Subject: [hybi] The Web Application Messaging Protocol

From: Tobias Oberstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:14:12 +0200

Hi,

the "Web Application Messaging Protocol" (WAMP) is a _WebSocket 
subprotocol_ that provides two application messaging patterns in one 
unified protocol:

- Remote Procedure Calls
- Publish & Subscribe

There is an open specification, multiple independent implementations and 
a growing user community. The protocol has seen takeup in particular 
with IoT applications.

Project site:	http://wamp.ws/
Specification:	https://github.com/tavendo/WAMP/tree/master/spec
Mailing list:	https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wampws
Chat room:	https://gitter.im/tavendo/WAMP

While we do have a spec, having a proper RFC for WAMP would be a further 
step forward.

Working on a RFC and producing a high-quality document is a lot of work 
and requires significant commitment by multiple parties, since 
otherwise, sufficient peer review and feedback isn't guaranteed.

While a lot of contributors have been working over the last +3 years on 
WAMP, we need commitment to work on the _actual RFC_.

So if you do have interest in seeing a WAMP RFC, your input and feedback 
is welcome! Please reply ..

Cheers,
/Tobias

---

From: Tobias Oberstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:41:15 +0200

We've rewritten the WAMP spec (basic profile) into a RFC draft:

https://github.com/tavendo/WAMP/blob/master/rfc/draft-oberstet-hybi-tavendo-wamp-01.txt

This is the first RFC style document we've written (well, Alex did the 
rewriting;). We've tried hard to follow all formal rules and started to 
reword the text so it better fits "RFC style".

The the draft likely has more formal issues, but we now have a concrete 
proposal text to discuss and work from on the content matter.

Currently the draft is on GitHub, but I guess there is a process to get 
each of the draft versions published.

How does the process of publishing RFC draft work?

Anything else to do?

/Tobias

Am 17.09.2015 um 17:14 schrieb Tobias Oberstein:
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:21:03 +0900

> How does the process of publishing RFC draft work?
General instructions here: https://www.ietf.org/id-info/

See the NOTE WELL again at https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/note-well/

Use https://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/ to see nits in your I-D.

Then, submit at https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/ (or just submit w/o
idnits and you'll see rejection if there's any nits). The submitted I-D
shows up on tools.ietf.org.

Submission tool instructions:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/tool-instructions/

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:34:50 +0900

Once the I-D gets adopted (e.g.
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09816.html) as an
IETF WG item, it'll be renamed to draft-ietf-hybi-tavendo-wamp-XX.txt.
Then, it goes through discussion/editing again, and then the chairs sends
it to IESG, i.e. AD, Barry.

See the history of permessage-deflate, http2 for example at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression/history/
and https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7540/history/

Takeshi

---

From: Tobias Oberstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:01:21 +0200

Takeshi,

thanks for your hints! I've read through the documents you mentioned and 
went through submission (only had to change version number).

So this worked .. here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oberstet-hybi-tavendo-wamp-00

Awesome!

(Nits: Summary: 0 errors (**), 0 flaws (~~), 2 warnings (==), 20 
comments (--).)

/Tobias

> shows up on tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>
>         [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>