Subject: [hybi] Mozilla's WebSocket implementation

From: Wellington Fernando de Macedo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:13:39 -0300

Hi,

Salvatore asked me to  send you the informations about the Mozilla's
WebSockets implementation.

the implementation:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472529

a demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrV9jJQn_MA

The video description has informations about applying the patch
implementation.

Salvatore Loreto escreveu:

It would be good if (...) send some mail
describing your websocket implementation experiences and lessons
learned from that.

The implementation does what the spec says. I think technical details
aren't important in this mail list. The most important, I think, is that

the protocol is (in some way) http based. It helps a lot, because it
does the protocol to work fine with existing proxies. Also only small
changes to http servers are required.

The spec is really simple and practical. If you look at my video
demonstration you will see that I've used few lines of JavaScript to
implement that.

Multiplexing (see the Bidirectional Web Transfer Protocol - BWTP
proposal) is something interesting. But it can bring unnecessary data
transmissions overhead to simple applications. However the protocol has
ways that allow it to configure its connections and interpret its
messages. There is the "websocket-protocol" request header. And also
there is the frame-type byte of the messages.

It is all.

cheers

Wellington.

---

Wellington Fernando de Macedo

Engenharia de Computação

Telefone: +55 (16) 8144.8607

Salvatore Loreto escreveu:

Hi
again,

by the way, where it is possible to get your implementation?

(it would be great if you post the information to the HyBi mailing
list)

cheers

Sal

Wellington Fernando de Macedo wrote:

Hi Salvatore,

I didn't know about that. It seems interesting. Yes, I would like to
attend the meeting, but I would need to receive some funding to be
there. Well, there are two people who have reviewed my work some times,
therefore I can suggest them: Jason Duell <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>> and/or Olli Pettay
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>.

cheers

Wellington Fernando de Macedo.

2009/10/9 Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Hi Wellington,

as you probably know there will be a HyBi BoF on Tuesday 10th

November, at the next IETF in Hiroshima.

The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBI) working group will seek

standardization of approaches that can be used

to communicate with one another in both directions.

In particular, the wg will liaison with the HTML5 / Apps W3C wg

around the websocket protocol;

if agreed by both parties, the HyBi wg may take over of the

development of the websocket protocol.

you can subscribe to the HyBi mailing list  here:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi

You have written a websocket implementation for Firefox, so it

would be extremely interesting hear your experience and opinion.

So as a co-chair of the wg, I would like you  to attend the

meeting and provide your contribution to the discussion.

Please let me know, if you attend and if you want a time slot in

the Agenda.

If you can not attend I would appreciate if you can suggest people

that can participate (especially from a Browser developer point of

view)

and contribute to the discussion

cheers

Salvatore Loreto

www.sloreto.com <http://www.sloreto.com>