Subject: Re: [hybi] permessage-deflate: add a few more parameters to avoid processing non-compressible contents?

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:33:35 +0900

Thanks for comments, Peter and Adam.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Adam Rice <[email-masked]> wrote:
snip

> * It doesn't make sense to me for the browser to be telling the server
> what heuristics to use to decide whether or not to compress messages. The
> browser has no application-specific knowledge, whereas the server
> presumably knows what the application is and when compression is
> appropriate.
>
snip

If we add parameters to also limit the maximum size of messages to
compress, then it allows the user-agent to tell the server about its
capability like server_max_window_bits and server_no_context_takeover. E.g.
buffer for uncompressing operation? So, it makes sense on that point.

HyBi had similar discussion regarding the maximum length of messages but we
don't have anything for that so far. So, even with the proposed parameters,
user-agents are still exposed to huge uncompressed messages.

What we're adding is "minumum" threshold. So, I agree with Adam. I don't
come up with any reason to support them except for symmetry. I'd remove
server_ ones.