Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gerck-pkix-revocation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:02:58 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Certificate Revocation Revisited Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
	Author(s)	: E. Gerck
	Filename	: draft-gerck-pkix-revocation-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2004-5-24
	
PKIX certificate revocation protocols are primarily described in 
   RFC3280. This Document revisits limitations on determining the 
   revocation status of a certificate.  Ambiguous aspects of revocation 
   and revocation delegation are resolved.  An objective point of view 
   is introduced as a reference that does not depend on the observer 
   (e.g., the RP).  The revocation status of a certificate issued by a 
   conforming CA is shown to be always well-defined from a relying 
   party's point of view -- i.e., it is unambiguous (revoked or not 
   revoked) and ultimately determinable at any period in time. The 
   limitations on determining the revocation status of a certificate 
   have nothing to do with the eventual result of the determination 
   process by a relying party. The limitations have to do with the 
   efforts for that determination, which may require a large (actually 
   unspecified) amount of time and work. Some practices are also 
   suggested, allowing a relying party to determine the revocation 
   status of a certificate with higher reliability in less time. The 
   same considerations apply to determinations of status "change" 
   processes, including certificateHold and removefromCRL.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gerck-pkix-revocation-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gerck-pkix-revocation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gerck-pkix-revocation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce