Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-priority-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:30:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HTTP WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Extensible Prioritization Scheme for HTTP
        Authors         : Kazuho Oku
                          Lucas Pardue
	Filename        : draft-ietf-httpbis-priority-07.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This document describes a scheme that allows an HTTP client to
   communicate its preferences for how the upstream server prioritizes
   responses to its requests, and also allows a server to hint to a
   downstream intermediary how its responses should be prioritized when
   they are forwarded.  This document defines the Priority header field
   for communicating the initial priority in an HTTP version-independent
   manner, as well as HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 frames for reprioritizing
   responses.  These share a common format structure that is designed to
   provide future extensibility.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-priority/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-priority-07.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-priority-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:47:58 +0100

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the rich feedback on the draft during the WGLC. We've just cut
the 07 draft ahead of the IETF 112 deadline. This incorporates editorial
changes to address the WGLC comments.

As Tommy mentioned when concluding the WGLC, a few of the issues that got
opened resulted in proposed changes that touch on normative parts of the
specification. We believe these to be minor changes, but wanted to make
people aware of them before we merge into what will become the 08 draft.
The following issues will be resolved by their proposals unless we hear
some pushback, we plan to do that on Monday 08 November.

* Changes to SETTINGS_NO_RFC7540_PRIORITIES #1714
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1714>
  - the proposed resolution is
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1725
* Intermediaries modifying Priority header fields #1715
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1715>
  - the proposed resolution is
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1735
* Should invalid priority field value in PRIORITY_UPDATE frames cause a
connection error? #1741
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1741>
  - the proposed resolution is
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1756

Cheers,
Lucas & Kazuho

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:32:50 +0200

Hi Lucas,

> some pushback, we plan to do that on Monday 08 November.
(...)

I think I forgot to send my feedback when I read draft-7 a week or two
ago, but overall I find that it's a pretty good document that leaves
enough room for implementations to do their best, and properly addresses
both the needs of hop-to-hop and end-to-end at the same time.

I've reviewed the PRs and agree with the proposals. I hope we'll be able
to implement this in haproxy for the next version, as I really see this as
a solid improvement over the original scheme that we never implemented :-)

Cheers,
Willy