Subject: Re: [hybi] Registration of ws: and wss: schemes

From: Ian Hickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:39:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Graham Klyne wrote:
> 
> So, I am asking:
> * do you feel the scheme and its broad characteristics are stable enough 
> to push ahead with provisional registration?

No, but I don't think that's necessarily the important question. 
Implementation work has begun and I cannot control when implementations 
will ship; if a subsequent review process concludes that the schemes 
should be named or defined in a materially different way, then it would be 
advantageous if such review could be expedited such that such a conclusion 
is reached before it is too late to change said implementations.

> OR
> * are you happy to hold off registration for now and resubmit when the 
> current debates have settled?

Personally I have no stake in the registrations; I merely submitted these 
schemes for registration because that appears to be the expected process. 
I am happy to defer to the IANA or IETF in terms of scheduling of the 
standardisation effort.

If you would like, I can defer the registration until such time as one of 
the implementations is in a state where it can no longer change before 
shipping, so as to give the longest possible time for the technical 
debates to reach a conclusion before the final request for registration.

Cheers,
-- 
Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'