Subject: Comments on Section 6.1

From: David Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:15:57 -0400

Comments on Section 6.1:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-12#section-6.1 

1. The first sentence says: "It is sometimes necessary to determine an
identifier for the resource associated with a representation".  But
rules 1-3 only say what *resource* is associated with the
representation, rather than saying what the *identifier* is.

2. Rule 2 uses the term "target".  Should that be "target resource"?

-- 
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)
http://dbooth.org/

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect those of Cleveland Clinic.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 16:56:41 +0100

> representation, rather than saying what the *identifier* is.

Actually, all points talk primarily about resources, some of which may 
not have a URI (last rule).

We could change the first sentence to

"It is sometimes necessary to determine the resource associated with a 
representation."

Would that help?

> 2. Rule 2 uses the term "target".  Should that be "target resource"?

Yes, I believe so. I have fixed that with 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/1079>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: David Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:10:54 -0500

> "It is sometimes necessary to determine the resource associated with a 

Actually, my point was intended the other way around: it would be
helpful if rules 1-3 said what URI the resource associated with the
representation has.

thanks

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:41:06 +1100

Makse sense to me.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/