Subject: <draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-03.txt>

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I would like to submit the attached document as an internet-draft.  It
is a working draft of the hubmib working group, and is an update to
draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-02.txt.

Thanks,
John
================================================================

Hub MIB Working Group                                           J. Flick
INTERNET DRAFT                                   Hewlett-Packard Company
                                                              J. Johnson
                                                        RedBack Networks
                                                           February 1999

                   Definitions of Managed Objects for
                   the Ethernet-like Interface Types

               <draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-03.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   This memo obsoletes RFC 2358 ''Definitions of Managed Objects for the
   Ethernet-like Interface Types''.  This memo extends that
   specification by including management information useful for the
   management of 1000 Mb/s and full-duplex Ethernet interfaces.

   Ethernet technology, as defined by the 802.3 Working Group of the
   IEEE, continues to evolve, with scalable increases in speed, new
   types of cabling and interfaces, and new features.  This evolution

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 1]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   may require changes in the managed objects in order to reflect this
   new functionality.  This document, as with other documents issued by
   this working group, reflects a certain stage in the evolution of
   Ethernet technology.  In the future, this document might be revised,
   or new documents might be issued by the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub
   MIB Working Group, in order to reflect the evolution of Ethernet
   technology.

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.  Please forward comments to
   [email-masked].

Table of Contents

   1. Introduction ................................................    2
   2.  The SNMP Management Framework ..............................    3
   3.  Overview ...................................................    4
   3.1.  Relation to MIB-2 ........................................    4
   3.2.  Relation to the Interfaces MIB ...........................    5
   3.2.1.  Layering Model .........................................    5
   3.2.2.  Virtual Circuits .......................................    5
   3.2.3.  ifTestTable ............................................    5
   3.2.4.  ifRcvAddressTable ......................................    6
   3.2.5.  ifPhysAddress ..........................................    6
   3.2.6.  ifType .................................................    7
   3.2.7.  Specific Interface MIB Objects .........................    7
   3.3.  Relation to the 802.3 MAU MIB ............................   11
   3.4.  dot3StatsEtherChipSet ....................................   11
   3.5.  Mapping of IEEE 802.3 Managed Objects ....................   11
   4.  Definitions ................................................   14
   5.  Intellectual Property ......................................   36
   6.  Acknowledgements ...........................................   36
   7.  References .................................................   37
   8.  Security Considerations ....................................   40
   9.  Author's Addresses .........................................   41
   A.  Change Log .................................................   41
   A.1.  Changes since RFC 2358 ...................................   41
   A.2.  Changes between RFC 1650 and RFC 2358 ....................   42
   B.  Full Copyright Statement ...................................   43

1. Introduction

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it defines objects for managing Ethernet-like
   interfaces.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 2]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   This memo also includes a MIB module.  This MIB module extends the
   list of managed objects specified in the earlier version of this MIB:
   RFC 2358 [23].

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [26].

2.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five major
   components:

    o   An overall architecture, described in RFC 2271 [1].

    o   Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
        purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
        Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
        RFC 1155 [2], RFC 1212 [3] and RFC 1215 [4]. The second version,
        called SMIv2, is described in RFC 1902 [5], RFC 1903 [6] and RFC
        1904 [7].

    o   Message protocols for transferring management information. The
        first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
        described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second version of the SNMP message
        protocol, which is not an Internet standards track protocol, is
        called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [9] and RFC 1906 [10].
        The third version of the message protocol is called SNMPv3 and
        described in RFC 1906 [10], RFC 2272 [11] and RFC 2274 [12].

    o   Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
        first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
        described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second set of protocol operations
        and associated PDU formats is described in RFC 1905 [13].

    o   A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2273 [14] and
        the view-based access control mechanism described in RFC 2275
        [15].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 3]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB.

3.  Overview

   Instances of these object types represent attributes of an interface
   to an ethernet-like communications medium.  At present, ethernet-like
   media are identified by the following values of the ifType object in
   the Interfaces MIB [25]:

            ethernetCsmacd(6)
            iso88023Csmacd(7)
            starLan(11)

   The definitions presented here are based on Section 30, "10 Mb/s, 100
   Mb/s and 1000 Mb/s Management", and Annex 30A, "GDMO Specification
   for 802.3 managed object classes" of IEEE Std. 802.3, 1998 Edition
   [16], as originally interpreted by Frank Kastenholz then of Interlan
   in [17].  Implementors of these MIB objects should note that IEEE
   Std. 802.3 [16] explicitly describes (in the form of Pascal
   pseudocode) when, where, and how various MAC attributes are measured.
   The IEEE document also describes the effects of MAC actions that may
   be invoked by manipulating instances of the MIB objects defined here.

   To the extent that some of the attributes defined in [16] are
   represented by previously defined objects in MIB-2 [24] or in the
   Interfaces MIB [25], such attributes are not redundantly represented
   by objects defined in this memo.  Among the attributes represented by
   objects defined in other memos are the number of octets transmitted
   or received on a particular interface, the number of frames
   transmitted or received on a particular interface, the promiscuous
   status of an interface, the MAC address of an interface, and
   multicast information associated with an interface.

3.1.  Relation to MIB-2

   This section applies only when this MIB is used in conjunction with
   the "old" (RFC 1213) [24] interface group.

   The relationship between an ethernet-like interface and an interface
   in the context of MIB-2 is one-to-one.  As such, the value of an
   ifIndex object instance can be directly used to identify
   corresponding instances of the objects defined herein.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 4]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   For agents which implement the (now deprecated) ifSpecific object, an
   instance of that object that is associated with an ethernet-like
   interface has the OBJECT IDENTIFIER value:

         dot3    OBJECT IDENTIFER ::= { transmission 7 }

3.2.  Relation to the Interfaces MIB

   The Interface MIB [25] requires that any MIB which is an adjunct of
   the Interface MIB clarify specific areas within the Interface MIB.
   These areas were intentionally left vague in the Interface MIB to
   avoid over constraining the MIB, thereby precluding management of
   certain media-types.

   Section 3.3 of [25] enumerates several areas which a media-specific
   MIB must clarify.  Each of these areas is addressed in a following
   subsection.  The implementor is referred to [25] in order to
   understand the general intent of these areas.

3.2.1.  Layering Model

   This MIB does not provide for layering.  There are no sublayers.

   EDITOR'S NOTE:

   One could foresee the development of an 802.2 and enet-transceiver
   MIB.  They could be higher and lower sublayers, respectively.  All
   that THIS document should do is allude to the possibilities and urge
   the implementor to be aware of the possibility and that they may have
   requirements which supersede the requirements in this document.

3.2.2.  Virtual Circuits

   This medium does not support virtual circuits and this area is not
   applicable to this MIB.

3.2.3.  ifTestTable

   This MIB defines two tests for media which are instrumented with this
   MIB; TDR and Loopback.  Implementation of these tests is not
   required.  Many common interface chips do not support one or both of
   these tests.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 5]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   These two tests are provided as a convenience, allowing a common
   method to invoke the test.

   Standard MIBs do not include objects in which to return the results
   of the TDR test.  Any needed objects MUST be provided in the vendor
   specific MIB.

   Note that the ifTestTable is now deprecated.  Work is underway to
   define a replacement MIB for system and interface testing.  It is
   expected that the tests defined in this document will be usable in
   this replacement MIB.

3.2.4.  ifRcvAddressTable

   This table contains all IEEE 802.3 addresses, unicast, multicast, and
   broadcast, for which this interface will receive packets and forward
   them up to a higher layer entity for local consumption.  The format
   of the address, contained in ifRcvAddressAddress, is the same as for
   ifPhysAddress.

   In the event that the interface is part of a MAC bridge, this table
   does not include unicast addresses which are accepted for possible
   forwarding out some other port.  This table is explicitly not
   intended to provide a bridge address filtering mechanism.

3.2.5.  ifPhysAddress

   This object contains the IEEE 802.3 address which is placed in the
   source-address field of any Ethernet, Starlan, or IEEE 802.3 frames
   that originate at this interface.  Usually this will be kept in ROM
   on the interface hardware.  Some systems may set this address via
   software.

   In a system where there are several such addresses the designer has a
   tougher choice.  The address chosen should be the one most likely to
   be of use to network management (e.g.  the address placed in ARP
   responses for systems which are primarily IP systems).

   If the designer truly can not chose, use of the factory- provided ROM
   address is suggested.

   If the address can not be determined, an octet string of zero length
   should be returned.

   The address is stored in binary in this object.  The address is
   stored in "canonical" bit order, that is, the Group Bit is positioned

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 6]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   as the low-order bit of the first octet.  Thus, the first byte of a
   multicast address would have the bit 0x01 set.

3.2.6.  ifType

   This MIB applies to interfaces which have any of the following ifType
   values:

            ethernetCsmacd(6)
            iso88023Csmacd(7)
            starLan(11)

   It is RECOMMENDED that all Ethernet-like interfaces use an ifType of
   ethernetCsmacd(6) regardless of the speed that the interface is
   running or the link-layer encapsulation in use.  iso88023Csmacd(7)
   and starLan(11) are supported for backwards compatability.

   There are three other interface types defined in the IANAifType-MIB
   for Ethernet.  They are fastEther(62), fastEtherFX(69), and
   gigabitEthernet(117).  This document takes the position that an
   Ethernet is an Ethernet, and Ethernet interfaces SHOULD always have
   the same value of ifType.  Information on the particular flavor of
   Ethernet that an interface is running is available from ifSpeed in
   the Interfaces MIB, and ifMauType in the 802.3 MAU MIB.  An
   Ethernet-like interface SHOULD NOT use the fastEther(62),
   fastEtherFX(69), or gigabitEthernet(117) ifTypes.

   Interfaces with any of the supported ifType values map to the
   EtherLike-MIB in the same manner.  There are no implementation
   differences.

3.2.7.  Specific Interface MIB Objects

   The following table provides specific implementation guidelines for
   applying the interface group objects to ethernet-like media.

     Object

     ifIndex                    Each ethernet-like interface is
                                represented by an ifEntry.  The
                                dot3StatsTable in this MIB module is
                                indexed by dot3StatsIndex. The interface
                                identified by a particular value of
                                dot3StatsIndex is the same interface as
                                identified by the same value of ifIndex.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 7]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

     ifDescr                    Refer to [25].

     ifType                     Refer to section 3.2.6.

     ifMtu                      1500 octets.  NOTE: This is the MTU as
                                seen by the MAC client.  When a higher
                                layer protocol, like IP, is running over
                                Ethernet, this is the MTU that will be
                                seen by that higher layer protocol.
                                However, when using the IEEE 802.2 LLC
                                protocol, higher layer protocols will
                                see a different MTU.  In particular, an
                                LLC type 1 client protocol will see
                                an MTU of 1497 octets, and a protocol
                                running over SNAP will see an MTU of
                                1492 octets.

     ifSpeed                    The current operational speed of the
                                interface in bits per second. For
                                current ethernet-like interfaces, this
                                will be equal to 1,000,000 (1 million),
                                10,000,000 (10 million), 100,000,000
                                (100 million), or 1,000,000,000 (1
                                billion). If the interface implements
                                auto-negotiation, auto-negotiation is
                                enabled for this interface, and the
                                interface has not yet negotiated to an
                                operational speed, this object SHOULD
                                reflect the maximum speed supported by
                                the interface.  Note that this object
                                MUST NOT indicate a doubled value when
                                operating in full-duplex mode.  It MUST
                                indicate the correct line speed
                                regardless of the current duplex mode.
                                The duplex mode of the interface may
                                be determined by examining either the
                                dot3StatsDuplexStatus object in this
                                MIBmodule, or the ifMauType object in
                                the 802.3 MAU MIB.

     ifPhysAddress              Refer to section 3.2.5.

     ifAdminStatus              Write access is not required.  Support
                                for 'testing' is not required.

     ifOperStatus               The operational state of the interface.
                                Support for 'testing' is not required.
                                The value 'dormant' has no meaning for

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 8]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                                an ethernet-like interface.

     ifLastChange               Refer to [25].

     ifInOctets                 The number of octets in valid MAC frames
                                received on this interface, including
                                the MAC header and FCS.

     ifInUcastPkts              Refer to [25].

     ifInDiscards               Refer to [25].

     ifInErrors                 The sum for this interface of
                                dot3StatsAlignmentErrors,
                                dot3StatsFCSErrors,
                                dot3StatsFrameTooLongs,
                                dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors and
                                dot3StatsSymbolErrors.

     ifInUnknownProtos          Refer to [25].

     ifOutOctets                The number of octets transmitted in
                                valid MAC frames on this interface,
                                including the MAC header and FCS.

     ifOutUcastPkts             Refer to [25].

     ifOutDiscards              Refer to [25].

     ifOutErrors                The sum for this interface of:
                                dot3StatsSQETestErrors,
                                dot3StatsLateCollisions,
                                dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions,
                                dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors and
                                dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors.

     ifName                     Locally-significant textual name for the
                                interface (e.g. lan0).

     ifInMulticastPkts          Refer to [25].

     ifInBroadcastPkts          Refer to [25].

     ifOutMulticastPkts         Refer to [25].

     ifOutBroadcastPkts         Refer to [25].

     ifHCInOctets               64-bit versions of counters.  Required

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                   [Page 9]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

     ifHCOutOctets              for ethernet-like interfaces that are
                                capable of operating at 20Mbit/sec or
                                faster, even if the interface is
                                currently operating at less than
                                20Mbit/sec.

     ifHCInUcastPkts            64-bit versions of packet counters.
     ifHCInMulticastPkts        Required for ethernet-like interfaces
     ifHCInBroadcastPkts        that are capable of operating at
     ifHCOutUcastPkts           640Mbit/sec or faster, even if the
     ifHCOutMulticastPkts       interface is currently operating at
     ifHCOutBroadcastPkts       less than 640Mbit/sec.

     ifLinkUpDownTrapEnable     Refer to [25].  Default is 'enabled'

     ifHighSpeed                The current operational speed of the
                                interface in millions of bits per
                                second. For current ethernet-like
                                interfaces, this will be equal to 1, 10,
                                100, or 1,000.  If the interface
                                implements auto-negotiation,
                                auto-negotiation is enabled for this
                                interface, and the interface has not yet
                                negotiated to an operational speed, this
                                object SHOULD reflect the maximum speed
                                supported by the interface. Note that
                                this object MUST NOT indicate a doubled
                                value when operating in full-duplex
                                mode.  It MUST indicate the correct line
                                speed regardless of the current duplex
                                mode. The duplex mode of the interface
                                may be determined by examining either
                                the dot3StatsDuplexStatus object in this
                                MIB module, or the ifMauType object in
                                the 802.3 MAU MIB.

     ifPromiscuousMode          Refer to [25].

     ifConnectorPresent         This will normally be 'true'.

     ifAlias                    Refer to [25].

     ifCounterDiscontinuityTime Refer to [25].

     ifStackHigherLayer         Refer to section 3.2.1.
     ifStackLowerLayer
     ifStackStatus

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 10]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

     ifRcvAddressAddress        Refer to section 3.2.4.
     ifRcvAddressStatus
     ifRcvAddressType

3.3.  Relation to the 802.3 MAU MIB

   Support for the mauModIfCompl2 compliance statement of the MAU-MIB
   [27] is REQUIRED for Ethernet-like interfaces.  This MIB is needed in
   order to allow applications to determine the current MAU type in use
   by the interface, and to control autonegotiation and duplex mode for
   the interface.  Implementing this MIB module without implementing the
   MAU-MIB would leave applications with no standard way to determine
   the media type in use, and no standard way to control the duplex mode
   of the interface.

3.4.  dot3StatsEtherChipSet

   This document defines an object called dot3StatsEtherChipSet, which
   is used to identify the MAC hardware used to communicate on an
   interface.  Previous versions of this document contained a number of
   OID assignments for some existing Ethernet chipsets.  Maintaining
   that list as part of this document has proven to be problematic, so
   the OID assignments contained in prevous versions of this document
   have now been moved to a separate document [28].

   The dot3StatsEtherChipSet object has now been deprecated.
   Implementation feedback indicates that this object is much more
   useful in theory than in practice.  The object's utility in debugging
   network problems in the field appears to be limited.  In those cases
   where it may be useful, it is not sufficient, since it identifies
   only the MAC chip, and not the PHY, PMD, or driver.  The
   administrative overhead involved in maintaining a central registry of
   chipset OIDs cannot be justified for an object whose usefulness is
   questionable at best.

   Implementations which continue to support this object for the purpose
   of backwards compatability may continue to use the values defined in
   [28].  For chipsets not listed in [28], implementors should assign
   OBJECT IDENTIFIERS within that part of the registration tree
   delegated to individual enterprises.

3.5.  Mapping of IEEE 802.3 Managed Objects

   IEEE 802.3 Managed Object         Corresponding SNMP Object

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 11]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   oMacEntity
    .aMACID                          dot3StatsIndex or
                                     IF-MIB - ifIndex
    .aFramesTransmittedOK            IF-MIB - ifOutUCastPkts +
                                              ifOutMulticastPkts +
                                              ifOutBroadcastPkts
    .aSingleCollisionFrames          dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames
    .aMultipleCollisionFrames        dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames
    .aFramesReceivedOK               IF-MIB - ifInUcastPkts +
                                              ifInMulticastPkts +
                                              ifInBroadcastPkts
    .aFrameCheckSequenceErrors       dot3StatsFCSErrors
    .aAlignmentErrors                dot3StatsAlignmentErrors
    .aOctetsTransmittedOK            IF-MIB - ifOutOctets*
    .aFramesWithDeferredXmissions    dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions
    .aLateCollisions                 dot3StatsLateCollisions
    .aFramesAbortedDueToXSColls      dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions
    .aFramesLostDueToIntMACXmitError dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors
    .aCarrierSenseErrors             dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors
    .aOctetsReceivedOK               IF-MIB - ifInOctets*
    .aFramesLostDueToIntMACRcvError  dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors
    .aPromiscuousStatus              IF-MIB - ifPromiscuousMode
    .aReadMulticastAddressList       IF-MIB - ifRcvAddressTable
    .aMulticastFramesXmittedOK       IF-MIB - ifOutMulticastPkts
    .aBroadcastFramesXmittedOK       IF-MIB - ifOutBroadcastPkts
    .aMulticastFramesReceivedOK      IF-MIB - ifInMulticastPkts
    .aBroadcastFramesReceivedOK      IF-MIB - ifInBroadcastPkts
    .aFrameTooLongErrors             dot3StatsFrameTooLongs
    .aReadWriteMACAddress            IF-MIB - ifPhysAddress
    .aCollisionFrames                dot3CollFrequencies
    .aDuplexStatus                   dot3StatsDuplexStatus
    .acAddGroupAddress               IF-MIB - ifRcvAddressTable
    .acDeleteGroupAddress            IF-MIB - ifRcvAddressTable
    .acExecuteSelfTest               dot3TestLoopBack

   oPHYEntity
    .aPHYID                          dot3StatsIndex or
                                     IF-MIB - ifIndex
    .aSQETestErrors                  dot3StatsSQETestErrors
    .aSymbolErrorDuringCarrier       dot3StatsSymbolErrors

   oMACControlEntity
    .aMACControlID                   dot3StatsIndex or
                                     IF-MIB - ifIndex
    .aMACControlFunctionsSupported   dot3ControlFunctionsSupported and
                                     dot3ControlFunctionsEnabled
    .aUnsupportedOpcodesReceived     dot3ControlInUnknownOpcodes

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 12]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   oPAUSEEntity
    .aPAUSEMACCtrlFramesTransmitted  dot3OutPauseFrames
    .aPAUSEMACCtrlFramesReceived     dot3InPauseFrames

   * Note that the octet counters in IF-MIB do not exactly match the
   definition of the octet counters in IEEE 802.3.  aOctetsTransmittedOK
   and aOctetsReceivedOK count only the octets in the clientData and Pad
   fields, whereas ifInOctets and ifOutOctets include the entire MAC
   frame, including MAC header and FCS.  However, the IF-MIB counters
   can be derived from the IEEE 802.3 counters as follows:

     ifInOctets = aOctetsReceivedOK + (18 * aFramesReceivedOK)
     ifOutOctets = aOctetsTransmittedOK + (18 * aFramesTransmittedOK)

   The following IEEE 802.3 managed objects have been removed from this
   MIB module as a result of implementation feedback:

   oMacEntity
     .aFramesWithExcessiveDeferral
     .aInRangeLengthErrors
     .aOutOfRangeLengthField
     .aMACEnableStatus
     .aTransmitEnableStatus
     .aMulticastReceiveStatus
     .acInitializeMAC

   Please see [19] for the detailed reasoning on why these objects were
   removed.

   In addition, the following IEEE 802.3 managed objects have not been
   included in this MIB for the following reasons.

   IEEE 802.3 Managed Object         Disposition

   oMACEntity
    .aMACCapabilities                Can be derived from
                                     MAU-MIB - ifMauTypeListBits

   oPHYEntity
    .aPhyType                        Can be derived from
                                     MAU-MIB - ifMauType

    .aPhyTypeList                    Can be derived from
                                     MAU-MIB - ifMauTypeListBits

    .aMIIDetect                      Not considered useful.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 13]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

    .aPhyAdminState                  Can already obtain interface
                                     state from IF-MIB - ifOperStatus
                                     and MAU state from MAU-MIB -
                                     ifMauStatus.  Providing an
                                     additional state for the PHY
                                     was not considered useful.

    .acPhyAdminControl               Can already control interface
                                     state from IF-MIB - ifAdminStatus
                                     and MAU state from MAU-MIB -
                                     ifMauStatus.  Providing separate
                                     admin control of the PHY was not
                                     considered useful.

   oMACControlEntity
    .aMACControlFramesTransmitted    Can be determined by summing the
                                     OutFrames counters for the
                                     individual control functions

    .aMACControlFramesReceived       Can be determined by summing the
                                     InFrames counters for the
                                     individual control functions

   oPAUSEEntity
    .aPAUSELinkDelayAllowance        Not considered useful.

4.  Definitions

   EtherLike-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

       IMPORTS
           MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, OBJECT-IDENTITY,
           Counter32, Unsigned32, mib-2, transmission
               FROM SNMPv2-SMI
           MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP
               FROM SNMPv2-CONF
           ifIndex, InterfaceIndex
               FROM IF-MIB;

       etherMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
           LAST-UPDATED "9902120223Z"  -- February 12, 1999
           ORGANIZATION "IETF Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB
                        Working Group"
           CONTACT-INFO
               "WG E-mail: [email-masked]
             To subscribe: [email-masked]

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 14]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                    Chair: Dan Romascanu
                   Postal: Lucent Technologies
                           Atidum Technology Park, Bldg. 3
                           Tel Aviv 61131
                           Israel
                      Tel: +972 3 645 8414
                   E-mail: [email-masked]

                  Editor: John Flick
                  Postal: Hewlett-Packard Company
                          8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5557
                          Roseville, CA 95747-5557
                          USA
                     Tel: +1 916 785 4018
                     Fax: +1 916 785 1199
                  E-mail: [email-masked]

                  Editor: Jeffrey Johnson
                  Postal: RedBack Networks
                          2570 North First Street, Suite 410
                          San Jose, CA, 95131
                          USA
                     Tel: +1 408 571 2699
                     Fax: +1 408 571 2698
                  E-Mail: [email-masked]"

           DESCRIPTION "The MIB module to describe generic objects for
                       Ethernet-like network interfaces.

                       The following reference is used throughout this
                       MIB module:

                       [IEEE 802.3 Std] refers to:
                          IEEE Std 802.3, 1998 Edition: 'Information
                          technology - Telecommunications and
                          information exchange between systems -
                          Local and metropolitan area networks -
                          Specific requirements - Part 3: Carrier
                          sense multiple access with collision
                          detection (CSMA/CD) access method and
                          physical layer specifications',
                          September 1998.

                       Of particular interest is Clause 30, '10Mb/s,
                       100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s Management'."

           REVISION    "9902120223Z"  -- February 12, 1999
           DESCRIPTION "Updated to include support for 1000 Mb/sec

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 15]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       interfaces and full-duplex interfaces."

           REVISION    "9806032150Z"  -- June 3, 1998
           DESCRIPTION "Updated to include support for 100 Mb/sec
                       interfaces.  Published as RFC 2358."

           REVISION    "9402030400Z"  -- February 3, 1994
           DESCRIPTION "Version published as RFC 1650."
           ::= { mib-2 35 }

       etherMIBObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { etherMIB 1 }

       dot3    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { transmission 7 }

       -- the Ethernet-like Statistics group

       dot3StatsTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX     SEQUENCE OF Dot3StatsEntry
           MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
           STATUS     current
           DESCRIPTION "Statistics for a collection of ethernet-like
                       interfaces attached to a particular system."
           ::= { dot3 2 }

       dot3StatsEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX     Dot3StatsEntry
           MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
           STATUS     current
           DESCRIPTION "Statistics for a particular interface to an
                       ethernet-like medium."
           INDEX       { dot3StatsIndex }
           ::= { dot3StatsTable 1 }

       Dot3StatsEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               dot3StatsIndex                      InterfaceIndex,
               dot3StatsAlignmentErrors            Counter32,
               dot3StatsFCSErrors                  Counter32,
               dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames      Counter32,
               dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames    Counter32,
               dot3StatsSQETestErrors              Counter32,
               dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions      Counter32,
               dot3StatsLateCollisions             Counter32,
               dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions        Counter32,
               dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors  Counter32,
               dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors         Counter32,
               dot3StatsFrameTooLongs              Counter32,
               dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors   Counter32,

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 16]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

               dot3StatsEtherChipSet               OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
               dot3StatsSymbolErrors               Counter32,
               dot3StatsDuplexStatus               INTEGER
           }

       dot3StatsIndex OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      InterfaceIndex
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An index value that uniquely identifies an
                       interface to an ethernet-like medium.  The
                       interface identified by a particular value of
                       this index is the same interface as identified
                       by the same value of ifIndex."
           REFERENCE   "RFC 2233, ifIndex"
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 1 }

       dot3StatsAlignmentErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames received on a particular
                       interface that are not an integral number of
                       octets in length and do not pass the FCS check.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object is incremented when the alignmentError
                       status is returned by the MAC service to the
                       LLC (or other MAC user). Received frames for
                       which multiple error conditions obtain are,
                       according to the conventions of IEEE 802.3
                       Layer Management, counted exclusively according
                       to the error status presented to the LLC.

                       This counter does not increment for 8-bit wide
                       group encoding schemes."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.7,
                       aAlignmentErrors"
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 2 }

       dot3StatsFCSErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames received on a particular
                       interface that are an integral number of octets
                       in length but do not pass the FCS check.  This
                       count does not include frames received with

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 17]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       frame-too-long or frame-too-short error.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object is incremented when the frameCheckError
                       status is returned by the MAC service to the
                       LLC (or other MAC user). Received frames for
                       which multiple error conditions obtain are,
                       according to the conventions of IEEE 802.3
                       Layer Management, counted exclusively according
                       to the error status presented to the LLC.

                       Note:  Coding errors detected by the physical
                       layer for speeds above 10 Mb/s will cause the
                       frame to fail the FCS check."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.6,
                       aFrameCheckSequenceErrors."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 3 }

       dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of successfully transmitted frames on
                       a particular interface for which transmission
                       is inhibited by exactly one collision.

                       A frame that is counted by an instance of this
                       object is also counted by the corresponding
                       instance of either the ifOutUcastPkts,
                       ifOutMulticastPkts, or ifOutBroadcastPkts,
                       and is not counted by the corresponding
                       instance of the dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames
                       object.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.3,
                       aSingleCollisionFrames."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 4 }

       dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of successfully transmitted frames on
                       a particular interface for which transmission
                       is inhibited by more than one collision.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 18]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       A frame that is counted by an instance of this
                       object is also counted by the corresponding
                       instance of either the ifOutUcastPkts,
                       ifOutMulticastPkts, or ifOutBroadcastPkts,
                       and is not counted by the corresponding
                       instance of the dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames
                       object.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.4,
                       aMultipleCollisionFrames."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 5 }

       dot3StatsSQETestErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of times that the SQE TEST ERROR
                       message is generated by the PLS sublayer for a
                       particular interface. The SQE TEST ERROR
                       is set in accordance with the rules for
                       verification of the SQE detection mechanism in
                       the PLS Carrier Sense Function as described in
                       IEEE Std. 802.3, 1998 Edition, section 7.2.4.6.

                       This counter does not increment on interfaces
                       operating at speeds greater than 10 Mb/s, or on
                       interfaces operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 7.2.4.6, also 30.3.2.1.4,
                       aSQETestErrors."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 6 }

       dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames for which the first
                       transmission attempt on a particular interface
                       is delayed because the medium is busy.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object does not include frames involved in
                       collisions.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 19]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.9,
                       aFramesWithDeferredXmissions."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 7 }

       dot3StatsLateCollisions OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The number of times that a collision is
                       detected on a particular interface later than
                       one slotTime into the transmission of a packet.

                       A (late) collision included in a count
                       represented by an instance of this object is
                       also considered as a (generic) collision for
                       purposes of other collision-related
                       statistics.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.10,
                       aLateCollisions."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 8 }

       dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames for which transmission on a
                       particular interface fails due to excessive
                       collisions.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.11,
                       aFramesAbortedDueToXSColls."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 9 }

       dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames for which transmission on a
                       particular interface fails due to an internal
                       MAC sublayer transmit error. A frame is only
                       counted by an instance of this object if it is
                       not counted by the corresponding instance of
                       either the dot3StatsLateCollisions object, the

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 20]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions object, or the
                       dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors object.

                       The precise meaning of the count represented by
                       an instance of this object is implementation-
                       specific.  In particular, an instance of this
                       object may represent a count of transmission
                       errors on a particular interface that are not
                       otherwise counted."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.12,
                       aFramesLostDueToIntMACXmitError."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 10 }

       dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The number of times that the carrier sense
                       condition was lost or never asserted when
                       attempting to transmit a frame on a particular
                       interface.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object is incremented at most once per
                       transmission attempt, even if the carrier sense
                       condition fluctuates during a transmission
                       attempt.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.13,
                       aCarrierSenseErrors."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 11 }

       -- { dot3StatsEntry 12 } is not assigned

       dot3StatsFrameTooLongs OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames received on a particular
                       interface that exceed the maximum permitted
                       frame size.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object is incremented when the frameTooLong
                       status is returned by the MAC service to the
                       LLC (or other MAC user). Received frames for

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 21]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       which multiple error conditions obtain are,
                       according to the conventions of IEEE 802.3
                       Layer Management, counted exclusively according
                       to the error status presented to the LLC."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.25,
                       aFrameTooLongErrors."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 13 }

       -- { dot3StatsEntry 14 } is not assigned

       -- { dot3StatsEntry 15 } is not assigned

       dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of frames for which reception on a
                       particular interface fails due to an internal
                       MAC sublayer receive error. A frame is only
                       counted by an instance of this object if it is
                       not counted by the corresponding instance of
                       either the dot3StatsFrameTooLongs object, the
                       dot3StatsAlignmentErrors object, or the
                       dot3StatsFCSErrors object.

                       The precise meaning of the count represented by
                       an instance of this object is implementation-
                       specific.  In particular, an instance of this
                       object may represent a count of receive errors
                       on a particular interface that are not
                       otherwise counted."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.15,
                       aFramesLostDueToIntMACRcvError."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 16 }

       dot3StatsEtherChipSet OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "******** THIS OBJECT IS DEPRECATED ********

                       This object contains an OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                       which identifies the chipset used to
                       realize the interface. Ethernet-like
                       interfaces are typically built out of
                       several different chips. The MIB implementor
                       is presented with a decision of which chip
                       to identify via this object. The implementor

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 22]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       should identify the chip which is usually
                       called the Medium Access Control chip.
                       If no such chip is easily identifiable,
                       the implementor should identify the chip
                       which actually gathers the transmit
                       and receive statistics and error
                       indications. This would allow a
                       manager station to correlate the
                       statistics and the chip generating
                       them, giving it the ability to take
                       into account any known anomalies
                       in the chip."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 17 }

       dot3StatsSymbolErrors OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "For an interface operating at 100 Mb/s, the
                       number of times there was an invalid data symbol
                       when a valid carrier was present.

                       For an interface operating in half-duplex mode
                       at 1000 Mb/s, the number of times the receiving
                       media is non-idle (a carrier event) for a period
                       of time equal to or greater than slotTime, and
                       during which there was at least one occurrence
                       of an event that causes the PHY to indicate
                       'Data reception error' or 'carrier extend error'
                       on the GMII.

                       For an interface operating in full-duplex mode
                       at 1000 Mb/s, the number of times the receiving
                       media is non-idle a carrier event) for a period
                       of time equal to or greater than minFrameSize,
                       and during which there was at least one
                       occurrence of an event that causes the PHY to
                       indicate 'Data reception error' on the GMII.

                       The count represented by an instance of this
                       object is incremented at most once per carrier
                       event, even if multiple symbol errors occur
                       during the carrier event.  This count does
                       not increment if a collision is present."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.2.1.5,
                       aSymbolErrorDuringCarrier."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 18 }

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 23]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

       dot3StatsDuplexStatus OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           unknown(1),
                           halfDuplex(2),
                           fullDuplex(3)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The current mode of operation of the MAC
                       entity.  'unknown' indicates that the current
                       duplex mode could not be determined.

                       Management control of the duplex mode is
                       accomplished through the MAU MIB.  When
                       an interface does not support autonegotiation,
                       or when autonegotiation is not enabled, the
                       duplex mode is controlled using
                       ifMauDefaultType.  When autonegotiation is
                       supported and enabled, duplex mode is controlled
                       using ifMauAutoNegAdvertisedBits.  In either
                       case, the currently operating duplex mode is
                       reflected both in this object and in ifMauType."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.32,
                       aDuplexStatus."
           ::= { dot3StatsEntry 19 }

       -- the Ethernet-like Collision Statistics group

       -- Implementation of this group is optional; it is appropriate
       -- for all systems which have the necessary metering

       dot3CollTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF Dot3CollEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of collision histograms for a
                       particular set of interfaces."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.1.1.30,
                       aCollisionFrames."
           ::= { dot3 5 }

       dot3CollEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Dot3CollEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A cell in the histogram of per-frame

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 24]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       collisions for a particular interface.  An
                       instance of this object represents the
                       frequency of individual MAC frames for which
                       the transmission (successful or otherwise) on a
                       particular interface is accompanied by a
                       particular number of media collisions."
           INDEX       { ifIndex, dot3CollCount }
           ::= { dot3CollTable 1 }

       Dot3CollEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               dot3CollCount        INTEGER,
               dot3CollFrequencies  Counter32
           }

       -- { dot3CollEntry 1 } is no longer in use

       dot3CollCount OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..16)
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The number of per-frame media collisions for
                       which a particular collision histogram cell
                       represents the frequency on a particular
                       interface."
           ::= { dot3CollEntry 2 }

       dot3CollFrequencies OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of individual MAC frames for which the
                       transmission (successful or otherwise) on a
                       particular interface occurs after the
                       frame has experienced exactly the number
                       of collisions in the associated
                       dot3CollCount object.

                       For example, a frame which is transmitted
                       on interface 77 after experiencing
                       exactly 4 collisions would be indicated
                       by incrementing only dot3CollFrequencies.77.4.
                       No other instance of dot3CollFrequencies would
                       be incremented in this example.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in full-duplex mode."

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 25]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           ::= { dot3CollEntry 3 }

       dot3ControlTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF Dot3ControlEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A table of descriptive and status information
                       about the MAC Control sublayer on the
                       ethernet-like interfaces attached to a
                       particular system."
           ::= { dot3 9 }

       dot3ControlEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Dot3ControlEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about the MAC Control sublayer on a single
                       ethernet-like interface."
           INDEX       { dot3StatsIndex }
           ::= { dot3ControlTable 1 }

       Dot3ControlEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               dot3ControlFunctionsSupported       BITS,
               dot3ControlInUnknownOpcodes         Counter32
           }

       dot3ControlFunctionsSupported OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      BITS {
                           pause(0)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A list of the possible MAC Control functions
                       implemented for this interface."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.3.2,
                       aMACControlFunctionsSupported."
           ::= { dot3ControlEntry 1 }

       dot3ControlInUnknownOpcodes OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of MAC Control frames received on this
                       interface that contain an opcode that is not
                       supported by this device."

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 26]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.3.5,
                       aUnsupportedOpcodesReceived"
           ::= { dot3ControlEntry 2 }

       dot3PauseTable OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF Dot3PauseEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A table of descriptive and status information
                       about the MAC Control PAUSE function on the
                       ethernet-like interfaces attached to a
                       particular system."
           ::= { dot3 10 }

       dot3PauseEntry OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Dot3PauseEntry
           MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "An entry in the table, containing information
                       about the MAC Control PAUSE function on a single
                       ethernet-like interface."
           INDEX       { dot3StatsIndex }
           ::= { dot3PauseTable 1 }

       Dot3PauseEntry ::=
           SEQUENCE {
               dot3PauseAdminMode                  INTEGER,
               dot3PauseOperMode                   INTEGER,
               dot3InPauseFrames                   Counter32,
               dot3OutPauseFrames                  Counter32
           }

       dot3PauseAdminMode OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           disabled(1),
                           enabledXmit(2),
                           enabledRcv(3),
                           enabledXmitAndRcv(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-write
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object is used to configure the default
                       administrative PAUSE mode for this interface.

                       This object represents the
                       administratively-configured PAUSE mode for this
                       interface.  If auto-negotiation is not enabled

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 27]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       or is not implemented for the active MAU
                       attached to this interface, the value of this
                       object determines the operational PAUSE mode
                       of the interface whenever it is operating in
                       full-duplex mode.  In this case, a set to this
                       object will force the interface into the
                       specified mode.

                       If auto-negotiation is implemented and enabled
                       for the MAU attached to this interface, the
                       PAUSE mode for this interface is determined by
                       auto-negotiation, and the value of this object
                       denotes the mode to which the interface will
                       automatically revert if/when auto-negotiation is
                       later disabled.  Note that when auto-negotiation
                       is running, administrative control of the PAUSE
                       mode may be accomplished using the
                       ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits object in the
                       MAU-MIB.

                       Note that the value of this object is ignored
                       when the interface is not operating in
                       full-duplex mode.

                       An attempt to set this object to
                       'enabledXmit(2)' or 'enabledRcv(3)' will fail
                       on interfaces that do not support operation
                       at greater than 100 Mb/s."
           ::= { dot3PauseEntry 1 }

       dot3PauseOperMode OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                           disabled(1),
                           enabledXmit(2),
                           enabledRcv(3),
                           enabledXmitAndRcv(4)
                       }
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This object reflects the PAUSE mode currently
                       in use on this interface, as determined by
                       either (1) the result of the auto-negotiation
                       function or (2) if auto-negotiation is not
                       enabled or is not implemented for the active MAU
                       attached to this interface, by the value of
                       dot3PauseAdminMode.  Interfaces operating at
                       100 Mb/s or less will never return
                       'enabledXmit(2)' or 'enabledRcv(3)'.  Interfaces

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 28]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       operating in half-duplex mode will always return
                       'disabled(1)'.  Interfaces on which
                       auto-negotiation is enabled but not yet
                       completed should return the value
                       'disabled(1)'."
           ::= { dot3PauseEntry 2 }

       dot3InPauseFrames OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of MAC Control frames received on this
                       interface with an opcode indicating the PAUSE
                       operation.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in half-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.4.3,
                       aPAUSEMACCtrlFramesReceived."
           ::= { dot3PauseEntry 3 }

       dot3OutPauseFrames OBJECT-TYPE
           SYNTAX      Counter32
           MAX-ACCESS  read-only
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A count of MAC Control frames transmitted on
                       this interface with an opcode indicating the
                       PAUSE operation.

                       This counter does not increment when the
                       interface is operating in half-duplex mode."
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], 30.3.4.2,
                       aPAUSEMACCtrlFramesTransmitted."
           ::= { dot3PauseEntry 4 }

       --  802.3 Tests

       dot3Tests   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3 6 }

       dot3Errors  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3 7 }

       --  TDR Test

       dot3TestTdr OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The Time-Domain Reflectometry (TDR) test is

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 29]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

                       specific to ethernet-like interfaces of type
                       10Base5 and 10Base2.  The TDR value may be
                       useful in determining the approximate distance
                       to a cable fault.  It is advisable to repeat
                       this test to check for a consistent resulting
                       TDR value, to verify that there is a fault.

                       A TDR test returns as its result the time
                       interval, measured in 10 MHz ticks or 100 nsec
                       units, between the start of TDR test
                       transmission and the subsequent detection of a
                       collision or deassertion of carrier.  On
                       successful completion of a TDR test, the result
                       is stored as the value of an appropriate
                       instance of an appropriate vendor specific MIB
                       object, and the OBJECT IDENTIFIER of that
                       instance is stored in the appropriate instance
                       of the appropriate test result code object
                       (thereby indicating where the result has been
                       stored)."
           ::= { dot3Tests 1 }

       -- Loopback Test

       dot3TestLoopBack OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "This test configures the MAC chip and executes
                       an internal loopback test of memory, data paths,
                       and the MAC chip logic.  This loopback test can
                       only be executed if the interface is offline.
                       Once the test has completed, the MAC chip should
                       be reinitialized for network operation, but it
                       should remain offline.

                       If an error occurs during a test, the
                       appropriate test result object will be set
                       to indicate a failure.  The two OBJECT
                       IDENTIFIER values dot3ErrorInitError and
                       dot3ErrorLoopbackError may be used to provided
                       more information as values for an appropriate
                       test result code object."
           ::= { dot3Tests 2 }

       dot3ErrorInitError OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Couldn't initialize MAC chip for test."
           ::= { dot3Errors 1 }

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 30]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

       dot3ErrorLoopbackError OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Expected data not received (or not received
                       correctly) in loopback test."
           ::= { dot3Errors 2 }

       -- conformance information

       etherConformance OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { etherMIB 2 }

       etherGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { etherConformance 1 }
       etherCompliances OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { etherConformance 2 }

       -- compliance statements

       etherCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "******** THIS COMPLIANCE IS DEPRECATED ********

                       The compliance statement for managed network
                       entities which have ethernet-like network
                       interfaces.

                       This compliance is deprecated and replaced by
                       dot3Compliance."

           MODULE  -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { etherStatsGroup }

               GROUP       etherCollisionTableGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is optional. It is appropriate
                           for all systems which have the necessary
                           metering. Implementation in such systems is
                           highly recommended."
           ::= { etherCompliances 1 }

       ether100MbsCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "******** THIS COMPLIANCE IS DEPRECATED ********

                       The compliance statement for managed network
                       entities which have 100 Mb/sec ethernet-like
                       network interfaces.

                       This compliance is deprecated and replaced by
                       dot3Compliance."

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 31]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           MODULE  -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { etherStats100MbsGroup }

               GROUP       etherCollisionTableGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is optional. It is appropriate
                           for all systems which have the necessary
                           metering. Implementation in such systems is
                           highly recommended."
           ::= { etherCompliances 2 }

       dot3Compliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The compliance statement for managed network
                       entities which have ethernet-like network
                       interfaces."

           MODULE  -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { etherStatsBaseGroup }

               GROUP       etherDuplexGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is mandatory for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces which are
                           capable of operating in full-duplex mode.
                           It is highly recommended for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces."

               GROUP       etherStatsLowSpeedGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is mandatory for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces which are
                           capable of operating at 10 Mb/s or slower in
                           half-duplex mode."

               GROUP       etherStatsHighSpeedGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is mandatory for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces which are
                           capable of operating at 100 Mb/s or faster."

               GROUP       etherControlGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is mandatory for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces that
                           support the MAC Control sublayer."

               GROUP       etherControlPauseGroup
               DESCRIPTION "This group is mandatory for all
                           ethernet-like network interfaces that
                           support the MAC Control PAUSE function."

