Subject: [hybi] -05 suggested rewrite for Section 1.8

From: "Pat McManus @Mozilla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:00:48 -0500

Section 1.8: I suggest striking all of this text: 
"There are several options for establishing a WebSocket connection.

   On the face of it, the simplest method would seem to be to use port
   80 to get a direct connection to a WebSocket server.  Port 80
   traffic, however, will often be intercepted by HTTP proxies, which
   can lead to the connection failing to be established.

   The most reliable method, therefore, is to use TLS encryption and
   port 443 to connect directly to a WebSocket server.  This has the
   advantage of being more secure; however, TLS encryption can be
   computationally expensive."

This doesn't actually help with interop, is only contextually true, and
is the kind of statement that does not hold up well over time. The spec
is simply better without the text because it isn't adding useful at the
protocol level.

-- 
http://www.getfirefox.com/

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:13:08 +0200

> is simply better without the text because it isn't adding useful at the

+1 on removing the text as suggested by Pat

/Sal

-- 
Salvatore Loreto
www.sloreto.com