Subject: [hybi] HyBi WG and Web Sockets support

From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:19:16 +0200

Since probably nobody from Opera can attend the meeting in Hiroshima  
Salvatore asked me to outline our thoughts on the list. To keep it brief:  
Opera supports the creation of a HyBi WG and basing the work on the Web  
Sockets protocol.

I personally think we should make the use case the Web Sockets protocol  
currently supports not more complex by introducing additional features,  
but instead add those features, based on demonstrated need, as extensions  
by e.g. using different framing bytes.

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/

---

From: Maciej Stachowiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:50:30 -0700

On Oct 12, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Salvatore asked me to outline our thoughts on the list. To keep it  
> brief: Opera supports the creation of a HyBi WG and basing the work  
> on the Web Sockets protocol.
>
> I personally think we should make the use case the Web Sockets  
> protocol currently supports not more complex by introducing  
> additional features, but instead add those features, based on  
> demonstrated need, as extensions by e.g. using different framing  
> bytes.

Apple also supports the creation of a HyBi WG and basing the work on  
the Web Sockets protocol. We will likely not have any attendees at the  
Hiroshima IETF.

Some specific thoughts on technical matters:

- We have a WebSocket implementation in progress in WebKit.
- We think the WebSocket protocol draft is a good starting point and  
covers most of the important use cases.
- We think it's plausible that some additional features (such as  
multiplexing) may be valuable, and do not oppose extending the  
WebSocket protocol beyond what is currently proposed.
- We are eager to participate in a potential WG, and expect to give  
detailed feedback.

Regards,
Maciej