Subject: [hybi] HyBi WG update

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:31:47 +0300

Joe and I with the wg chair hats on have been talking about how to keep 
the HyBi WG moving forward.

Ian Hickson has agreed to continue to be the editor for IETF WG 
WebSocket Protocol draft following the WG rules.
We requested consensus to adopt the  draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol-76 
as WG draft.
The draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol has been an individual draft in 
that the author can put whatever they
want in it.
However as it is now a WG document, the editor need to put in the draft 
not what he wants but what the WG wants.
The current version (00) is to be considered as a starting point and the 
working group need to figured out what changes are
need such that it reflect something we can all live with.

We are well aware that the draft has been discussed for before in the 
whatwg community,
however as it is now an IETF official document, we invite all the people 
subscribed to the whatwg mailing list and that
are interested in influencing the design of the WebSocketProtocol to 
subscribe to the HyBi mailing list and to discuss all the issues there.
This is the only possibility for who care of the WebSocketProtocol to 
influence it, in its way to become an IETF RFC.
Directing people to send comment to the  whatwg mailing list simply is 
counter-productive.

The 00 version Ian Hickson has update contains in the Abstract section, 
the following note:

      NOTE!  THIS COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IS OBSOLETE.

        For an up-to-date copy of this specification, please see:

this note is against the IETF common practice, so we invite Ian to 
remove it.
(btw I have checked on June 7th using the IETF diff tools, and the two 
version were exactly the same)
The only venue to discuss an IETF protocol, as already mentioned is the 
IETF mailing list,
and the only place where to find the official version of the protocol is 
within the IETF repository.
Any version outside the IETF repository has to be considered unofficial 
and any change has to be considered
yet to be agreed by the wg.

If the authors that want to make available proposed changes that aren't  
yet in a published ID
then the canonical approach would be to keep the "current edits" 
version  on tools.ietf.org
in the WG's Subversion repository (both as xml source and txt) : 
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/hybi/

We also invite Ian to remove the following Author's note section

Author's note

    This document is automatically generated from the same source
    document as the HTML specification.  [HTML  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-00#ref-HTML>]

    Please send feedback to either [email-masked]  list or the
    [email-masked]  list.

cheers

Salvatore Loreto
www.sloreto.com