Subject: Protocol Action: 'HTTP Caching' to Internet Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:19:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'HTTP Caching'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-19.txt) as Internet Standard

This document is the product of the HTTP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache/

Technical Summary

This document defines HTTP caches and the associated header fields that
control cache behavior or indicate cacheable response messages.

Working Group Summary

This document was primarily driven by the editors.  A non-trivial amount of
work was involved in updating and refining documents (RFC 723x) that were
already in a good state.  Working group engagement was good, though lighter
for this document than others.

Document Quality

This is a very widely implemented protocol.

As this is a revision, with only minor changes, the usual review procedures do
not apply to the document.

The main improvements here are to validate aspects of the protocol
documentation based on what has been deployed.  Changes are largely the
result of extensive testing (see https://cache-tests.fyi/ for details), which
validated many unchanged portions and justified the small number of changes
that were included.

Personnel

Martin Thomson is shepherd; Francesca Palombini is area director.