Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:32:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)
	Author(s)	: P. Faltstrom, et al.
	Filename	: draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2004-4-14
	
Until now, there has been no standard method for domain names to use
characters outside the ASCII repertoire.  This document defines
internationalized domain names (IDNs) and a mechanism called
Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) for handling
them in a standard fashion.  IDNs use characters drawn from a large
repertoire (Unicode), but IDNA allows the non-ASCII characters to be
represented using only the ASCII characters already allowed in so-
called host names today.  This backward-compatible representation is
required in existing protocols like DNS, so that IDNs can be
introduced with no changes to the existing infrastructure.  IDNA is
only meant for processing domain names, not free text.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.