Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:42:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Improving the robustness of TCP to
                          Non-Congestion Events.
	Author(s)	: S. Bhandarkar, A. Reddy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-4-15
	
This document proposes TCP-DCR, a simple modification to the TCP
   congestion control algorithm to make it more robust to non-congestion
   events. In the absence of explicit notification from the network, the
   TCP congestion control algorithm treats the receipt of three
   duplicate acknowledgements as an indication of congestion in the
   network. This is not always correct, notably so in wireless networks
   with channel errors or networks prone to excessive packet reordering,
   resulting in degraded performance. TCP-DCR aims to remedy this by
   delaying the congestion response of TCP for a short interval of time
   tau, thereby creating room to handle any non-congestion events that
   may have occurred. If at the end of the delay tau, the event is not
   handled, then it is treated as a congestion loss. The modifications
   themselves do not handle the non-congestion event, but rather rely on
   some underlying mechanism to do this. This document discusses the
   implications of delaying congestion response on the fairness, TCP-
   compatibility and network dynamics, and the benefits to be gained by
   applying the TCP-DCR modifications to TCP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.