Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-white-pathconsiderations-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:36:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Considerations in Validating the Path in Routing
                          Protocols
	Author(s)	: R. White, et al.
	Filename	: draft-white-pathconsiderations-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2004-4-16
	
A good deal of consideration has gone into, and is currently being
   given to, validating the path to a destination advertised by an
   adjacent router or peer, such as [S-BGP], [SOBGP-DEPLOY], and [IRV].
   Since much of this effort has been focused on BGP, this draft
   discusses some issues with this work in terms of BGP.

   One of the primary assumptions in much of this work is that the
   authentication of a given advertisement received by a specific BGP
   speaker is the same as authorization to use the path advertised. In
   other words, it is generally assumed that if a BGP speaker receives
   an advertisement for which the AS Path can somehow be verified, the
   speaker is authorized to transit traffic along the path specified
   contained in the update, and the traffic forwarded to the destination
   contained in the update will actually follow the path advertised.

   This draft shows these two assumptions cannot be held to be true in a
   path vector routing system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-pathconsiderations-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-white-pathconsiderations-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-white-pathconsiderations-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.