Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 03:15:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The WebSocket protocol
	Author(s)       : Ian Fette
                          Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-16.txt
	Pages           : 77
	Date            : 2011-09-27

   The WebSocket protocol enables two-way communication between a client
   running untrusted code running in a controlled environment to a
   remote host that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The
   security model used for this is the Origin-based security model
   commonly used by Web browsers.  The protocol consists of an opening
   handshake followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The
   goal of this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
   applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
   not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g. using
   XMLHttpRequest or &lt;iframe&gt;s and long polling).

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-16.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-16.txt

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:26:41 +0100

>   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.
Chairs and editors believe that this version is final (before the 
publication of the RFC). Thank you to everybody who helped to get this 
completed and for the stimulating discussions on the way.
Now feel free to discuss extensions, WebSocket 1.1, etc. :-).

---

From: Matthias Wessendorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:58:32 +0200

what about typos, like:

   The handshake from the client looks as follows:

        GET /chat HTTP/1.1
        Host: server.example.com
        Upgrade: websocket
        Connection: Upgrade
        Sec-WebSocket-Key: dGhlIHNhbXBsZSBub25jZQ==
        Origin: http://example.com
        Sec-WebSocket-Protocol: chat, superchat
        Sec-WebSocket-Version: 13

previous version used to keep the "Sec-WebSocket-Version" up-to-date;

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Alexey Melnikov
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>> directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or
>> Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.
>>
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>

-- 
Greetings,
Matthias

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:10:26 +0200

> previous version used to keep the "Sec-WebSocket-Version" up-to-date;

It's clear by reading the draft that the Sec-WebSocket-Version is not
the same as the revision of the draft.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:15:03 +0200

On 2011-09-28 09:58, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
 > ...

It doesn't seem to be a typo in that the spec uses that version number 
consistently; once we forget the IDs and only look at the RFC this will 
be less confusing.

That being said: 
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-16#section-11.6> 
IANA-registers version numbers corresponding to Internet Drafts. Is this 
really a good idea? (Well, the IESG has approved it...)

Best regards, Julian