Subject: [hybi] breakfast BoF minutes

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:35:33 +0200

We just finished a HyBi breakfast Bof at IETF 75. Here are the topics
we discussed, in no particular order...

1. Design Space

It would be helpful to more clearly describe the design space, including
the programming environments (client, server, library, etc.), deployed
infrastructure (routers, proxies, etc.). Sal and I will work on adding
this to draft-loreto-http-bidirectional so that the document sets a bit
more of the context for our discussions.

2. Long Term Solutions

The path forward is a bit unclear here, both "politically" (relationship
between IETF and W3C, proper discussion venues, etc.) and technically
(is this just something like web sockets, or are other possible
solutions in play?). The time scale here seems to be on the order of
5-10 years, would involve engagement with the full HTTP stack (browsers
and other user agents, servers, intermediaries), etc. The group did not
come to any solid conclusions here.

3. Near Term Solutions

These are discussed a bit in draft-loreto-http-bidirectional. At the BoF
we focused on three possible techniques:

3a. Monitoring the state of multiple resources
3b. Specifying the longest preferred polling interval
3c. Specifying that a request or response is related to long polling

In general, we concluded that these techniques are best specified in a
way that is accessible to intermediaries, probably in HTTP headers,
because that would improve interoperability and enable proxies and such
to provide an improved experience.

4. Miscellaneous Topics

Mention was made of similar work at Liberty Alliance, interest in
channel bindings, better requirements for web API improvements, etc. It
would be helpful if folks from the BoF could expand on these as desired.

5. Further Work / Next Steps

The group had rough consensus to pursue the possibility of forming a
working group. As next steps toward that goal, relevant I-Ds will be
updated or submitted over the next month to address the topics mentioned
above. The group envisions that we would try to hold an official BoF at
IETF 76.

If you were at the BoF and see errors in what I've reported, please post
in reply.

Peter and Sal

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:56:12 +0300

here you can find the slide we wasn't able to show during the meeting 
due to the lack of  a beamer
in the room :
www.sloreto.com/tmp/HyBi BarBof.ppt

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkpxTUUACgkQNL8k5A2w/vyqjwCfZXSW2TloamkhkZlNjGT4B58I
> FzoAn0Ad6LulZLglAA3frAr9CzwRmsUS
> =zDA9
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>