Subject: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 11:27:12 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Freedom of Association on the Internet
        Authors         : Niels ten Oever
                          Gisela Perez de Acha
                          Stéphane Couture
                          Mallory Knodel
	Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-association-09.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   This document explores whether is a relation between the Internet
   architecture and the ability of people to exercise their right to
   peaceful assembly and the right to association online.  It does so by
   asking the question: what are the protocol development considerations
   for freedom of assembly and association?  The Internet increasingly
   mediates our lives, our relationships, and our ability to exercise
   our human rights.  As a global assemblage, the Internet provides a
   public space, yet it is predominantly built on private
   infrastructure.  Since Internet protocols and architecture play a
   central role in the management, development, and use of the Internet,
   we analyze the relation between protocols, architecture, and the
   rights to assemble and associate to mitigate infringements on those
   rights.  This document concludes that the way in which infrastructure
   is designed and implemented impacts people's ability to exercise
   their freedom of assembly and association.  It is therefore
   recommended that the the potential impacts of Internet technologies
   should be assessed, reflecting recommendations of various UN bodies
   and norms.  Finally, the document remarks that non-interoperable
   platforms that do not allow for interoperability or data-portability,
   render users unable to change platforms, therefore leading to a sort
   of "forced association" that inhibits people to fully exercise their
   freedom of assembly and association.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-association/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-association-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-association-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts