Subject: draft-ietf-hubmib-ether-chipsets-02.txt

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:03:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I would like to submit the attached document as an internet-draft.  It
is a working draft of the hubmib working group, and is an update to
draft-ietf-hubmib-ether-chipsets-01.txt.

Thanks,
John
==================================================================

Hub MIB Working Group                                           J. Flick
INTERNET DRAFT                                   Hewlett-Packard Company
                                                                May 1999

                 Definitions of Object Identifiers for
                     Identifying Ethernet Chip Sets

               <draft-ietf-hubmib-ether-chipsets-02.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   To view the list Internet-Draft Shadow Directories, see
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo defines OBJECT IDENTIFIER values for use with network
   management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it
   contains registered OID values for use with the dot3StatsEtherChipSet
   object in the EtherLike-MIB [16].  These registrations have been
   split from [16] into a separate document for maintenance purposes.

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.  Please forward comments to
   [email-masked].

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction ...............................................    2
   2.  The SNMP Management Framework ..............................    2
   3.  Definitions ................................................    3
   4.  Intellectual Property ......................................   14

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 1]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

   5.  Acknowledgements ...........................................   15
   6.  References .................................................   15
   7.  Security Considerations ....................................   17
   8.  Author's Address ...........................................   17
   9.  Full Copyright Statement ...................................   17

1.  Introduction

   This memo defines OBJECT IDENTIFIER values for use with network
   management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it
   contains registered OID values for use with the dot3StatsEtherChipSet
   object in the EtherLike-MIB [16].  These registrations have been
   split from [16] into a separate document for maintenance purposes.

   The dot3StatsEtherChipSet object has recently been deprecated.  The
   purpose of this document is to capture historic assignments made by
   the various IETF working groups that have been responsible for
   maintaining the EtherLike-MIB.  Implementations which support the
   dot3StatsEtherChipSet object for backwards compatability may continue
   to use the OBJECT IDENTIFIER values assigned in this document.

   For those chipsets not represented in this document, implementors
   should assign OBJECT IDENTIFIER values within that part of the
   registration tree delegated to individual enterprises.

2.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five major
   components:

    o   An overall architecture, described in RFC 2571 [1].

    o   Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
        purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
        Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
        RFC 1155 [2], RFC 1212 [3] and RFC 1215 [4]. The second version,
        called SMIv2, is described in RFC 2578 [5], RFC 2579 [6] and RFC
        2580 [7].

    o   Message protocols for transferring management information. The
        first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
        described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second version of the SNMP message
        protocol, which is not an Internet standards track protocol, is
        called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [9] and RFC 1906 [10].
        The third version of the message protocol is called SNMPv3 and
        described in RFC 1906 [10], RFC 2572 [11] and RFC 2574 [12].

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 2]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

    o   Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
        first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
        described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second set of protocol operations
        and associated PDU formats is described in RFC 1905 [13].

    o   A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2573 [14] and
        the view-based access control mechanism described in RFC 2575
        [15].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no
   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB.

3.  Definitions

   ETHER-CHIPSET-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

       IMPORTS
           MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-IDENTITY, mib-2
               FROM SNMPv2-SMI
           dot3
               FROM EtherLike-MIB;

       etherChipsetMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
           LAST-UPDATED "9901280202Z"  -- January 28, 1999
           ORGANIZATION "IETF 802.3 Hub MIB Working Group"
           CONTACT-INFO
               "WG E-mail: [email-masked]
             To subscribe: [email-masked]

                    Chair: Dan Romascanu
                   Postal: Lucent Technologies
                           Atidum Technology Park, Bldg. 3
                           Tel Aviv 61131
                           Israel
                      Tel: +972 3 645 8414
                   E-mail: [email-masked]

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 3]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                  Editor: John Flick
                  Postal: Hewlett-Packard Company
                          8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5556
                          Roseville, CA 95747-5556
                          USA
                     Tel: +1 916 785 4018
                     Fax: +1 916 785 3583
                  E-mail: [email-masked]"

           DESCRIPTION "This MIB module contains registered values for
                       use by the dot3StatsEtherChipSet object in
                       the EtherLike-MIB.  This object is used to
                       identify the MAC hardware used to communicate
                       on an interface.

                       Note that the dot3StatsEtherChipSet object
                       has been deprecated.  The primary purpose of
                       this module is to capture historic assignments
                       made by the various IETF working groups that
                       have been responsible for maintaining the
                       EtherLike-MIB.  Implementations which support
                       the dot3StatsEtherChipSet object for backwards
                       compatability may continue to use these values.
                       For those chipsets not represented in this
                       module, registration is required in other
                       documentation, e.g., assignment within that
                       part of the registration tree delegated to
                       individual enterprises (see RFC 1155 and RFC
                       1902)."

           REVISION    "9901280031Z"  -- January 28, 1999
           DESCRIPTION "Initial version of this module created by
                       splitting the chipset registration information
                       out from the EtherLike-MIB."
           ::= { mib-2 XX }
           -- NOTE TO RFC EDITOR: When this document is published as
           -- an RFC, change XX to next available mib-2 branch,
           -- assigned by IANA, and delete this comment.

       dot3ChipSets          OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3 8 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 1 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD7990 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 4]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                       Micro Devices Am7990 Local Area Network
                       Controller for Ethernet (LANCE)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 1 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79900 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79900 chip."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 2 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C940 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C940 Media Access Controller
                       for Ethernet (MACE)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 3 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C90 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C90 CMOS Local Area Network
                       Controller for Ethernet (C-LANCE)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 4 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C960 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C960 PCnet-ISA Single Chip
                       Ethernet Controller for ISA."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 5 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C961 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C961 PCnet-ISA+ Single Chip
                       Plug & Play Full-Duplex Ethernet Controller
                       for ISA."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 6 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C961A OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C961A PCnet-ISA II Single Chip
                       Plug & Play Full-Duplex Ethernet Controller
                       for ISA."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 7 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C965 OBJECT-IDENTITY

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 5]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C965 PCnet-32 Single Chip
                       Ethernet Controller for PCI."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 8 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C970 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C970 PCnet PCI Single Chip
                       Ethernet Controller for PCI Local Bus."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 9 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C970A OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices AM79C970A PCnet PCI II Single Chip
                       Full-Duplex Ethernet Controller for PCI Local
                       Bus."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 10 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C971 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C971 PCnet-FAST Single Chip
                       Full-Duplex 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller for
                       PCI Local Bus."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 11 }

       dot3ChipSetAMD79C972 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Advanced
                       Micro Devices Am79C972 PCnet-FAST+ Enhanced
                       10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet Controller with OnNow
                       Support."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetAMD 12 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 2 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel82586 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Intel
                       82586 IEEE 802.3 Ethernet LAN Coprocessor."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetIntel 1 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel82596 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Intel

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 6]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                       82596 High-Performance 32-Bit Local Area Network
                       Coprocessor."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetIntel 2 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel82595 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Intel
                       82595 High Integration Ethernet Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetIntel 3 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel82557 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Intel
                       82557 Fast Ethernet PCI Bus Lan Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetIntel 4 }

       dot3ChipSetIntel82558 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Intel
                       82558 Fast Ethernet PCI Bus LAN Controller with
                       Integrated PHY."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetIntel 5 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 3 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq8003 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       8003 chip set."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 1 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq80C03 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       80C03 Full-Duplex CMOS Ethernet Data Link
                       Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 2 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq84C30 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       4-Port 84C30 Full-Duplex CMOS Ethernet 10
                       MBit/Sec Data Link Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 3 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq8431 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 7]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                       4-Port 8431 Full-Duplex CMOS Ethernet 10
                       MBit/Sec Data Link Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 4 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq80C300 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       80C300 Full-Duplex CMOS Ethernet 10/100
                       Mbit/Sec Data Link Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 5 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq84C300 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       4-Port 84C300 Fast Ethernet Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 6 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq84301 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       4-Port 84301 Fast Ethernet Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 7 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq84302 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       4-Port 84302 Fast Ethernet Controller (MAC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 8 }

       dot3ChipSetSeeq8100 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the SEEQ
                       8100 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (MAC & PCS)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetSeeq 9 }

       dot3ChipSetNational   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 4 }

       dot3ChipSetNational8390 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP8390 Network Interface
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 1 }

       dot3ChipSetNationalSonic OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83932 Systems-Oriented Network

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 8]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                       Interface Controller (SONIC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 2 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83901 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83901 Serial Network Interface
                       Controller (SNIC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 3 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83902 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83902 Serial Network Interface
                       Controller for Twisted Pair (ST-NIC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 4 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83905 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83905 AT Local Area Network
                       Twisted-Pair Interface (AT/LANTIC)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 5 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83907 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83907 AT Twisted-Pair Enhanced
                       Coaxial Network Interface Controller
                       (AT/LANTIC II)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 6 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83916 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83916 Systems-Oriented Network
                       Interface Controller (SONIC-16)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 7 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83934 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83934 Systems-Oriented Network
                       Interface Controller with Twisted Pair Interface
                       (SONIC-T)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 8 }

       dot3ChipSetNational83936 OBJECT-IDENTITY

Flick                    Expires November 1999                  [Page 9]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the National
                       Semiconductor DP83936AVUL Full-Duplex Systems-
                       Oriented Network Interface Controller with
                       Twisted Pair Interface (SONIC-T)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetNational 9 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 5 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu86950 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Fujitsu
                       86950 chip."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetFujitsu 1 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu86960 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Fujitsu
                       MB86960 Network Interface Controller with
                       Encoder/Decoder (NICE)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetFujitsu 2 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu86964 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Fujitsu
                       MB86964 Ethernet Controller with 10BASE-T
                       Tranceiver."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetFujitsu 3 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu86965A OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Fujitsu
                       MB86965A EtherCoupler Single-Chip Ethernet
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetFujitsu 4 }

       dot3ChipSetFujitsu86965B OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Fujitsu
                       MB86965B EtherCoupler Single-Chip Ethernet
                       Controller (supports full-duplex)."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetFujitsu 5 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 6 }

       dot3ChipSetDigitalDC21040 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 10]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

                       Semiconductor DC21040 chip."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 1 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21041 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21041 PCI Ethernet LAN
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 2 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21140 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21140 PCI Fast Ethernet LAN
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 3 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21143 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21143 PCI/CardBus 10/100-Mb/s
                       Ethernet LAN Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 4 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21340 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21340 10/100-MB/s managed buffered
                       port switch."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 5 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21440 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21440 Multiport 10/100Mbps
                       Ethernet Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 6 }

       dot3ChipSetDigital21540 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Digital
                       Semiconductor 21540 PCI/CardBus Ethernet LAN
                       Controller with Modem Interface."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetDigital 7 }

       dot3ChipSetTI         OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 7 }

       dot3ChipSetTIE100 OBJECT-IDENTITY

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 11]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Texas
                       Instruments TNETE100 ThunderLAN PCI Fast
                       Ethernet Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetTI 1 }

       dot3ChipSetTIE110 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Texas
                       Instruments TNETE110 ThunderLAN PCI 10BASE-T
                       Ethernet Adapter."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetTI 2 }

       dot3ChipSetTIX3100 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Texas
                       Instruments TNETX3100 Desktop ThunderSWITCH
                       8/2."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetTI 3 }

       dot3ChipSetTIX3150 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Texas
                       Instruments TNETX3150 ThunderSWITCH 12/3."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetTI 4 }

       dot3ChipSetTIX3270 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Texas
                       Instruments TNETX3270 ThunderSWITCH 24/3."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetTI 5 }

       dot3ChipSetToshiba    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 8 }

       dot3ChipSetToshibaTC35815F OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Toshiba
                       TC35815F PCI-Based 100/10Mbps Ethernet
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetToshiba 1 }

       dot3ChipSetLucent     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 9 }

       dot3ChipSetLucentATT1MX10 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Lucent
                       Technologies ATT1MX10 (Spinnaker) Quad MAC and
                       Tranceiver for Ethernet Frame Switching."

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 12]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

           ::= { dot3ChipSetLucent 1 }

       dot3ChipSetLucentLUC3M08 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Lucent
                       Technologies LUC3M08 Eight Ethernet MACs for
                       10/100 Mbits/s Frame Switching."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetLucent 2 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileo    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 10 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48001 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48001A Switched Ethernet
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 1 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48002 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48002A Switched Fast Ethernet
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 2 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48004 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48004A Four Port Fast Ethernet
                       Switch for Multiport 10/100BASE-X Systems."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 3 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48207 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48207 Low-Cost 10 Port Switched
                       Ethernet Controller for 10+10/100BASE-X."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 4 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48208 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48208 Advanced 10 Port Switched
                       Ethernet Controller for 10+10/100BASE-X."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 5 }

       dot3ChipSetGalileoGT48212 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 13]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Galileo
                       Technology GT-48212 Advanced 14 Port Switched
                       Ethernet Controller for 10+10/100BASE-X."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetGalileo 6 }

       dot3ChipSetJato       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 11 }

       dot3ChipSetJatoJT1001 OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the Jato
                       Technologies JT1001 GigEMAC Server
                       10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Controller with PCI
                       interface."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetJato 1 }

       dot3ChipSetXaQti      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dot3ChipSets 12 }

       dot3ChipSetXaQtiXQ11800FP OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the XaQTI
                       XQ11800FP XMAC II Gigabit Ethernet Media Access
                       Controller."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetXaQti 1 }

       dot3ChipSetXaQtiXQ18110FP OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "The authoritative identifier for the XaQTI
                       XQ18110FP GigaPower Protocol Accelerator."
           ::= { dot3ChipSetXaQti 2 }

   END

4.  Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 14]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

5.  Acknowledgements

   This document was produced by the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB
   Working Group.

6.  References

    [1] Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
        Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, Cabletron
        Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
        May 1999

    [2] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of
        Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", RFC 1155,
        STD 16, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems,
        May 1990

    [3] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", RFC
        1212, STD 16, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN
        Systems, March 1991

    [4] M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the
        SNMP", RFC 1215, Performance Systems International, March 1991

    [5] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose,
        M., and S Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information
        Version 2 (SMIv2)", RFC 2578, STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPInfo,
        TU Braunschweig, SNMP Research, First Virtual Holdings,
        International Network Services, April 1999.

    [6] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose,
        M., and S Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for SMIv2", RFC 2579,
        STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPInfo, TU Braunschweig, SNMP Research,
        First Virtual Holdings, International Network Services,
        April 1999.

    [7] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose,
        M., and S Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for SMIv2", RFC
        2580, STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPInfo, TU Braunschweig, SNMP
        Research, First Virtual Holdings, International Network

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 15]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

        Services, April 1999.

    [8] Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
        Network Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, SNMP Research,
        Performance Systems International, Performance Systems
        International, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, May 1990.

    [9] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, SNMP
        Research, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting,
        Inc., International Network Services, January 1996.

   [10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
        "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
        Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, SNMP Research, Inc.,
        Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

   [11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
        Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
        Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2572, SNMP Research, Inc., Cabletron
        Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
        May 1999.

   [12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM)
        for version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
        (SNMPv3)", RFC 2574, IBM T. J. Watson Research, May 1999.

   [13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
        Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
        Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco
        Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
        Network Services, January 1996.

   [14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC
        2573, SNMP Research, Inc., Secure Computing Corporation, Cisco
        Systems, May 1999

   [15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access
        Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
        (SNMP)", RFC 2575, IBM T. J. Watson Research, BMC Software,
        Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., May 1999

   [16] Flick, J., and J. Johnson, "Definitions of Managed Objects for
        the Ethernet-like Interface Types", work in progress,
        draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-02.txt, Hewlett-Packard
        Company, RedBack Networks, January, 1999.

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 16]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

7.  Security Considerations

   There are no management objects actually defined in this MIB module.
   It merely contains a list of OBJECT IDENTIFIER values for use in
   other MIB modules.  As such, it does not, by itself, have any effect
   on the security of the Internet.

   The values in this module are expected to be used only for backwards
   compatability with the deprecated dot3StatsEtherChipSet object in the
   EtherLike-MIB [16].  That object may be considered sensitive in some
   environments, since it would allow an intruder to obtain information
   about which vendor's equipment is in use on the network.

   Therefore, it may be important in some environments, where the
   dot3StatsEtherChipSet object is implemented for backwards
   compatability, to control read access to that object and possibly to
   even encrypt the values of that object when sending it over the
   network via SNMP.  Not all versions of SNMP provide features for such
   a secure environment.

   SNMPv1 by itself is such an insecure environment.  Even if the
   network itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then,
   there is no control as to who on the secure network is allowed to
   access and GET (read) the objects in this MIB.

   It is recommended that the implementors consider the security
   features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically, the use
   of the User-based Security Model RFC 2274 [12] and the View-based
   Access Control Model RFC 2275 [15] is recommended.

   It is then a customer/user responsibility to ensure that the SNMP
   entity giving access to a managed object whose values are defined in
   this MIB, is properly configured to give access to those objects only
   to those principals (users) that have legitimate rights to access
   them.

8.  Author's Address

   John Flick
   Hewlett-Packard Company
   8000 Foothills Blvd. M/S 5557
   Roseville, CA 95747-5557

   Phone: +1 916 785 4018
   Email: [email-masked]

9.  Full Copyright Statement

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 17]

Internet Draft            Ethernet Chipset MIB                  May 1999

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Flick                    Expires November 1999                 [Page 18]