Subject: [hybi] #23: Comment on Section 8.1. Compression

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:34:35 -0000

#23: Comment on Section 8.1. Compression
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…             |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                 |   Milestone:     
Component:  thewebsocketprotocol  |     Version:     
 Severity:  Active WG Document    |    Keywords:     
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Message posted by Patrick McManus on 13 Sept, 2010:

 8.1. Compression

 The registered extension token for this compression extension is
 "deflate".

 The extension does not have any per message extension data and it does not
 define the use of any WebSocket reserved bits or op codes.

 Senders using this extension MUST apply RFC 1951 encodings to all
 bytes of the data stream following the handshake including both data and
 control messages. The data stream MAY include multiple blocks of both
 compressed and uncompressed types as defined by RFC 1951.

 Senders MUST NOT delay the transmission of any portion of a WebSocket
 message because the deflate encoding of the message does not end on a byte
 boundary. The encodings for adjacent messages MAY appear in the same byte
 if no delay in transmission is occurred by doing so.

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg04117.html

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/23>
hybi <http://tools.ietf.org/hybi/>
The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBi) working group will seek
standardization of one approach to maintain bidirectional
communications between the HTTP client, server and intermediate
entities, which will provide more efficiency compared to the current
use of hanging requests.

---

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:47:16 -0000

Comment(by jat@…):

 I suggest "deflate-stream" instead to leave more options for future
 definitions while minimizing ambiguity.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/23#comment:1>