               GROUP       etherCollisionTableGroup

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 32]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

               DESCRIPTION "This group is optional. It is appropriate
                           for all ethernet-like network interfaces
                           which are capable of operating in
                           half-duplex mode and have the necessary
                           metering. Implementation in systems with
                           such interfaces is highly recommended."
           ::= { etherCompliances 3 }

       -- units of conformance

       etherStatsGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsIndex,
                         dot3StatsAlignmentErrors,
                         dot3StatsFCSErrors,
                         dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsSQETestErrors,
                         dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions,
                         dot3StatsLateCollisions,
                         dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors,
                         dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors,
                         dot3StatsFrameTooLongs,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors,
                         dot3StatsEtherChipSet
                       }
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS GROUP IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A collection of objects providing information
                       applicable to all ethernet-like network
                       interfaces.

                       This object group has been deprecated and
                       replaced by etherStatsBaseGroup and
                       etherStatsLowSpeedGroup."
           ::= { etherGroups 1 }

       etherCollisionTableGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3CollFrequencies
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing a histogram
                       of packets successfully transmitted after
                       experiencing exactly N collisions."
           ::= { etherGroups 2 }

       etherStats100MbsGroup OBJECT-GROUP

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 33]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsIndex,
                         dot3StatsAlignmentErrors,
                         dot3StatsFCSErrors,
                         dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions,
                         dot3StatsLateCollisions,
                         dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors,
                         dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors,
                         dot3StatsFrameTooLongs,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors,
                         dot3StatsEtherChipSet,
                         dot3StatsSymbolErrors
                       }
           STATUS      deprecated
           DESCRIPTION "********* THIS GROUP IS DEPRECATED **********

                       A collection of objects providing information
                       applicable to 100 Mb/sec ethernet-like network
                       interfaces.

                       This object group has been deprecated and
                       replaced by etherStatsBaseGroup and
                       etherStatsHighSpeedGroup."
           ::= { etherGroups 3 }

       etherStatsBaseGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsIndex,
                         dot3StatsAlignmentErrors,
                         dot3StatsFCSErrors,
                         dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames,
                         dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions,
                         dot3StatsLateCollisions,
                         dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors,
                         dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors,
                         dot3StatsFrameTooLongs,
                         dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       applicable to all ethernet-like network
                       interfaces."
           ::= { etherGroups 4 }

       etherStatsLowSpeedGroup OBJECT-GROUP

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 34]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsSQETestErrors }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       applicable to ethernet-like network interfaces
                       capable of operating at 10 Mb/s or slower in
                       half-duplex mode."
           ::= { etherGroups 5 }

       etherStatsHighSpeedGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsSymbolErrors }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       applicable to ethernet-like network interfaces
                       capable of operating at 100 Mb/s or faster."
           ::= { etherGroups 6 }

       etherDuplexGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3StatsDuplexStatus }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       about the duplex mode of an ethernet-like
                       network interface."
           ::= { etherGroups 7 }

       etherControlGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3ControlFunctionsSupported,
                         dot3ControlInUnknownOpcodes
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       about the MAC Control sublayer on ethernet-like
                       network interfaces."
           ::= { etherGroups 8 }

       etherControlPauseGroup OBJECT-GROUP
           OBJECTS     { dot3PauseAdminMode,
                         dot3PauseOperMode,
                         dot3InPauseFrames,
                         dot3OutPauseFrames
                       }
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "A collection of objects providing information
                       about and control of the MAC Control PAUSE
                       function on ethernet-like network interfaces."
           ::= { etherGroups 9 }

   END

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 35]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

5.  Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

6.  Acknowledgements

   This document was produced by the IETF Ethernet Interfaces and Hub
   MIB Working Group, whose efforts were greatly advanced by the
   contributions of the following people:

       Lynn Kubinec
       Steve McRobert
       Dan Romascanu
       Andrew Smith
       Geoff Thompson

   This document is based on the Proposed Standard Ethernet MIB, RFC
   2358 [23], edited by John Flick of Hewlett-Packard and Jeffrey
   Johnson of RedBack Networks and produced by the 802.3 Hub MIB Working
   Group.  It extends that document by providing support for full-duplex
   Ethernet interfaces and 1000 Mb/sec Ethernet interfaces as outlined
   in [16].

   RFC 2358, in turn, is almost completely based on both the Standard
   Ethernet MIB, RFC 1643 [21], and the Proposed Standard Ethernet MIB
   using the SNMPv2 SMI, RFC 1650 [22], both of which were edited by
   Frank Kastenholz of FTP Software and produced by the Interfaces MIB
   Working Group.  RFC 2358 extends those documents by providing support
   for 100 Mb/sec ethernet interfaces.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 36]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   RFC 1643 and RFC 1650, in turn, are based on the Draft Standard
   Ethernet MIB, RFC 1398 [20], also edited by Frank Kastenholz and
   produced by the Ethernet MIB Working Group.

   RFC 1398, in turn, is based on the Proposed Standard Ethernet MIB,
   RFC 1284 [18], which was edited by John Cook of Chipcom and produced
   by the Transmission MIB Working Group.  The Ethernet MIB Working
   Group gathered implementation experience of the variables specified
   in RFC 1284, documented that experience in RFC 1369 [19], and used
   that information to develop this revised MIB.

   RFC 1284, in turn, is based on a document written by Frank
   Kastenholz, then of Interlan, entitled IEEE 802.3 Layer Management
   Draft M compatible MIB for TCP/IP Networks [17].  This document was
   modestly reworked, initially by the SNMP Working Group, and then by
   the Transmission Working Group, to reflect the current conventions
   for defining objects for MIB interfaces.  James Davin, of the MIT
   Laboratory for Computer Science, and Keith McCloghrie of Hughes LAN
   Systems, contributed to later drafts of this memo.  Marshall Rose of
   Performance Systems International, Inc. converted the document into
   RFC 1212 [3] concise format.  Anil Rijsinghani of DEC contributed
   text that more adequately describes the TDR test.  Thanks to Frank
   Kastenholz of Interlan and Louis Steinberg of IBM for their
   experimentation.

7.  References

    [1] Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
        Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2271, Cabletron
        Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
        January 1998

    [2] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of
        Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", STD 16,
        RFC 1155, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems,
        May 1990

    [3] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", STD 16,
        RFC 1212, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems,
        March 1991

    [4] M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the
        SNMP", RFC 1215, Performance Systems International, March 1991

    [5] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Structure of Management Information for Version 2 of the Simple
        Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1902, SNMP Research,

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 37]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

        Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.,
        International Network Services, January 1996.

    [6] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Textual
        Conventions for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
        Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1903, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco
        Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

    [7] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Conformance Statements for Version 2 of the Simple Network
        Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1904, SNMP Research, Inc.,
        Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

    [8] Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
        Network Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, SNMP Research,
        Performance Systems International, Performance Systems
        International, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, May 1990.

    [9] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, SNMP
        Research, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting,
        Inc., International Network Services, January 1996.

   [10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
        Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, SNMP Research, Inc.,
        Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

   [11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
        Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
        Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2272, SNMP Research, Inc., Cabletron
        Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
        January 1998.

   [12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM)
        for version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
        (SNMPv3)", RFC 2274, IBM T. J. Watson Research, January 1998.

