Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:10:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Header Compression over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2004-6-4
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP.  When MPLS 
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels, where, for 
example, the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice payload 
is often no more than 30 bytes.  Header compression can significantly 
reduce the overhead through various compression mechanisms, such as 
enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP) and robust header compression (ROHC). We 
consider using MPLS to route compressed packets over an MPLS LSP without 
compression/decompression cycles at each router.  This approach can 
increase the bandwidth efficiency as well as processing scalability of 
the maximum number of simultaneous flows that use header compression at 
each router.  In the draft we give a problem statement, goals and 
requirements, and an example scenario.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce