Subject: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7231 (6019)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 04:10:42 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7231,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6019

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Michael Osipov <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.1.1.1

Original Text
-------------
 A parameter value that matches the token production can be
   transmitted either as a token or within a quoted-string.  The quoted
   and unquoted values are equivalent.  For example, the following
   examples are all equivalent, but the first is preferred for
   consistency:

     text/html;charset=utf-8
     text/html;charset=UTF-8
     Text/HTML;Charset="utf-8"
     text/html; charset="utf-8"

Corrected Text
--------------
 A parameter value that matches the token production can be
   transmitted either as a token or within a quoted-string.  The quoted
   and unquoted values are equivalent.  For example, the following
   examples are all equivalent, but the first is preferred for
   consistency:

     text/html;charset=utf-8
     text/html;charset=UTF-8

Notes
-----
Section 3.1.1.2 defines charset value to be a token. I consider this to be a bad example which might cause confusion. Why should I quote the value if it is defined as token?! You make want to use some other example.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7231 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:31:03 +0100

On 16.03.2020 12:10, RFC Errata System wrote:
> ...

What's relevant is the ABNF for *parameter*; and that allows both token
and quoted-string. I agree that the text in 7231 is slightly confusing
(and an issue should be opened at
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-core>), but that example actually is
correct; so this erratum should be rejected.

Best regards, Julian