Subject: Re: [hybi] WebSockets

From: "Sylvain Hellegouarch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:26:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

New to this list but highly interested in what could come of it.

> Yes, the Web Socket protocol is its own protocol. Is that not clear in the
> Web Socket Protocol Internet Draft?

Honestly it was a bit confusing at first but your next paragraph cleared
things up in regards to how it relates to HTTP.

>
> The ability to bootstrap using an HTTP connection, Upgrade:ing to
> WebSockets, is optional, and is only intended for advanced users that need
> to reuse the same port for both purposes.
>

The HTTP-bootstrap sounds sensible if only because HTTP probably federates
well developers from all kind of background.

In any case I agree with Lisa [1] that there's a need for better
documentation of what long-poll refers to and how various techniques
differ. In other words, the most interesting section of the Web Sockets
draft to me was its introduction which, if I read the most recent version,
is empty, meaning I couldn't really infer what it was trying to solve.

- Sylvain

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg00029.html
-- 
Sylvain Hellegouarch
http://www.defuze.org