Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:37:44 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Security Problem Statement
	Author(s)	: A. Vives, J. Palet
	Filename	: draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-4-21
	
Today, each network is often secured by a unique device (i.e.
   security gateway or firewall), that becomes a bottleneck for the
   end-to-end security model with IPv6. The deployment of IPv6 enabled
   devices and networks bring some issues, which must be addressed by
   security administrators in order to guarantee at least the same level
   of security obtained nowadays with IPv4 and perimeter security
   schemes, allowing at the same time all the IPv6 advantages.

   The most important issues are the rediscovery of end-to-end
   communications, the availability of IPsec in all IPv6 stacks, the
   increase in the number and type of IP devices and also the increase
   in the number of "nomadic" devices, meaning devices that will be
   connected to different networks (that could have different security
   policies).

   The security policies and architectures currently applied in Internet
   with IPv4, does not longer apply for end-to-end security models which
   IPv6 will need. This document outlines the advantages and drawbacks
   of both security schemes: perimeter and distributed.

   This document aims to identify IPv6 issues that justify the need of a
   distributed security model for IPv6, that is, simply to show that a
   security problem will arise with the deployment of IPv6 networks if
   nothing is done.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vives-v6ops-ipv6-security-ps-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.