Subject: Embedded Technology Newsletter

From: Embedded Technology <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 03:17:09 -0400 (EDT)

============================================================
Embedded Technology.com Newsletter
Volume 1   Issue 21
Thursday, September 30, 1999
============================================================

Greetings from San Jose, California, where we're covering the Embedded Systems
Conference this week.

******** NATIONAL SPONSOR ********

The 9.99% fixed Bank One Platinum Business Card Visa. No annual fee and up
to $25,000 line of credit. Track expenses, simplify tax reporting, and
streamline your finances. Apply online by visiting:
http://app1.firstusa.com/card.cfm/XPL6UBC13/6B3Z

******** Embedded Technology.com's Weekly Selection ********

Internet Routing Architectures by Bassam Halabi
This comprehensive reference explores the ins and outs of interdomain routing
network designs.
Retail Price: $55.00  Our Price: $46.75! You Save: $8.25 (15%)
To read more and purchase this book, visit:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990927/12782

****** FEATURED ARTICLES selected by Bruce Bennett *****

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
2) IBM Ships One Millionth Copper Chip
3) Balancing Tradeoffs in Thermal Management in Electronics Packaging
4) 3DSP And SYNTEK Semiconductor Sign DSP IP Core Licensing Agreement

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Local Storage for the Next Millennium
Flash memory is quickly evolving into the premier storage media for Internet
access devices, embedded computing, communication-telecom, networking, handheld
applications and more.  Flash offers benefits falling somewhere between RAM and
ROM, combining the convenience of in-system reprogramming and erasibility with
the non-volatility of ROM. It also overcomes many of the limitations of
previous solid-state technologies.  With its simple cell architecture, flash is
also available at a fraction of the cost of other non-volatile components.
-- By Sharon Tikotzky, M-Systems

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/10971

2) IBM Ships One Millionth Copper Chip
IBM today announced that it has reached a major milestone in the shipment of
its one-millionth copper PowerPC chip, just one year after shipping the first
copper chip.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12507

3) Balancing Tradeoffs in Thermal Management in Electronics Packaging
In the race to reduce build costs, improve time-to-market, and meet the ever-
growing demands of the marketplace, system manufacturers are finding that many
technological improvements come with tradeoffs. The matter of thermal
management is no different -- but the news is ultimately good. Advancements in
cooling technology are minimizing what OEMs must give up to use the latest
technology. -- By Chris Chapman, Aavid Thermal Products (Concord, NH); Dr.
Vivek Mansingh, Applied Thermal Technologies (Santa Clara, CA); and Dr. Prabhu
Sathyamurthy, Fluent, Inc. (Lebanon, NH).

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12508

4) 3DSP And SYNTEK Semiconductor Sign DSP IP Core Licensing Agreement
3DSP Corp., a developer of high-performance, low-power digital signal
processing (DSP) technology, and SYNTEK Semiconductor, announced that they have
signed a licensing agreement. Under the terms of the agreement, 3DSP will
provide SYNTEK Semiconductor with its DSP IP core technology, which will be
incorporated into SYNTEK Semiconductor’s line of microcontroller products
featuring LCD Drivers.  Terms of the agreement are confidential.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12509

******** EDITOR'S CHOICE PRODUCTS ********

1) CompactPCI Platforms
2) Analog Output Module
3) Data Acquisition Board
4) Processor Cores

------------------------------------------------------------

1) CompactPCI Platforms
The CPX8000 Family of CompactPCI systems, when combined with appropriate
software, is designed for critical telecom infrastructure applications that
need to meet five-nines (99.999%) availability. -- Motorola Computer Group,
Tempe, AZ.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12510

2) Analog Output Module
The IP236 provides up to eight analog output channels on a single IndustryPack
(IP) mezzanine module.  Equipped with individual 16-bit D/A converters on each
output channel, it can deliver throughput rates as high as 100 KHz. -- Acromag,
Wixom, MI.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12511

3) Data Acquisition Board
The DaqBoard/2000 PCI board’s hardware design includes 16-bit, 200-kHz A/D;
100% digital calibration; bus mastering; dual 16-bit, 100-kHz D/As; 40 digital
I/O lines; four counters; and two timers. -- IOTech, Cleveland, OH.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12513

4) Processor Cores
The company’s Turbo86 and Turbo 186 cores provide a 3x speed-up and a 16x
larger address-space relative standard-component implementations of the 8086
and 80186 microprocessors. -- VAutomation, Nashua, NH.

http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/read/nl19990924/12514

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

Need business supplies for the office?  Shop at OfficeMax.com for a
selection of over 20,000 office products, free next business day delivery,
and a low price guarantee.
http://www.officemax.com/FreeDelivery/catalog.html?affiliate=OMX37590

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

click2learn.com is a revolutionary new learning portal providing professional
education and training by automating the creation, delivery, tracking and
access to a wide variety of off-the-shelf and unique web-based content.
http://www.click2learn.com

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

The award winning My Lycos is the fast and easy-to-use start page -
providing you with personalized news, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes,
weather, sports scores and more.  Try it now - http://my.lycos.com.

**** FEATURED COMPANIES (information from sponsors): ****

Visit the companies below for more industry news and product information:

emWare's mission is to extend the Internet by delivering complete, cost-
effective, easy-to-implement device-networking solutions that allow any device
in any industry to communicate over any network, using any interface.
Visit emWare at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/emware.html

Force Computers, founded in 1981, is a worldwide supplier of open, scalable,
high availability systems and board-level computer platforms for
telecommunications and industrial control applications. A processor-independent
company, Force Computers delivers products based on Pentium®, SPARC®, PowerPC™,
and 68K™ technologies.
Visit Force Computers at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/force.html

Motorola Computer Group (MCG) is a leading supplier of the embedded computing
technology. Customers are able to choose embedded computing solutions featuring
the 68K and PowerPC microprocessors from Motorola, as well as the Intel Pentium
family of processors.
Visit Motorola Computer Group at:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/storefronts/motorolacomputer.html

Remember to check out our extensive coverage of this week's Embedded Systems
Conference, live from the exhibit floor of the San Jose Convention Center. If
you couldn't get to the show, we'll tell you about some of the more interesting
products announced there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy reading Embedded Technology's Newsletter, please tell a
friend or colleague about it.  Anyone can sign up for a free
subscription on our Web site at http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're a company that wishes to sponsor this newsletter, please
contact Sherylen Yoak at mailto:[email-masked] to learn more.

==========================================================

If you wish to unsubscribe, please go to the following web page:
http://www2.embeddedtechnology.com/content/newsletter/unsubscribe.asp

==========================================================
The Embedded Technology Homepage: http://www.embeddedtechnology.com

(c) Copyright 1999 VerticalNet, Inc. All rights reserved. All
product names contained herein are the trademarks of their
respective holders.