Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-azcorra-tcpm-tcp-blind-ack-dos-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:48:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DoS vulnerability of TCP by acknowledging not received segments
	Author(s)	: A. Azcorra, et al.
	Filename	: draft-azcorra-tcpm-tcp-blind-ack-dos-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2004-5-25
	
TCP relies in communication peers to implement congestion control by
   hosts voluntary limiting their own data rate. Nevertheless this
   assumption introduces unsolved DoS attack opportunities.
   A DoS attack can be easily performed by a host that acknowledges TCP
   segments not yet received (maybe even not sent).
   This document presents and briefly describes the problem, already
   identified and pointed before, but also shows than it can be easily
   performed (with very interesting results) and proposes some
   server-side modifications to TCP stack in order to make this attack
   more difficult to perform. These modifications do nor cause
   interoperability issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-azcorra-tcpm-tcp-blind-ack-dos-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-azcorra-tcpm-tcp-blind-ack-dos-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-azcorra-tcpm-tcp-blind-ack-dos-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce