Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dougotis-smtp-caa-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:43:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SMTP Client Address Authorization (SMTP-CAA)
	Author(s)	: D. Otis
	Filename	: draft-dougotis-smtp-caa-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2004-5-19
	
The helo/ehlo domain reported by a client at the beginning of an SMTP
   [RFC2821] session has largely been ignored without reliable means to
   verify this information.  To properly recognize a domain sending
   mail, the domain of the client must be verifiable.  This document
   utilizes a DNS SRV record that extends the definitions for fields of
   this record as defined in [RFC2782] where the label becomes unique by
   appending a label of "__caa" following the Proto field.  Server
   verification of permitted client addresses becomes possible as a
   method to confirm the domain of a client without having prior
   information shared.  Cooperation between client and server domains
   utilizing this method exclude third party masquerades as originating
   from within cooperative domains. Initially only a notice of Unknown
   or Unconfirmed will be added to mail from uncooperative domains
   unless the domain is determined to be not valid, where then the mail
   will be refused.  This added notice provides assurance the server is
   checking client domains in addition to alerting users to the level of
   mail compliance on received mail.  Once use of this method is common
   practice in conjunction with other means for confirming the client
   domain, mail may be refused if the client and/or domain fails these
   confirmation checks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dougotis-smtp-caa-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dougotis-smtp-caa-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dougotis-smtp-caa-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.