Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-venkataraman-stack-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:01:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Stack Aware Architectures for Mobile Ad hoc Networks
	Author(s)	: M. Venkataraman, P. Gupta
	Filename	: draft-venkataraman-stack-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2004-5-20
	
Any operating protocol functions on the basis of a communication
stack. While a layered approach towards a comprehensive stack
development amends itself very well to division of labour and
abstraction of problems, care must be taken to ensure that layers
are so designed that they leverage benefits of using one another.
In other words, layers should be so designed such that they are
highly optimised for usage with one another. An essential feature of 
pervasive computing will be Mobile Ad hoc NETworks (MANETs).
The two primary constraints to system design in MANETs are bandwidth
and energy. We bring out the essential properties of layers in any general stack which make it highly efficient and practicable. We call this a ôstack awareö architecture. We go on to exemplify this with the 
case of ôhelper nodesö in a MANET topology, and discuss the potential
benefits of having them as a necessary ingredient for routing. We also
bring out their significance in every layer of the integrated stack,
using the OSI layers as a reference model.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-venkataraman-stack-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-venkataraman-stack-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-venkataraman-stack-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.