Subject: [hybi] #18: Changes to Section 4.3 - Fragmentation

From: "hybi issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:16:40 -0000

#18: Changes to Section 4.3 - Fragmentation
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…               |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  websocket-requirements  |     Version:     
 Severity:  Active WG Document      |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Message posted by Patrick McManus on 2 Sept, 2010:

 Section 4.3 - Fragmentation

  * Change the paragraph that begins "a sender MAY arbitrarily fragment a
 single message (which allows generation of dynamic content without having
 to buffer the data in order to count it)." to read more simply "A sender
 MAY create fragments of any size for non control messages." If we need to
 explain why fragments are important, which I don't think we need to do,
 that can live outside of normative section 4.

   * Change the paragraph "A receiver MUST be prepared to accept
 arbitrarily fragmented messages, even if the sender sent the message in a
 single frame." to the more direct "A receiver MUST support receipt of
 fragmented messages.". .. I assume the text about "sender sent .. in
 single frame" is referring to intermediaries, but it can't really happen
 like that - the intermediary is a sender too. To express the concept we
 would have to define something like origin-server/user-agent which are
 subsets of senders.. but I really don't see why this paragraph needs the
 concept at all.

   * Change the paragraph "An intermediary MAY fragment .." to read "An
 intermediary MAY change the fragmentation of a message if the message uses
 an opcode and reserved bit values known to the intermediary."  This change
 allows coalescing as well as fragmentation, and using the "if" keeps us
 out of the awkward "may.. except must not" language the text was using,
 and it restricts the section 4.3 requirement to only deal with
 fragmentation.

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg04005.html

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/trac/ticket/18>
hybi <http://tools.ietf.org/hybi/>
The Hypertext-Bidirectional (HyBi) working group will seek
standardization of one approach to maintain bidirectional
communications between the HTTP client, server and intermediate
entities, which will provide more efficiency compared to the current
use of hanging requests.