Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-manning-opcode-discover-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:44:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The DISCOVER opcode
	Author(s)	: B. Manning, P. Vixie
	Filename	: draft-manning-opcode-discover-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-5-28
	
The QUERY opcode in the DNS is designed for unicast. With the
development of multicast capabilities in the DNS, it is desireable
to have a more robust opcode for server interactions since a single
request may generate replies from multiple responders. So DISCOVER
is defined to deal with replies from multiple responders.

As such, this document documents experimental extends the core DNS
specifications to allow clients to have a method for coping with
replies from multiple responders. Use of this new opcode may
facilitate DNS operations in modern networking topologies. A prototype
of the DISCOVER opcode was developed during the TBDS project (1999-
2000), funded under DARPA grant F30602-99-1-0523. This draft was
originally submitted for consideration in 2q2000.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manning-opcode-discover-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-manning-opcode-discover-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-manning-opcode-discover-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce