Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dupont-ipv6-rfc3041harmful-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:29:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RFC 3041 Considered Harmful
	Author(s)	: F. Dupont, P. Savola
	Filename	: draft-dupont-ipv6-rfc3041harmful-05.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2004-6-25
	
The purpose of the privacy extensions for stateless address
autoconfiguration [1] is to change the interface identifier (and
the global-scope addresses generated from it) over time in order
to make it more difficult for eavesdroppers and other information
collectors to identify when different addresses used in different
transactions actually correspond to the same node.
Current Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) [2] attacks employ
forged source addresses which can also be in the same prefixes
than the real addresses of the compromised nodes used for attacks.
Indeed, network ingress filtering defeats DDoS using 'random'
forged source addresses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dupont-ipv6-rfc3041harmful-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dupont-ipv6-rfc3041harmful-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dupont-ipv6-rfc3041harmful-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce