Subject: Computer OEM Online Newsletter

From: Computer OEM Online <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

============================================================
Computer OEM Online Newsletter
Volume 2   Issue 48
Thursday, September 23, 1999
============================================================

******** NATIONAL SPONSOR ********

The 9.99% fixed Bank One Platinum Business Card Visa. No annual fee and up
to $25,000 line of credit. Track expenses, simplify tax reporting, and
streamline your finances. Apply online by visiting:
http://app1.firstusa.com/card.cfm/XPL6UBC13/6B3Z

******** Computer OEM’s Online Weekly Selection: *******

Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics '97: Recent Developments and Advances
Using Parallel Computers by A. Horowitz
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is a discipline that has always been in the
vanguard of the exploitation of emerging and developing technologies
Our Price: $241.50!  To read more and purchase this book, visit:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/11847

****** FEATURED ARTICLES selected by Alex Mendelsohn ******

1) Cooling for Memory Modules
2) Linear Slides Make Through-Hole Insertion Machine's Design Maintenance-Free
3) VIA Acquires Centaur X86 Design Subsidiary

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Cooling for Memory Modules
Chip-scale packaging poses new challenges for high-speed circuit design.
Getting rid of excess heat looms as a major design constraint. Here are some
techniques that can help and some suggestions on what to look for when
selecting thermal interface materials. -- By Chris Chapman, Aavid Thermal
Products; Dr. Vivek Mansingh, Applied Thermal Technologies; and Dr. Prabhu
Sathyamurthy, Fluent, Inc.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/10984

2) Linear Slides Make Through-Hole Insertion Machine's Design Maintenance-Free
When a maker of automatic insertion equipment ran into a problem selecting a
linear slide mechanism, a new departure in slide design helped save the
company's reputation. The product has since earned "complaints" from
distributors because of near-zero spare parts sales. -- By Jerry Fireman,
Applications Engineer, Del-Tron Precision, Inc., Bethel, CT

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/11808

3) VIA Acquires Centaur X86 Design Subsidiary
VIA Technologies, Inc. and IDT, Inc. have signed a definitive agreement
detailing the transaction in which VIA Technologies, Inc. and its partners will
acquire IDT's Centaur Technology x86 microprocessor design subsidiary. In
August 1999, the companies announced their intention to transfer ownership of
Centaur to VIA.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/11811

******** EDITOR'S CHOICE PRODUCTS ********

1) A/D Converter Cards
2) PCI Card
3) USB Protection Chip

------------------------------------------------------------

1) A/D Converter Cards
Models PCI-AI12-16 and –16A analog input cards for PCIbus computers feature 16
single-ended or eight differential analog inputs. Both cards accept a mixture
of voltage and current inputs. -- ACCESS I/O Products Inc., San Diego, CA.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/10993

2) PCI Card
Model PCI-3-IP is a half size PCI card, which provides three Industrypack-
compatible (IP) slots. Slots A and B are configured to allow double-wide IP-
compatible operation. -- Dynamic Engineering, Inc., Ben Lomond, CA.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/11813

3) USB Protection Chip
The Type MAX893L chip, a pin-for-pin upgrade to vendor's popular MAX890L, acts
as a current-limited power switch for Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports. This
low-impedance 7O milliohm switch, operable from 2.7 V to 5.5 V sources, can
prevent a system from shutting down due to an overcurrent or short-circuit
condition at a USB port. -- Maxim Integrated Products, Sunnyvale, CA.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990920/10995

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

click2learn.com is a revolutionary new learning portal providing professional
education and training by automating the creation, delivery, tracking and
access to a wide variety of off-the-shelf and unique web-based content.
http://www.click2learn.com

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

The award winning My Lycos is the fast and easy-to-use start page -
providing you with personalized news, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes,
weather, sports scores and more.  Try it now - http://my.lycos.com.

**** FEATURED COMPANIES (information from sponsors): ****

Visit the companies below for more industry news and product information:

emWare's mission is to extend the Internet by delivering complete, cost-
effective, easy-to-implement device-networking solutions that allow any device
in any industry to communicate over any network, using any interface.
Visit emWare at:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/emware.html

Jameco has been providing customers with quality ICs, electronic components,
and computer and test equipment at incredible prices for over 25 years.  Their
immense on-site warehouse means when you order a part from Jameco they ship it
the same day.
Visit Jameco Electronic Components and Computer Products at:
http://www.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/jameco.html

From their name to their overriding business strategy, Toshiba America is, in
every sense, a U.S.-based company. Since 1965, when they were established by
Tokyo-based Toshiba Corporation, TAI has grown into a multibillion-dollar
Fortune 500 company with five distinct and successful divisions of their own.
Visit Toshiba at:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/toshiba.html

Incidentally, for those of you working in the embedded computing industry, our
sister site, http://www.embeddedtechnology.com, will be doing extensive
coverage of the Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose, CA. Be sure to check
it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy reading Computer OEM Online's Newsletter, please tell a
friend or colleague about it.  Anyone can sign up for a free
subscription on our Web site at http://www.computeroemonline.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If your company wishes to sponsor this newsletter, please
contact Sherylen Yoak at mailto:[email-masked] to learn more.

==========================================================

If you wish to unsubscribe, please go to the following web page:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/content/newsletter/unsubscribe.asp

==========================================================
The Computer OEM Online Homepage: http://www.computeroemonline.com

(c) Copyright 1999 VerticalNet, Inc. All rights reserved. All
product names contained herein are the trademarks of their
respective holders.