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. CFP: 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation

**********
Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Machine Learning
https://fatml.org
https://fatconference.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:03:13 +0100
From:    Seda Guerses <[email-masked]>
Subject: CFP: 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation

Hey everyone,
we were supposed to have the 3rd Obfuscation Workshop last May in the
Netherlands, but due to the pandemic, we had to postpone and evaluate how
to make it work “online”.
To make up for the constraints of the online for community building, we
introduced a study group that meets before, during and after the actual
workshop.
I hope you consider joining us for the different parts of the program or
spreading the word.
Thank you!
s.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
==========================================
3rd Workshop on Obfuscation
May 4 & 7, 2021. Online gathering
http://www.obfuscationworkshop.org <http://www.obfuscationworkshop.org/>
Cosponsored by TPM, TU Delft and DLI, Cornell Tech
==========================================

In the Spring of 2020, as we were in full force preparing the 3rd Workshop
on Obfuscation, COVID-19 was recognized by the World Health Organization as
a pandemic, which led us to postpone indefinitely. Today we are pleased to
announce that the 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation will finally take place
online on May 4 and 7th, 2021. Everyone is welcome to participate, with or
without submission. Please visit our website
https://www.obfuscationworkshop.org <
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.obfuscationworkshop.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=XYzUhXBD2cD-CornpT4QE19xOJBbRy-TBPLK0X9U2o8&r=tmwsRue_ShOLap4eEpbzSI1rNtQ8N_tcK3OVwf_95j8&m=3qGZ48Ca_f0esSm28Xk82x9KIvrTxvOa0fz9dG8bQQY&s=jWRcN2_7fd9M7uAvmtVkP0QBBJY5i7U0yjagZOxOACU&e=>
to register and for other details!

IMPORTANT DATES:
-------------------------------

        • Registration re-opens on: February 3, 2021
        • Submissions due: March 15, 2021
        • Notifications: April 1, 2021
        • Workshop: May 7, 2021
        • A vernissage will take place on May 4, 2021
        • Study group meets on: April 30, May 6 and May 19, 2021

Overview and topics:
-----------------------------

Obfuscation strategies represent creative ways to evade surveillance,
protect privacy, improve security; as well as protest, contest, resist and
sabotage technology. Obfuscation methods render data more ambiguous,
difficult to exploit and interpret, less useful. They rely on the addition
of gibberish, meaningless data; they pollute, add noise, randomize.
Obfuscation invokes an intuitive form of protection: it distorts that which
is visible to render it less (or in)visible. It hides the trees among the
forest.

The aim of the 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation is to foster interaction among
diverse communities of research, concern and practice interested in
obfuscation. We convene researchers, scientists, policy makers, developers,
journalists, activists, artists and other interested parties to discuss
obfuscation in environments and conditions of asymmetrical power and
information. We welcome and value a broad range of approaches, including
theories, tools, simulations and experimental methods from diverse
disciplines and spheres of practice. The workshop constitutes a wide
umbrella welcoming a diverse family of related topics and efforts,
including adversarial machine learning, protective optimization
technologies (POTs) and obfuscation in behavioral decision-making contexts
by humans and artificial agents. We encourage participants to contribute
with ideas about how obfuscation may (or may not) serve people in the
current context of ever greater power imbalances between people, societal
institutions and technology companies.

Submission types:
--------------------------

        • A (short) position paper or extended abstract of your work (this
can be work in progress).
        • A description of an interesting use case to be discussed (this
may be an academic or policy/practice-based case).
        • A description of a demo or prototype (of applications, hardware
or other artifacts), performance, artwork (in any media) or journalistic
piece relevant to the topic of obfuscation.
        • A description of a hands-on workshop or other interactive format
that engages with obfuscation. We welcome and encourage participants to
organize their own session on a topic related to obfuscation. Please
provide details on method and logistic needs. Note that we have allocated
1-hour slots for invited sessions; let us know if you need additional time
so we can best accommodate your proposal.

Submissions will be peer-reviewed by the Workshop’s Organizing Committee
and accepted based on relevance and potential to contribute to workshop
discussions and goals. The workshop will not publish formal (i.e. archival)
proceedings. With authors' permission, accepted submissions will be
included in the postscript we plan to release after the workshop.

Participate in the 3rd Workshop on Obfuscation Study Group:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We invite junior researchers, artists, activists and other interested
parties to join us in a study group that accompanies the Workshop on
Obfuscation. Our goal is to provide an arena for deeper reflection and
engagement, a more tight-knit and longer breathed space for collaboration
for those interested in obfuscation. The study group will be mentored by
leading researchers of obfuscation Finn Brunton and Helen Nissenbaum, as
well as other invited artists and researchers. We hope this will provide
the basis to collectively engage beyond the ephemeral and rectangled
formats of online events. Participation in the study group is
preconditioned on a submission.  A limited number of places will be
allocated based on submission merit. For more details about what you can
expect from the study group and a tentative schedule of activities, please
visit the study group page on our website.

Stipends:
---------------

In keeping with the Workshop on Obfuscation tradition of supporting artists
and independent researchers, we have a limited number of stipends
available. If you are an artist or independent researcher, please make sure
your submission includes a funds request (including project description and
production budget). We hope to provide stipends for 4-6 projects, with new
works receiving €800 max and previosuly-produced works receiving a fixed
amount of €400.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
-----------------------------------------

Ero Balsa (Cornell Tech)
Seda Gurses (Delft University of Technology)
Helen Nissenbaum (Cornell Tech)
Jara Rocha (Independent Researcher)

This event is possible thanks to the kind support of The Digital Life
Initiative at Cornell Tech, European Research Council, Consolidator grant
724431-BEHAVE and TU Delft's Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
(TPM)

For any questions, comments or requests, you can reach us at
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.
Please feel encouraged to share this call in your circles. We are looking
forward to receiving your submissions and seeing you at the workshop!

**********
Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Machine Learning
https://fatml.org
https://fatconference.org

------------------------------

End of FATML Digest - 16 Feb 2021 to 17 Feb 2021 (#2021-11)
***********************************************************
-- 
Corinne Cath - Speth
Ph.D. Candidate, Oxford Internet Institute & Alan Turing Institute

Web: www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/corinne-cath
Email: [email-masked] & [email-masked]
Twitter: @C_CS