Subject: RE: [Hubmib] FW: Ethernet switch forwarding table MIB? (fwd)

From: "Ayers, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:37:34 -0600

> From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 10:09 AM

> Fortunately, a large fraction of the cables are limited to 100' or so
> and a single floor, so even without a good jack-to-room database, that
> beats searching a whole building or, worse, a campus with dozens of
> buildings.

	100 feet is five floors - in either direction.  Then there's fiber
links, which I believe (I haven't had time to look it up), are limited to a
few miles.

	It was my understanding that you were trying to locate the device,
not just narrow down the search.  The less accurate you need to be, the
easier to find a solution!

/|/|ike

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:58:00 -0500

> easier to find a solution!

Actually, while accuracy is good, this is a game of probability: I want
to get the smallest likely error. After all, it's much better to know
that, with high probability, a device is within a few dozen feet of the
wall jack or Ethernet switch than just knowing that it's somewhere on a
squaremile corporate or university campus.

Practically speaking, I would imagine that some devices will allow or
force the user to enter her current location, but that information is
not always accurate, either. (For example, we have two buildings called
Schapiro on campus - about half a mile apart, to the perpetual
frustration of the pizza delivery service and UPS.)

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:58:00 -0500