Subject: [Hubmib] RE: Power Ethernet MIB (PEM)

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:55:11 +0300

Sriraman,
 
I am copying the [email-masked] list. In general, it would be useful to
address such questions of general interest to this list. 
 
To your point - the indexing in this MIB module is consistent with the
other MIB modules in the hubmib WG. Not all Ethernet MIB modules require
a Ethernet ports to be modeled as if-MIB entries see RFC 2108 for
example. On the other hand one can use the entPhysicalTable in the
Entity MIB to identify physical
components that have identifiers on a device - see Section 2.7 in RFC
4133. 
 
I hope this helps.
 
Regards,
 
Dan

  _____  

	From: Sriraman Sahasranaman -X (ssahasra - HCL at Cisco)
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:33 AM
	To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked]
	Cc: Senthilna Rajarethinam -X (srajaret - HCL at Cisco)
	Subject: Power Ethernet MIB (PEM)

	Berger / Romascanu,
	I am Sriraman working with HCL-Tech.(Chennai,India) for Cisco.
	Following are some of the observations made on Power Ethernet
MIB,
	(1) pethPsePortIndex (PethPsePortEntry) is defined to be an
integer ( > 0)   which uniquely identifies the port with in the module.
Thus from the definition it looks as though it's an arbitrary index
generated for ports with in this group, is this understanding true? In
that case the physical port related attributes of the PEM are devoid of
any relationship with the If-MIB (ifIndex) this is preventing us from
correlation of the data between the two ( PEM and If-MIB) and we are
currently unable to leverage on the data available in the PEM for the
ports, hence pethPsePortIndex should ideally get populated with the
ifIndex of If-MIB or there could be an object in the PethPsePortEntry
capturing the ifIndex from If-MIB.

	(2) The contents of the PEM is about a Physical port and the MIB
existing in total isolation, with out any mapping to the Entity-MIB (i.e
entPhysicalIndex for the Ports), is rendering this MIB data very
sterile. Making it impossible to blend with data from other MIBs, while
generating customized reports. The PethPsePortEntry should have an
object for capturing, entPhysicalIndex for the Ports.

	I solicit your cooperation in doing the needful, to incorporate
the above suggestions into PEM.

	Sriraman.

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib