Subject: Re: [Hubmib] Questions on IEEE published mib modules vs IETF

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:36:54 +0200

Hi Mike, 

I am copying hubmib as the last question refers to Ethernet MIB
documents. 

There is no equivalent of the IETF maturity levels in the IEEE. There is
just one level of standards, and there is a re-affirmation process that
needs to happen every five years, unless the standard was updated
sooner. 

I do not know about the LAG MIB. I think - but I am not sure - that it
is being updated. Best place to ask is the IEEE 802.3 folks - Howard
Frazier([email-masked]) is a good person to start from. Howard
chairs the IEEE 802.3.1 project which is taking over the Ethernet MIB
work in the IEEE 

The MIB modules defined in RFC 3635 and RFC 4836 (and a few more) are in
the scope of IEEE 802.3.1 which was approved as an IEEE standard a few
months ago. We entertained a discussion at and around the Quebec meeting
and decided to mark the RFCs as obsolete by the IEEE standards and point
to these, but not transit them to Historic (not yet in any case). Bert
will write when he gets some time a short Informational RFC to document
this transition. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Michael MacFaden
> Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:07 AM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: MIB Doctors (E-mail)
> Subject: Questions on IEEE published mib modules vs IETF
> 
> Hi Dan,
> 
> Can you or someone on this list explain what's the equivalent of the
> IETF maturity level for
> IEEE mib modules?  Specifically those found here:
> http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/MIBs
> 
> For example am looking at  IEEE8023-LAG-MIB which doesn't match the
one
> in this
> spec so am curious when it would be updated. The changes appear to be
> fixed REFERENCES only.
> http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.1AX-2008.pdf
> 
> Lastly, are these IETF mib modules going to deprecated/moved to IEEE?
> EtherLike-MIB/3635 and MAU-MIB/4836.
> 
> Thanks
> Mike MacFaden

---

From: Michael MacFaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:16:04 -0700

> needs to happen every five years, unless the standard was updated

Ok, that's good to know. Unfortunately there is no README.txt file at this URL
  http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/MIBs
to describe when files are posted here at what part of the standards
process this is/such as being up for reaffirmation. Am
going to the pdf's just to make sure.

> will write when he gets some time a short Informational RFC to document

Makes sense to me, have already started using IEEE8021-BRIDGE-MIB,
IEEE8021-Q-BRIDGE, and others in products so would
prefer new to use correct IEEE versions when they become available.

Thanks again,
Mike MacFaden