Subject: Ethernet Chipset registration

From: "Kubinec, Lynn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:04:14 -0600

Hi,

Sorry to have delayed so long in responding to the Ethernet Chipset
mails.  

I guess I'm still in favor of IANA registration.  Reason being, as
a loyal and dedicated paycheck receiver at a large chipset manufacturer, 
I'd like an "authoritative" place to register chipsets.  I have no 
desire to maintain such a structure internally here at TI.  And in 
fact, probably will not.  I'd like to hear from other chipset manufacturers
on this issue.

To provide further details, TI provides some software for its networking
hardware, but this is focussed on showing our customers how to "make
the part go", not on providing the end user a place to come for software.
OIDs and such are viewed here at TI as more "end user" software, so I
really have no internal support for maintaining and publishing OIDs.

So...from a hardware vendor's point of view, rather than an OEM
or software provider, give me a place to register these things.  I can get
probably assure that we'll "register" with an authoritative source; it's
a check off box on a data sheet rather than long term maintainance of
our enterprise OID space.

My 2 cents worth,

Lynn

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:48:29 -0800

to HubMIB:

I would like to echo Lynn's opinions.

Steve

Steve McRobert
Network Products Division
Advanced Micro Devices
M/S 45, Phone (408) 749 5442 Fax (408) 774 8448

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Kubinec, Lynn [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, December 14, 1998 8:04 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Ethernet Chipset registration
> 
> Hi,
>