Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 08:34:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HTTP WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Digest Headers
        Authors         : Roberto Polli
                          Lucas Pardue
	Filename        : draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   This document defines the Digest and Want-Digest header fields for
   HTTP, thus allowing client and server to negotiate an integrity
   checksum of the exchanged resource representation data.

   This document obsoletes RFC 3230.  It replaces the term "instance"
   with "representation", which makes it consistent with the HTTP
   Semantic and Context defined in RFC 7231.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:32:52 +0000

Hello HTTP WG,

Roberto and I have published draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02.

This time around we have concentrated on editorial changes that intend to
address some of the feedback we received; the structure has been flattened
and core digest concepts have been moved earlier in the document. We've
punted some of discursive text into the appendix, and have a bunch of
examples in the second half to help illustrate the application of digest
and all the edges. I'm not sure if we have the balance 100% correct. We'd
really appreciate some feedback in order to continue editorial improvements.

Beyond editorial, we have added section 9.10 to describe how digest relates
to HTTP responses with an error status.

Many of the remaining open issues have a relationship to the core
semantics. During the IETF 106 session we received the comment that some of
these can potentially be straightforwardly addressed by applying correct
core terminology (as opposed to tying ourselves in knots). To highlight
some of these:

* #970 <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/970> - AKA is POST
behaviour applicable to all payload bodies
* #936 <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/936>/#937
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/937> - relationship with
validators/cache
* #884 <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/884> - digest,
trailers and transfer-coding
* #850 <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/850> -
digest-algorithm can take a "parameter" but no examples exist

Kind regards
Lucas & Roberto

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 3:39 PM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers-02.txt
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the HTTP WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Digest Headers
        Authors         : Roberto Polli
                          Lucas Pardue

Abstract: