Subject: [http-state] New Issue: The domain attribute and I18N domain names

From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:12:38 +0100

Hello all,

AFAICT the current draft does not address how servers should specify  
domain names in the domain attribute of a Set-Cookie header when the  
Unicode form of the domain name contain non-ASCII characters, e.g.  
blåbær.no (xn--blbr-roah.no).

My suggestion is that the A-label (punycode) form should be used in all  
cases, but if that is too strict the only other alternative is to allow  
UTF-8 encoding of the name in addition to the recommended use of the  
A-label.

-- 
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

********************************************************************
Senior Developer                     Email: [email-masked]
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 24 16 42 60              Fax:    +47 24 16 40 01
********************************************************************

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:16:37 -0800

I have very little understanding of I18N domain names.  Would you be
willing to write some tests of the form found in
http://github.com/abarth/http-state/tree/master/tests/data/parser/
that explain what you think the correct behavior is?  You can add more
entries to http://github.com/abarth/http-state/blob/master/tests/data/hosts
if you need to map some i18n domain names to the loopback interface.

Thanks,
Adam

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera
Software ASA) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> AFAICT the current draft does not address how servers should specify domain
> names in the domain attribute of a Set-Cookie header when the Unicode form
> of the domain name contain non-ASCII characters, e.g. blåbær.no
> (xn--blbr-roah.no).
>
> _______________________________________________
> http-state mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/http-state
>

---

From: Dan Witte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:04:00 -0800 (PST)

I agree with Yngve; I'd also note that Mozilla's implementation has never worked with UTF8 'domain' attributes, only punycode. I don't believe we've seen any bug reports from people about changing that.

Dan

----- "Adam Barth" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> entries to
> http://github.com/abarth/http-state/blob/master/tests/data/hosts
> domain

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:18:28 -0700

> UTF-8 encoding of the name in addition to the recommended use of the

That seems reasonable because it is consistent with the IDNA2008 work,
but be aware that once you go down that path you might never be able to
switch to UTF8-encoded domain names because you'll need to interoperate
with software that only does A-labels and not U-labels. Forever. But
picking one format is better than allowing both A-labels and U-labels, I
think. Your Applications Area Advisor was heavily involved in the
IDNA2008 effort, so she might have some valuable insights here. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/