Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:43:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Adaptive User TimeOut (AUTO) Option
	Author(s)	: F. Gont
	Filename	: draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2004-5-19
	
The original TCP specification (RFC 793) defines a "USER TIMEOUT"
   parameter that sets the policy as to when a user connection should be
   aborted. However, TCP provides no means of letting users suggest an
   abort policy to a remote peer dynamically. Even though a fixed policy
   may work well in many cases, there are a number of scenarios where a
   fixed USER TIMEOUT value may be inappropriate, and some means of
   setting the abort policy dynamically may be necessary for TCP to be
   used effectively in such scenarios. This document defines a new TCP
   option, which lets a TCP peer suggest a USER TIMEOUT value to a
   remote TCP during the connection-establishment phase, and modify it
   during the life of a connection, thus adapting TCP's connection-abort
   policy as necessary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-auto-option-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.