Subject: WG Charter Update

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 18:21:56 +0200

I received the following e-mail from Fred baker concerning the WG Charter:

>Doing some cleanup. As I read the milestones on this, it leads me to
>believe that you have nothing whatsoever to do, something I don't
>believe. Could I get you to work with your ADs to update the charter or
>plan to close the working group?

The current situation is that we received a set of comments from the Shawn
Routier, who was designated by the AD to review the three documents in work.
We expect John Flick to post the resulting changes and a new set of I-Ds
shortly. Then, we probably need to redo a short Last Call and forward the
documents to the IESG, via Bert. The IESG needs to approve the new
Ethernet-like Interfaces MIB and MAU MIB, while the Chipsets Document will
become an Informational RFC.

My proposal is to update the Goals and Milestones in the Charter according
to the list below. After the present sets of documents is approved, we can
decide about new items of work which would require a new Charter, or going
dormant. As no urgent matters were risen on the list, I will not ask for a
meeting slot in Oslo.

Done
             
            Meet at the 41st IETF to discuss implementation experience of
RFC 2108 and RFC 2239, and to consider
            future extensions for Full Duplex operation and 1 Gigabit
Ethernet Speeds
 Done
             
            Gather implementation experience feedback concerning RFC 2108
and RFC 2239
 Done
             
            Post Internet-Draft(s) for Full Duplex and 1 Gigabit Ethernet
MIB extensions
 Done
             
            Meet at the 42nd IETF to discuss the Internet-Draft(s) and issue
recommendations concerning advancement
            of RFC 2108 and RFC 2239 on the standards track
 Done
             
            Post revised Internet-Draft(s)
 Done
             
            Conduct WG Last Call on Internet-Draft(s)
 Done
             
            Submit final version of the Internet-Draft(s) to the IESG for
consideration as Proposed Standards
May 1999
	Submit revised version of the Internet-Drafts, following the Area
Directorate review

June 1999
	Conduct WG Last Call on Internet-Drafts

June 1999
		Submit final versions of the MAU MIB and Ethernet-like
Interfaces MIB Internet-Draft(s) to the IESG for consideration 		as
Proposed Standards

June 1999
	Submit the Ethernet Chipsets document as Informational RFC

September 1999
	Discuss on the mailing list new working items proposals and submit
recommendation to the Area Director about 	continuation of the WG
activity

Please comment. Regards,

Dan

---

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:20:00 -0700 (PDT)

A couple of comment:

 > 	Submit the Ethernet Chipsets document as Informational RFC

Why wait until June?  I should have the updates done this week.  I
don't think we require another 2-week WG last call following the AD
review.

 > recommendation to the Area Director about 	continuation of the WG

Again, why wait till September?  If nobody has any additional work
items, we should be able to shut down as soon as the new RFCs are
published.  (Granted, that does tend to take a few months.)

John