Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:31:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Compression Extensions for WebSocket
	Author(s)       : Takeshi Yoshino
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-10.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2013-06-19

Abstract:
   This document specifies a framework for creating WebSocket extensions
   that add compression functionality to the WebSocket Protocol.  An
   extension based on this framework compresses the payload data portion
   of non-control WebSocket messages on a per-message basis using
   parameters negotiated during the opening handshake.  This framework
   provides a general method to apply a compression algorithm to the
   contents of WebSocket messages.  For each compression algorithm, an
   extension is defined by specifying parameter negotiation and
   compression algorithm in detail.  This document also specifies one
   specific compression extension using the DEFLATE algorithm.

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-10

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:38:07 +0900

Changes
- defined "accept" and "decline"
- note about the relation between order of elements and PMCE preference
- unsolicited server-to-client s2c_no_context_takeover and
s2c_max_window_bits.
- unsolicited client-to-server c2s_no_context_takeover and
c2s_max_window_bits with value. They server as hints.
- made server-to-client s2c_no_context_takeover mandatory for clients

Takeshi

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:09:27 +0900

> c2s_max_window_bits with value. They server as hints.

s/server/serve/

Now,

In an extension offer:
- s2c_no_context_takeover: constraint request
- s2c_max_window_bits: constraint request
- c2s_no_context_takeover: hint
- c2s_max_window_bits: capability announcement and (optionally) hint

In a reponse:
- s2c_no_context_takeover: acknowledgement or unsolicited configuration
announcement
- s2c_max_window_bits: (possibly tighter) acknowledgement or unsolicited
configuration announcement
- c2s_no_context_takeover: constraint request
- c2s_max_window_bits: constraint request

Even after this change, my answer to Joakim's question [1] still works.
hints and configuration announcements can be simply ignored if the endpoint
don't want to utilize them.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg10023.html