Subject: [Hubmib] Review of EPON-04

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:50:39 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

My comments are below.

General comments:
1) The updated document looks much better than the -03 version. 
2) It runs through both SMICng and smilint with no problems.
3) I read through the document fairly quickly, and didn't
   try to verify all the references to other documents.
4) There are many grammar problems throughout the document,
   and, thus, the document would be much improved by
   a pass from a "copy editor" for technical documents.
5) The interface model that the document covers is quite
   unusual, and thus requires more work in this document 
   to describe it than other well known and simple interfaces.
6) This version resolved many of issues from the previous
   revision. However, I still have concerns with a 
   few corner cases. These include:
     a) discontinuity of counters
     b) dependencies of stacked interfaces 
7) I believe that the document needs to be updated and
   reviewed at least one more time.

Specific Comments:
0) The interface type should be ethernetCsmacd(6) as specified
   in RFC 3635. 
1) The abstract and the overview paragraphs are different.
   The abstract includes management of P2MP networks,
   which is not included in the overview.
2) The terminology and abbreviations need to be checked
   for completeness. I noticed the following that need
   to be added:
     FEC - forward error correction
     P2MP - point to multipoint
3) In section 1.3, "management I/F" should be written out
   as "management interface". In the next sentence, I believe
   that instead of text "The MIB document", it should read
   "The IEEE MIB document", since IETF MIB documents don't
   have "packages".
4) The most important goal for section 1 is to describe the
   interface model. This version is so much better than
   the previous version. However, I'm still somewhat
   confused. The figure in section 1.2.1 and in 1.2.5
   show typical devices having OLT and ONU interfaces.
   I'd like to see two more figures and interface table
   dumps. These are:
    An "ONU modem":
                    --------
     ONU interface | ONU   | 10megabit interface
     --------------| Modem |-------------------- 
                   ---------
    Does this device have two or three entries in the IF table?
    And does it have an entry in the IF stack table. I believe
    that there are 3 IF entries, and one IF stack entries.
    For example in IF table:
      ifIndex=1 - interface for 10megabit interface
      ifIndex=2 - interface for the optical interface
      ifIndex=200 - interface for the ONU interface
    And then in IF stack table:
      ifStackHigherLayer=200, ifStackLowerLayer=2 - map between
           the physical and the ONU
           
    An "headend" with 1 gigibit ethernet interface, and
    two "OLT" interfaces:
                       --------
     1st OLT interface | Head  | gigE interface
     ------------------| end   |-------------------- 
                       |       |
     ------------------|       |
     2nd OLT interface |       |
                       ---------
    With no currently connected ONUs, I believe that there
    would be the following IF table and IF Stack table entries:
    For example in IF table:
      ifIndex=1 - interface for gigE interface
      ifIndex=2 - interface for 1st optical interface
      ifIndex=3 - interface for 2nd optical interface
      ifIndex=200 - interface for the 1st OLT broadcast interface
      ifIndex=300 - interface for the 2nd OLT broadcast interface
    And then in IF stack table:
      ifStackHigherLayer=200, ifStackLowerLayer=2 - map between
           the 1st physical and its broadcast OLT
      ifStackHigherLayer=300, ifStackLowerLayer=3 - map between
           the 2nd physical and its broadcast OLT
    If two ONUs connected to the first OLT, then the following
    would be added:
    For example in the IF table:
      ifIndex=201 - interface for the 1st ONU of 1st OLT
      ifIndex=202 - interface for the 2nd ONU of 1st OLT
    And in the IF stack table:
      ifStackHigherLayer=201, ifStackLowerLayer=2 - map between
           the 1st physical and 1st ONU
      ifStackHigherLayer=202, ifStackLowerLayer=2 - map between
           the 1st physical and 2nd ONU
          
    It seems that for "ONU modems" that there is not a
    an interface instance for the physical interface,
    where there is one for "headend" devices?

    I suggest that you do the following:
    a) in section 1.3, take the paragraph that starts with
       "At the OLT", and end it after the second sentence.
    b) Add the following paragraphs and figures:
     ------
       To illustrate the interface modeling, consider
       two devices. The first device has two
       physical interfaces, is typically located at
       a consumer's site, and may be called a "ONU modem".
       This is shown in figure X below:
                        --------
          ONU interface | ONU   | 10megabit interface
          --------------| modem |-------------------- 
                        ---------
               Figure X: ONU modem

       This device would have 3 entries in the IF table,
       for example:
          ifIndex=1 - interface for 10megabit interface
          ifIndex=2 - interface for the optical interface
          ifIndex=200 - interface for the ONU interface

       The second device has three physical interfaces,
       is typically located at the provider's site, and
       may be called a "headend". This is shown in
       figure Y below:

                            ---------
          1st OLT interface | Head  | gigE interface
          ------------------| end   |-------------------- 
                            |       |
          ------------------|       |
          2nd OLT interface |       |
                            ---------
                     Figure Y: headend

       This device would have 5 entries (when no attached ONUs)
       in the IF table, for example:
          ifIndex=1 - interface for gigE interface
          ifIndex=2 - interface for 1st optical interface
          ifIndex=3 - interface for 2nd optical interface
          ifIndex=200 - interface for the 1st OLT broadcast interface
          ifIndex=300 - interface for the 2nd OLT broadcast interface

       If two ONUs connected to the first OLT interface, then
       for example, the following entries would be added to
       the IF table:
          ifIndex=201 - interface for the 1st ONU of 1st OLT
          ifIndex=202 - interface for the 2nd ONU of 1st OLT

     ------

    c) Continue with a slight change of the sentence that starts
       with "Therefore the Interface". Rewrite it to be something
       like:
     ------
       For each physical interface, there would be an entry in
       the tables of the MAU MIB module[RFC3636] and Etherlike
       MIB module[RFC3635]. And additionally, there would be
       entries for the virtual links of the ONU and OLT interfaces.
     ------
    d) Update the figures and tables through the remainder of the
       document to match the ifIndex assignments.
             
5) The end of section 1.3, which starts with sentence "As an
   example provided below are the values for the MPCP" should
   be moved to section 2 - where the MIB structure is discussed.
   
6) The figures labeled "Table 1" through "Table 4" are useful,
   but due to their size are problematic. I suggest that
   only index columns, columns that linkage to other tables,
   and columns what are different between ONU and OLT entries
   be included.

7) The first sentence after "Table 2" sort of looks like it should
   be a section head.
   
8) The value for dot3MpcpRemoteMACAddress in "table 3" should
   be 6 octets of zero (and not one). For example:
      00:00:00:00:00:00
      
9) There needs to be a footnote, or text that explains the
   meaning of values OLT_MAC_Address, ONU{1,2,3}_MAC_Address,
   and BRCT_MAC_Address
    
10) The paragraph after "Table 4" seems to be misplaced,
    and should come before "Table 2".

11) Section 2 ("MIB structure") is weak. Moving the text from
    section 1.3 should help.

12) How the "extended package" tables were related was not
    well explained in section 2 (nor in their definition).
    It took me a while to figure out that object
    dot3ExtPkgObjectReportMaximumNumQueues affected
    the number of entries in tables dot3ExtPkgQueueTable
    and dot3ExtPkgQueueSetsTable. And that object
    dot3ExtPkgObjectReportMaximumNumThreshold affected
    the number of entries in table dot3ExtPkgQueueSetsTable.
    In general, I couldn't completely figure out
    the use of the tables in the "extended package"
    nor the expected values.

13) In section 2, the same terminology should be used. There
    is used "MIB objects", "MIB module", and "managed object".

14) Section 3.1 is quite useful (and required by all interface
    MIB module documents). (Note "Ether-like" is misspelled
    as "Ehter-like" in one place that I saw.)
    Missing is a discussion and example of the IF stack table
    (and the inverted stack table). Also missing is a discussion
    of what happens to counters when operation is stopped.

15) Section 3.2 mentions the "amended MAU MIB document", but
    the references specifies the current MAU MIB
    document. I suggest that you specify the new MAU I-D
    in the references (if available).
    
16) The abbreviations in the MODULE-IDENTITY specification
    need to be checked and updated for completeness.
    
17) The MPCP stats table has stats for both OLTs and ONUs,
    and counters that only have meaning on one of the
    OLT or ONU. In the later case, the text says the value
    is always zero. For example, object dot3MpcpDiscoveryWindowsSent
    always has a value of zero on ONUs, and object
    dot3MpcpTxRegRequest always has a value of zero
    on OLTs. This is a valid approach, but somewhat
    confusing. Another approach would be to split
    the table (and other similar table) into three
    tables for both, OLT, and ONU stats. Or to split
    into two tables with some columns duplicated (but
    of course with different descriptors). I'd like
    to hear opinions from others on this.

18) In general, there is an inconsistent description specified
    per object as to whether or not the value is always
    zero (a place holder). This should be cleaned up,
    since it is confusing that different words are used.
    The read questions whether or not the same thing
    is being said, but just using different words.

19) At first, I didn't understand why table dot3OmpEmulationTable
    is present. It's single object dot3OmpEmulationType appears
    to me to be the same as object dot3MpcpMode. However, looking
    at the MODULE-COMPLIANCE definitions, I see the need since
    for interpreting values in table dot3OmpEmulationStatTable
    you need to know if the interface is an OLT or ONU.
    This is not well explained in section 2.
    Also, maybe table dot3MpcpStatTable should AUGMENT
    table dot3MpcpControlTable; table dot3OmpEmulationStatTable
    should AUGMENT table dot3OmpEmulationTable. Table
    dot3EponFecTable doesn't need another table to
    indicate if the interface is a OLT or ONU, since
    the stats apply to both.

20) There appear to be some character set problems in the
    description for object dot3EponFecPCSCodingViolation.

21) You should probably say that the value 'unknown(1)' cannot
    be written to object dot3EponFecMode.

22) You should probably rewrite the description of
    object dot3EponFecBufferHeadCodingViolation so it
    is clear that the value is meanful only when in
    1000 Mbps operation, and zero otherwise.

23) Object dot3ExtPkgObjectReset is an action object to
    reset "EPON" interfaces. What does a reset do
    to counters? Is there an object that counts the
    number of resets or provides a timestamp of
    last reset operation? Does a reset of one
    of the virtual interfaces reset only it,
    or the physical interface?

24) Object dot3ExtPkgObjectPowerDown causes an interface
    to be powered down or up. How does this work for the
    virtual interfaces?
    
25) Object dot3ExtPkgObjectNumberOfLLIDs seems silly (useless).
    Please explain.

26) What happens to counters and instances in the FEC table
    when the value of object dot3ExtPkgObjectFecEnabled is
    changed?

27) Object dot3ExtPkgObjectReportMaximumNumQueues is not
    well described. Also, it SYNTAX value should
    probably be Unsigned32(0..7). What happens if
    it is changed, to counters in the the tables 
    dot3ExtPkgQueueTable and dot3ExtPkgQueueSetsTable.

28) I don't understand the function of object
    dot3ExtPkgObjectRegisterAction. Does it cause
    instances to be created or deleted?

29) The index dot3QueueIndex is not well explained
    in table/row for the Queue table.

30) I couldn't figure out objects dot3ExtPkgObjectReportNumThreshold
    and dot3ExtPkgObjectReportMaximumNumThreshold other
    than one of them controlled the number of 
    queue sets.

31) I believe that the syntax of object
    dot3ExtPkgObjectReportMaximumNumThreshold should be
    Unsigned32(0..7).

32) It doesn't seem to make sense that there would be
    entries in table dot3ExtPkgOptIfTable for virtual
    interfaces. 

--- that's all

Regards,
/david t. perkins

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib