Subject: Re: [hybi] breakfast BoF minutes

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:41:02 +1000

Salvatore Loreto wrote:
> 
> here you can find the slide we wasn't able to show during the meeting
> due to the lack of  a beamer
> in the room :
> www.sloreto.com/tmp/HyBi BarBof.ppt

Sal,

I note in those slides that the "Long term solution" is stated
to be the agreement between W3C and IETF and that it is the
websocket protocol?    Also the minutes talk about the
"political" agreement with the W3C.

Does this mean that efforts on alternative proposals such as BWTP
are  non-starters?  If the political/technical decision has already
been  made that the solution will be the WebSocket protocol, then
I will switch my efforts back to trying to influence the websocket
protocol.

regards

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 20:31:29 +0300

Hi Greg,

during the BoF meeting we had some discussion about the situation in W3C and
the agreement between IETF and W3C, but actually there hasn't been any 
decision on this.

No political neither technical decision has already been made at least 
within IETF
about the solution for the so called "long term" solution.

It seems to me that W3C  is pushing for standardize WebSocket (not sure 
if W3C has an unique position on it)
as  HTML5 also "/defines an API that enables  Web pages to use the Web 
Sockets protocol for two-way communication with a remote host/":
( http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/ )

there has been some discussion on the WhatWg mailing list about both the 
WebSocket API and the protocol:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-July/021422.html

cheers
Sal

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:48:23 -0600

Hi Greg,

I don't think that Sal meant that statement to be normative in any way.
It was more of an observation about the state of inter-SDO relations.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/