Subject: RE: [Hubmib] Review of EFM-04 I-D

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:26:16 +0200

W.r.t.

>          
> 4) The syntax of object dot3OamMaxOamPduSize is specified
>     as "SYNTAX (0..1518)", but the text says values
>     1..63 are not allowed. So, why not
>     "SYNTAX (0 | 64..1518)
> 

Mmmm... which document are you looking at?
The   that I have says (on page 15)
      dot3OamMaxOamPduSize OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (64..1518)
        UNITS       "octets"
        MAX-ACCESS  read-only
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
          "The largest OAMPDU that the OAM entity supports.  OAM
          entities exchange maximum OAMPDU sizes and negotiate to use
          the smaller of the two maximum OAMPDU sizes between the peers.
          This value is determined by the local implementation.
          "
        REFERENCE   "[802.3ah], 30.3.6.1.8"
        ::= { dot3OamEntry 4 }

So it does not have (0..1518) and the DESCRIPTION clause also does not tell
me what a value of zero would mean ??
I tried to find it in the 802.3ah spec, but have not found it (yet).

Bert

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 07:44:02 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

oops. Cut and paste error on my part. Should be
dot3OamPeerMaxOamPduSize.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:46:19 +0100

Hi Bert,

I don't know if the following is what you were looking for in IEEE Std 
802.3ah-2004 (please note that IEEE 802.3ah-2004 has been superseded by 
IEEE 802.3-2005 which I will quote from):

Subclause 30.3.6.1.8 'aOAMLocalPDUConfiguration' of IEEE Std 802.3-2005 
reads:

ATTRIBUTE
APPROPRIATE SYNTAX:
INTEGER
BEHAVIOUR DEFINED AS:
An eleven bit value corresponding to the Maximum OAMPDU Size value within 
the OAMPDU Configuration field (see Table 57–9) in the most recently 
transmitted OAMPDU.;

In Table 57-9 of IEEE Std 802.3-2005 'Maximum OAMPDU Size' is described 
as:

11-bit field which represents the largest OAMPDU, in octets, supported by 
the DTE. This value is compared to the remote’s Maximum PDU Size and the 
smaller of the two is used. Prior to exchanging and agreeing upon a 
Maximum OAMPDU Size, a DTE sends minFrameSize OAMPDUs. The minimum value 
is minFrameSize / 8. The maximum value is equal to maxUntaggedFrameSize, 
which is defined in 4.4.2. The OAMPDUs transmitted by a DTE are limited by 
both the local DTE’s Maximum OAMPDU size and the remote DTE's Maximum 
OAMPDU size as indicated in received Information OAMPDUs. A DTE is not 
required to change the value transmitted in this field after negotiation 
to an agreed size as each end will dynamically.

Subclause 4.4.2 of IEEE Std 802.3-2005 'Allowable implementations' defines 
minFrameSize as 512 bits.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
  David