Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:02:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TESLA: Multicast Source Authentication Transform Introduction
	Author(s)	: A. Perrig, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-5-12
	
Data authentication is an important component for many applications,
   for example audio and video Internet broadcasts, or data distribution
   by satellite. This document introduces TESLA, a secure source 
   authentication mechanism for multicast or broadcast data streams. This
   document provides an algorithmic description of the scheme for 
   informational purposes, and in particular, it is intended to assist 
   in writing standardizable and secure specifications for protocols 
   based on TESLA in different contexts.
   The main deterrents so far for a data authentication mechanism for
   multicast were the seemingly conflicting requirements: loss tolerance, 
   high efficiency, no per-receiver state at the sender. The problem 
   is particularly hard in settings with high packet loss rates and
   where lost packets are not retransmitted, and where the receiver
   wants to authenticate each packet it receives.
   TESLA provides authentication of individual data packets, regardless
   of the packet loss rate. In addition, TESLA features low overhead for
   both sender and receiver, and does not require per-receiver state at
   the sender. TESLA is secure as long as the sender and receiver are
   loosely time synchronized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.