Subject: [Hubmib] Compilation compatibiltiy with draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05

From: "Clay Sikes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:23:44 -0400

Hi Edward,

First, thanks for all the editor work you are doing on the MIB modules.

I attempted to update an implementation of the MAU-MIB from RFC 2668 to
that which is specified in this ID and ran into a compilation
compatibility issue.  An update from RFC 2668 to RFC 3636 does not have
this compilation compatibility issue.

In this ID, the ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits,
ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits, and ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits have
their syntax changed to use the IANAifMauAutoNegCapBits TC.  I strongly
support this change.  However, RFC 2668 and RFC 3636 have different
labels for the following named bits for the ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits
object's syntax:

Bit 8  -- 2668/3636 bfdxPause(8),
this ID bFdxPause(8)

Bit 9  -- 2668/3636 bfdxAPause(9),
this ID bFdxAPause(9)

Bit 10 -- 2668/3636 bfdxSPause(10),
this ID bFdxSPause(10)

Bit 11 -- 2668/3636 bfdxBPause(11),
this ID bFdxBPause(11)

Compilation of the ID fails because some these labels changed from
2668/3636 to this ID.

Although the RFC 2578 Section 10.2 allows the labels of named bits to
change, this is generally not a good idea.  In the case of this ID,
"over the wire" operation is not effected, but compilation
compatibility has been broken.  Please refer to RFC 4181 Section 4.9
top of page 29 for a discussion on changing labels for named bits.

Given the fact that back in RFC 2668 ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits have
different labels for bits 8 through 11 then
ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits and ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits, it would
seem like there needs to be a different TC in the proposed IANA-MAU-MIB
for ifMauAutoNegCapabilityBits to use then what
ifMauAutoNegCapAdvertisedBits and ifMauAutoNegCapReceivedBits use to
maintain compilation compatibility.

I hope this has not already been discussed.  I did a quick glance in
the list and didn't see anything.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,

Clay Sikes

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib