Subject: [hybi] UDP WebSockets?

From: Andrew Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:07:57 -0700

Hi,

Has the hybi had any discussions regarding adding support for UDP sockets
to the WebSocket protocol?

Thanks,
Andrew Rasmussen

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:34:04 +0900

Yes, we had. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg02100.html
.

For now, I don't know anyone implementing or designing such a protocol
seriously.

The WebSocket Protocol is designed assuming underlying transport provides
reliability. A protocol over UDP that supports the WebSocket API would be
substantially different than RFC 6455.

Thanks

---

From: Zhong Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:03:28 -0500

I wouldn't even say that WebSocket is built on top of TCP. From
application's point of view, WebSocket is pretty close to TCP socket.
If WebSocket is a protocol on top of TCP to simulate TCP... who needs
that for?

The crux of WebSocket is that there is an HTTP pathway between the
client and the server, but there is not necessarily an unconstrained
TCP pathway. The job of WebSocket is to sneak non-HTTP full-duplex
data on this HTTP pathway without causing problems. If that's the
defining characteristic of WebSocket, then whatever-protocol over UDP
will have nothing to do with WebSocket as we know it, since it's not
on an HTTP pathway.

(note: an unconstrained TCP pathway is also an HTTP pathway)

Zhong Yu

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Andrew Rasmussen
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has the hybi had any discussions regarding adding support for UDP sockets to
> the WebSocket protocol?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew Rasmussen
>
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>