Subject: [Hubmib] draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-epon-mib-03.txt almost ready to go

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:06:32 +0300

draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-epon-mib-03.txt is almost ready to go. There are
several objects with a length exceeding 32 characters that lead to
smilit complaining:

smilint -m -s -e -m -s -l 6 -I namelength-32 epon-mib-03.txt

epon-mib-03.txt:75: [2] {bad-identifier-case} `XXX' should start with a
lower case letter

epon-mib-03.txt:75: [2] {object-identifier-not-prefix} Object identifier
element `XXX' name only allowed as first element

epon-mib-03.txt:879: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3OmpEmulationBroadcastBitNotOnuLlid' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:894: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3OmpEmulationOnuLLIDNotBroadcast' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:909: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3OmpEmulationBroadcastBitPlusOnuLlid' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:928: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3OmpEmulationNotBroadcastBitNotOnuLlid' longer than
32 characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1112: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3EponMauFECUncorrectableBlocks' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1125: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `dot3EponMauBufferHeadCodingViolation' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1276: [2] {bad-identifier-case} `XXX' should start with
a lower case letter

epon-mib-03.txt:1276: [2] {object-identifier-not-prefix} Object
identifier element `XXX' name only allowed as first element

epon-mib-03.txt:1431: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceObjectReportNumThreshold' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1466: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceObjectReportMaximumNumThreshold' longer than
32 characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1480: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceObjectReportMaximumNumQueues' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1495: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDControl' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1514: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDTable' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1540: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDEntry' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1552: [4] {namelength-32-type} warning: type name
`EponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDEntry' longer than 32 characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1563: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceRemoteMACAddressLLIDName' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1927: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue0' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1941: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue1' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1955: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue2' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1969: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue3' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1983: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue4' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:1997: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue5' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:2011: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue6' longer than 32
characters

epon-mib-03.txt:2025: [4] {namelength-32-object} warning: object
identifier name `eponDeviceStatDroppedFramesQueue7' longer than 32
characters

Also, idnits complains about the boilerplate not being update - no
wonder taking into account that RFC 3978 and 3979 started to be applied
after the Internet-Draft was published: 

idnits 1.74 

tmp/draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-epon-mib-03.txt:

  Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html:
    Checking conformance with RFC 3978/3979 boilerplate...
  * The document seems to lack an RFC 3978 Section 5.1 IPR Disclosure
    Acknowledgement. 

  (Expected a match on the following text:
    "By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
    applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
    have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
    aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.")

    (The document uses RFC 3667 boilerplate or RFC 3978-like
    boilerplate instead of verbatim RFC 3978 boilerplate.  After 6 May
2005,
    submission of drafts without verbatim RFC 3978 boilerplate is not
    accepted.)

  Checking nits according to
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt:
    Nothing found here (but these checks do not cover all of
    1id-guidelines.txt yet).

  Miscellaneous warnings:
    None.
 
I would kindly request the document editor to publish an updated draft
to fix these editorial issues before I submit the I-D to the IESG. I do
not believe that these changes would require a new WGLC, unless somebody
feels strongly otherwise.
Thanks and Regards,
 
Dan

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:55:58 -0700 (PDT)

>    several objects with a length exceeding 32 characters that lead to

According to section 4.2 of the MIB review guidelines (see 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-04.txt)
this is not something that needs to be corrected.

>    smilint -m -s -e -m -s -l 6 -I namelength-32 epon-mib-03.txt
__________________________________^

That should be a lower-case 'i' (in which case the directive will
mean "ignore names over 32 characters").  When I do that (and put
in fake mib-2 numbers in place of XXX) I get this from the smilint
e-mail robot:

smilint -m -s -e -l 6 -i namelength-32 EPON-DEVICE-MIB

no errors found.

smilint -m -s -e -l 6 -i namelength-32 DOT3-EFM-EPON-MIB

no errors found.

So, I don't think there are any purely SMI issues to worry about.
For sure it's not necessary to shorten the names. 

>    wonder taking into account that RFC 3978 and 3979 started to be
>    applied after the Internet-Draft was published:
>    
... details snipped ...
> 
> I would kindly request the document editor to publish an updated
> draft to fix t hese editorial issues before I submit the I-D to
> the IESG. I do not believe tha t these changes would require a
> new WGLC, unless somebody feels strongly otherwise.

I agree with the above.

Mike Heard