Subject: Embedded Technology Newsletter

From: Embedded Technology <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

============================================================
Embedded Technology.com Newsletter
Volume 1   Issue 20
Thursday, September 23, 1999
============================================================

Welcome once again to the Internet's premier source of technical information
for the embedded and industrial computing industries. If you're going to the
Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose next week, or even if you aren't, be
sure to check out our special show coverage section. We'll bring you all the
latest news and new product information straight from the show floor.

******** NATIONAL SPONSOR ********

The 9.99% fixed Bank One Platinum Business Card Visa. No annual fee and up
to $25,000 line of credit. Track expenses, simplify tax reporting, and
streamline your finances. Apply online by visiting:
http://app1.firstusa.com/card.cfm/XPL6UBC13/6B3Z

******** Embedded Technology.com’s Weekly Selection: *******

Microprocessor Architectures: From VLIW to TTA by Henk Corporaal
The market for single chip microprocessors is huge and their performance
continues to increase, driven by the on-going demand for more powerful
applications, particularly in the control and signal processing domains.
Retail Price: $125.00 Our Price: $103.99! You Save: $18.01 (15%)
To read more and purchase this book, visit:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11850

****** FEATURED ARTICLES selected by Bruce Bennett *****

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
2) Cooling for Memory Modules
3) Intel Invests In Trillium Digital Systems

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
Flash memory is replacing conventional hard drives in many embedded
applications. Will it work for you? -- By Sharon Tikotzky, M-Systems

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/10971

2) Cooling for Memory Modules
Chip-scale packaging poses new challenges for high-speed circuit design.
Getting rid of excess heat looms as a major design constraint. Here are some
techniques that can help and some suggestions on what to look for when
selecting thermal interface materials. -- By Chris Chapman, Aavid Thermal
Products; Dr. Vivek Mansingh, Applied Thermal Technologies; and Dr. Prabhu
Sathyamurthy; Fluent, Inc.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11798

3) Intel Invests In Trillium Digital Systems
Intel Corp. and Trillium Digital Systems, Inc. today announced that Trillium
has become the first company to receive an equity investment from the recently
created Intel Communications Fund. Intel created the $200 million
Communications Fund to invest in companies supporting Intel's key programs and
initiatives in voice and data communications.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11799

******** EDITOR'S CHOICE PRODUCTS ********

1) Embedded Computers
2) I/O Controller
3) VME Processor

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Embedded Computers
RAIL-Man, a family of 3U CompactPCI embedded computers packaged in DIN-RAIL
assemblies, combines the efficiency of DIN-RAIL with open CompactPCI standards
to support industrial automation, packaging, transportation, traffic control,
environmental, and energy management applications. -- Inova Computers, Cotuit, MA.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11800

2) I/O Controller
The 64-bit CPCI-943 Intelligent I/O Controller includes the addition of Hot
Swap support. -- Cyclone Microsystems, Inc., New Haven, CT.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11801

3) VME Processor
The VMP1 MPC8240 PowerPC-based 3U VME processor board features an on-chip FPU
and PCI interface.  The board has 200- or 250-MHz processors, up to 128 MB of
SDRAM with optional ECC, up to eight-MB direct soldered Flash and an option for
either 512-KB NVRAM or 144-MB Disk-on-Chip. -- PEP Modular Computers,
Pittsburgh, PA.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990920/11803

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

click2learn.com is a revolutionary new learning portal providing professional
education and training by automating the creation, delivery, tracking and
access to a wide variety of off-the-shelf and unique web-based content.
http://www.click2learn.com

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

The award winning My Lycos is the fast and easy-to-use start page -
providing you with personalized news, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes,
weather, sports scores and more.  Try it now - http://my.lycos.com.

***** FEATURED COMPANIES (information from sponsors): ******

Visit the companies below for more industry news and product information:

emWare's mission is to extend the Internet by delivering complete, cost-
effective, easy-to-implement device-networking solutions that allow any device
in any industry to communicate over any network, using any interface.
Visit emWare at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/emware.html

Force Computers, founded in 1981, is a worldwide supplier of open, scalable,
high availability systems and board-level computer platforms for
telecommunications and industrial control applications. A processor-independent
company, Force Computers delivers products based on Pentium®, SPARC®, PowerPC™,
and 68K™ technologies.
Visit Force Computers at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/force.html

SBS GreenSpring specializes in providing commercial off the shelf I/O board-
level products for industrial computers, with the concept of mezzanine modules
(IndustryPack, PMC, and PC•MIP). It allows system engineers to mix and match
different I/O functions under different system architectures. I/O functions
include analog I/O, digital I/O, serial I/O, motion control, and field bus.
Visit SBS GreenSpring at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/greenspring.html

Ziatech Corporation is the leading supplier of rugged CompactPCI® and STD 32®
industrial computers. They manufacture board-level, system-level, and fully
integrated microcomputer products for OEMs and end users seeking to automate
their applications quickly and cost effectively.
Visit Ziatech Corporation at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/ziatech.html

Don't forget to visit our special Embedded Systems Conference (ESC) show
section. To get there from ET.com's home page, just click on the ESC button.

See you there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy reading Embedded Technology's Newsletter, please tell a
friend or colleague about it.  Anyone can sign up for a free
subscription on our Web site at http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're a company that wishes to sponsor this newsletter, please
contact Sherylen Yoak at mailto:[email-masked] to learn more.

==========================================================

If you wish to unsubscribe, please go to the following web page:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/content/newsletter/unsubscribe.asp

==========================================================
The Embedded Technology Homepage: http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

(c) Copyright 1999 VerticalNet, Inc. All rights reserved. All
product names contained herein are the trademarks of their
respective holders.