Subject: [Hubmib] Fwd: [OPSAWG] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis-00.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 14:45:27 +0100

Dear all,

Forwarded to this mailer, just in case...
All discussions regarding this draft should take place in OPSAWG: 
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Regards, Benoit

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[OPSAWG] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 02 Jan 2013 14:37:27 +0100
From: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
CC: 	Edward Beili <[email-masked]>, Howard Frazier 
<[email-masked]>

Dear all,

Here is some background information on this document, mainly taken from 
the IETF-IEEE coordination call meeting minutes 
(http://www.ietf.org/iesg/ieee/20121029/coordination.txt).

7. IETF Ethernet MIB, ADSL MIB and IEEE 802.3
7.1. Description
In the transition process between the IETF and the IEEE the following
documents were taken over by IEEE 802.3:
RFC 2108 - Ethernet Repeater Devices
RFC 3621 - Power Ethernet MIB
RFC 3635 - Ethernet-like Interface Types
RFC 3637 - Ethernet WAN Interface Sublayer
RFC 4836 - Ethernet Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)
RFC 4837 - Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPON)
RFC 4878 - Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Functions
on Ethernet-Like Interfaces
RFC 5066 - Ethernet in the First Mile Copper (EFMCu) Interfaces MIB
The IF-CAP-STACK-MIB in RFC 5066 is generic and the IETF proposed to
continue to be maintained by the IETF in a separate new document
The IEEE 802.3 proposed to create an RFC that documents the issues
related to the transition of the Ethernet MIB work to IEEE 802.3 similar
to RFC 4663 which documents the transition of the Bridge MIB work to
IEEE 802.1
- The OPSAWG was rechartered in October 2012 to include the two relevant
documents

7.2. Relevant Documents
- IEEE 802.3.1 Draft
-http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/opsawg/charter/  
- TBD OPSAWG I-Ds

7.3. Owners
- Benoit Claise, Dan Romascanu, Ed Beili (IETF), Howard Frazier (IEEE 802.3)

7.4. Action Items
- Dan Romascanu will enter the Sponsor Ballot pool and enter a comment
suggesting that the IEEE 802.3 take out the IEEE8023-IF-CAP-STACK-MIB
from their document and refer the IF-CAP-STACK-MIB instead.
- Ed Beili will write an I-D targeting standards track that obsoletes
RFC 5066 and extract IF-CAP-STACK-MIB from RFC5056, with wording
emphasizing the generic nature of this module
- Ed Beili will write an I-D targeting informational RFC, similar to RFC
4663, with:
a) Listing of all the RFCs obsoleted by the IEEE 802.3.1-2011
b) A table mapping the old IETF MIB names with the corresponding new
IEEE ones
c) Clarifications/rules on the IETF-IEEE interactions, mailing lists,
reviews
d) Clarifications on the intellectual property considerations
The first version will be posted by Ed. Then Dan Romascanu and Howard
Frazier will add IETF-IEEE interactions chapter.
- Howard Frazier to add a EDITOR'S NOTE in the current IEEE MIB
document, to explain the situation

Regards, Benoit
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 02 Jan 2013 04:17:12 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
  This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Interface Stack Capability MIB
	Author(s)       : Edward Beili
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-12-25

Abstract:
    This document defines Management Information Base (MIB) module for
    use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-based internets.
    This document defines a set of objects, describing cross-connect
    capability of a managed device with multi-layer (stacked) interfaces,
    extending the stack management objects in the Interfaces Group MIB
    and the Inverted Stack Table MIB modules.  This document obsoletes
    RFC 5066.  It amends that specification by moving the entire EFM-CU-
    MIB module along with the relevant descriptive text, to a separate
    document, maintained by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics
    Engineers (IEEE) 802.3.1 working group.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5066bis-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg