Subject: [hybi] #8: Support for binary data in addition to textual data.

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:07:08 -0000

#8: Support for binary data in addition to textual data.
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  g_e_montenegro@…          |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                    |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                     |   Milestone:     
Component:  design-space              |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                         |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Both types of data must be supported by the protocol spec.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/8>
hybi <http://tools.ietf.org/hybi/>
The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBi) working group will seek
standardization of one approach to maintain bidirectional
communications between the HTTP client, server and intermediate
entities, which will provide more efficiency compared to the current
use of hanging requests.

---

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:07:22 -0000

#8: Support for binary data in addition to textual data.
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  g_e_montenegro@…          |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                    |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                     |   Milestone:     
Component:  websocket-requirements    |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                         |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Changes (by g_e_montenegro@…):

  * component:  design-space => websocket-requirements

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/8#comment:1>

---

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:07:42 -0000

Severity:  Candidate WG Document     |    Keywords:     

  * severity:  - => Candidate WG Document

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/8#comment:2>

---

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:15:12 +1000

I have a little quibble with the wording of this issue:

  "Support for binary data in addition to textual data"

I think it really should be

  "Support for binary data and textual data"

because the "in addition to" wording strongly suggests that the only
way this issue can be resolved is to have binary frames in addition to
text frames.  However, there are many ways that this issue can be
solved, including:

 + making all frames binary, with a content type assumption of UTF-8
text unless otherwise indicated for the connection.
 + making all frames binary, with a content type assumption of UTF-8
text unless otherwise indicated for the message.
 + making all frames binary, with a content type being explicitly
declared when the connection is established.
 + support multi-plexing with binary and/or text virtual channels
 + support a mime encoded frame type.

let's not assume that the current protocol is the only solution - it
may still be the chosen solution, but it is not the required solution.

etc. etc.

On 20 July 2010 03:07, hybi issue tracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>