   [13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
        Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
        Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco
        Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

   [14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 38]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

        2273, SNMP Research, Inc., Secure Computing Corporation, Cisco
        Systems, January 1998

   [15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access
        Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
        (SNMP)", RFC 2275, IBM T. J. Watson Research, BMC Software,
        Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., January 1998

   [16] IEEE, IEEE Std 802.3, 1998 Edition: "Information technology -
        Telecommunications and information exchange between systems -
        Local and metropolitan area networks - Specific requirements -
        Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection
        (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer specifications"
        (incorporating ANSI/IEEE Std. 802.3, 1996 Edition, IEEE Std.
        802.3r-1996, 802.3u-1995, 802.3x&y-1997, 802.3z-1998, and
        802.3aa-1998), September 1998.

   [17] Kastenholz, F., "IEEE 802.3 Layer Management Draft compatible
        MIB for TCP/IP Networks", electronic mail message to mib-
        [email-masked], 9 June 1989.

   [18] Cook, J., "Definitions of Managed Objects for Ethernet-Like
        Interface Types", RFC 1284, Chipcom Corporation, December 1991.

   [19] Kastenholz, F., "Implementation Notes and Experience for The
        Internet Ethernet MIB", RFC 1369, FTP Software, October 1992.

   [20] Kastenholz, F., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the
        Ethernet-like Interface Types", RFC 1398, FTP Software, Inc.,
        January 1993.

   [21] Kastenholz, F., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the
        Ethernet-like Interface Types", STD 50, RFC 1643, FTP Software,
        Inc., July 1994.

   [22] Kastenholz, F., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the
        Ethernet-like Interface Types using SMIv2", RFC 1650,
        FTP Software, Inc., August 1994.

   [23] Flick, J., and J. Johnson, "Definitions of Managed Objects
        for the Ethernet-like Interface Types", RFC 2358,
        Hewlett-Packard Company, RedBack Networks, June 1998.

   [24] McCloghrie, K., and M. Rose, Editors, "Management Information
        Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based internets: MIB-II",
        STD 17, RFC 1213, Hughes LAN Systems, Performance Systems
        International, March 1991.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 39]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   [25] McCloghrie, K., and F. Kastenholz, "The Interfaces Group MIB
        using SMIv2", RFC 2233, Cisco Systems, FTP Software,
        November 1997.

   [26] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
        Requirements Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [27] Smith, A., Flick, J., deGraaf, K., Romascanu, D., McMaster,
        D., McCloghrie, K., and S. Roberts, "Definitions of Managed
        Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment Units (MAUs) using
        SMIv2", work in progress, draft-ietf-hubmib-mau-mib-v2-02.txt,
        Extreme Networks, Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Argon Networks,
        LANNET Ltd., Cisco Systems, Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., Farallon
        Computing Inc., January 1999.

   [28] Flick, J., "Definitions of Object Identifiers for Identifying
        Ethernet Chip Sets", work in progress,
        draft-ietf-hubmib-ether-chipsets-00.txt, Hewlett-Packard
        Company, January 1999.

8.  Security Considerations

   There are two management objects defined in this MIB that have a
   MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write.  Such objects may be considered
   sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.  The support
   for SET operations in a non-secure environment without proper
   protection can have a negative effect on network operations.

   There are a number of managed objects in this MIB that may be
   considered to contain sensitive information.  In particular, the
   dot3StatsEtherChipSet object may be considered sensitive in many
   environments, since it would allow an intruder to obtain information
   about which vendor's equipment is in use on the network.  Note that
   this object has been deprecated.  However, some implementors may
   still choose to implement it for backwards compatability.

   Therefore, it may be important in some environments to control read
   access to these objects and possibly to even encrypt the values of
   these objects when sending them over the network via SNMP.  Not all
   versions of SNMP provide features for such a secure environment.

   SNMPv1 by itself is such an insecure environment.  Even if the
   network itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then,
   there is no control as to who on the secure network is allowed to
   access and GET (read) the objects in this MIB.

   It is recommended that the implementors consider the security

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 40]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

   features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically, the use
   of the User-based Security Model RFC 2274 [12] and the View-based
   Access Control Model RFC 2275 [15] is recommended.

   It is then a customer/user responsibility to ensure that the SNMP
   entity giving access to an instance of this MIB, is properly
   configured to give access to those objects only to those principals
   (users) that have legitimate rights to access them.

9.  Author's Addresses

   John Flick
   Hewlett-Packard Company
   8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5557
   Roseville, CA 95747-5557

   Phone: +1 916 785 4018
   Email: [email-masked]

   Jeffrey Johnson
   RedBack Networks
   2570 North First Street, Suite 410
   San Jose, CA, 95131, USA

   Phone: +1 408 571 2699
   EMail: [email-masked]

A.  Change Log

A.1.  Changes since RFC 2358

   This section enumerates changes made to RFC 2358 to produce this
   document.

      (1)   Section 2 has been replaced with the current SNMP
            Management Framework boilerplate.

      (2)   The ifMtu mapping has been clarified.

      (3)   The relationship between the IEEE 802.3 octet counters
            and the IF-MIB octet counters has been clarified.

      (4)   REFERENCE clauses have been updated to reflect the
            actual IEEE 802.3 managed object that each MIB object

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 41]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

            is based on.

      (5)   The following object DESCRIPTION clauses have been
            updated to reflect that they do not increment in
            full-duplex mode: dot3StatsSingleCollisionFrames,
            dot3StatsMultipleCollisionFrames, dot3StatsSQETestErrors,
            dot3StatsDeferredTransmissions, dot3StatsLateCollisions,
            dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions, dot3StatsCarrierSenseErrors,
            dot3CollFrequencies.

      (6)   The following object DESCRIPTION clauses have been
            updated to reflect behaviour on full-duplex and
            1000 Mb/s interfaces: dot3StatsAlignmentErrors,
            dot3StatsFCSErrors, dot3StatsSQETestErrors,
            dot3StatsLateCollisions, dot3StatsSymbolErrors.

      (7)   Two new tables, dot3ControlTable and dot3PauseTable,
            have been added.

      (8)   A new object, dot3StatsDuplexStatus, has been added.

      (9)   The object groups and compliances have been restructured.

      (10)  The dot3StatsEtherChipSet object has been deprecated.

      (11)  The dot3ChipSets have been moved to a separate document.

A.2.  Changes between RFC 1650 and RFC 2358

   This section enumerates changes made to RFC 1650 to produce RFC 2358.

      (1)   The MODULE-IDENTITY has been updated to reflect the changes
            in the MIB.

      (2)   A new object, dot3StatsSymbolErrors, has been added.

      (3)   The definition of the object dot3StatsIndex has been
            converted to use the SMIv2 OBJECT-TYPE macro.

      (4)   A new conformance group, etherStats100MbsGroup, has been
            added.

      (5)   A new compliance statement, ether100MbsCompliance, has
            been added.

      (6)   The Acknowledgements were extended to provide a more
            complete history of the origin of this document.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 42]

Internet Draft             Ethernet-Like MIB               February 1999

      (7)   The discussion of ifType has been expanded.

      (8)   A section on mapping of Interfaces MIB objects has
            been added.

      (9)   A section defining the relationship of this MIB to
            the MAU MIB has been added.

      (10)  A section on the mapping of IEEE 802.3 managed objects
            to this MIB and the Interfaces MIB has been added.

      (11)  Converted the dot3Tests, dot3Errors, and dot3ChipSets
            OIDs to use the OBJECT-IDENTITY macro.

      (12)  Added to the list of registered dot3ChipSets.

      (13)  An intellectual property notice and copyright notice
            were added, as required by RFC 2026.

B.  Full Copyright Statement

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Flick, et. al.            Expires August 1999                  [Page 43]