Subject: [hybi] introduction, Web Sockets for Ruby

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:28:32 +0000

Partialy-In-Reply-To:
   <[email-masked]>
Justin Erenkrantz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm curious what the makeup of this hybi@ list/WG is - how many server
> or intermediary devs are on this?  From browsing the archives, it
> looks like it is mostly browser/user-agent developers so far.  --

Hi all,

I'm the lead developer for the Rainbows![1] HTTP (Ruby/Rack) server,
which as of v0.9.0 has support for Web Sockets through the Sunshowers[2]
spin-off.  I only joined the hybi list last week (but not the WG list,
I'm mainly interested in the server/network side).

As far as I know, nobody uses either Rainbows! or Sunshowers in
production, yet, but I have an echo server demo up at
http://yhbt.net:9999/ (Zbatery[3], actually) that can talk to
echo_client.py from pywebsocket.

I haven't tested with anything other[4] than echo_client.py and my own
Ruby echo_client.rb in the Sunshowers examples directory.  Hopefully my
implementation is correct; I've received one Sunshowers patch fixing a
bug exposed via Chrome and that's it.

An extra set of eyes to verify that I'm implementing everything
correctly would be very helpful, you can grab the Sunshowers sources
here:

  http://git.bogomips.org/cgit/sunshowers.git
  git clone git://git.bogomips.org/sunshowers.git

[1] http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/
[2] http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/sunshowers/
[3] http://zbatery.bogomip.org/ - Rainbows! for low memory setups
[4] Sunshowers probably wouldn't have happened without echo_client.py
    since I don't like dealing with GUIs or GUI browsers; so I've
    never tested any of the GUI-based client implementations out there.

-- 
Eric Wong