Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:36:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Security Considerations for 6to4
	Author(s)	: P. Savola, C. Patel
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-03.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 2004-6-18
	
The IPv6 interim mechanism 6to4 (RFC3056) uses automatic IPv6-over-
IPv4 tunneling to interconnect IPv6 networks.  The architecture
includes 6to4 Routers and Relay Routers, which accept and decapsulate
IPv4 protocol-41 ('IPv6-in-IPv4') traffic from anywhere.  There
aren't many constraints on the embedded IPv6 packets, or where IPv4
traffic will be automatically tunneled to.  These could enable one to
go around access controls, and more likely, being able to perform
proxy Denial of Service attacks using 6to4 relays or routers as
reflectors.  Anyone is also capable of spoofing traffic from non-6to4
addresses, as if it was coming from a relay, to a 6to4 node.  This
document discusses these issues in more detail and tries to suggest
enhancements to alleviate the problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce