Subject: [hybi] Mismatch between Charter and Design Space draft

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:18:22 +0200

>From the Charter [1] :

[[
The Web is the design space into which the solution will be deployed.
Since the existing Web is much more complicated that it seems, the
working group will document how it works first, with special attention
to deployed infrastructure (e.g. web clients, intermediaries,
firewalls, NATs, web servers) and programming environments.
]]

it also includes a goal/milestone:

[[
Jul 2010  	Submit a document as a working group item describing the
Design Space characterization
]]

However the current draft of this document [2] essentially describes
requirements for HyBi itself rather than how the Web works. The
description of deployed infrastructure that appears does so
specifically in relation to bidirectional transports, rather than
being that of the Web at large.

As it's now past the goal/milestone date, I hope there will soon be a
revision which is in line with the Charter - when I came across the
group I was really looking forward to seeing such a document.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/hybi/charter/
[2] http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-design-space/

-- 
http://danny.ayers.name

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 04:55:25 -0700

Hi Danny,
>group I was really looking forward to seeing such a document.

The milestones are tentative.  The milestone for the WebSocket 
requirements document is before the one for Design Space characterization.

The number of messages posted to this mailing list about framing 
might characterize how difficult it is for the HyBi WG to achieve consensus.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
HyBi WG Secretary