Subject: [hybi] URL/namespace for handshakes not starting from HTTP UPGRADE

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:47:03 -0700

Just a reminder:
For WebSocket connection methods which don't use HTTP UPGRADE, we do need a
handshake which indicates the URL to which the WebSocket should be attached.

We don't want to end up in a state where we're unable to differentiate
WebSocket connections at the server-- typically the server represents many
domains and myriad services (paths).

-=R

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:02:23 +0200

> domains and myriad services (paths).

That's why I think it's reasonable to complete the work on the framing and
possibilities of extensions *before* reworking on the handshake : once we
see how we can easily use the transport protocol to exchange some important
information we currently have in HTTP headers, then we'll probably be able
to simplify the handshake while keeping it reliable, and making it more
easily extensible to TLS or even raw TCP if needed.

Regards,
Willy