Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sanjib-private-vlan-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:35:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PRIVATE VLANS: Addressing vlan scalability and security 
			  issues in a multi-client environment
	Author(s)	: S. HomChaudhuri, M. Foschiano
	Filename	: draft-sanjib-private-vlan-02.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-6-18
	
This document describes the concept of layer 2 isolation among devices 
that are members of the same layer 2 domain. 

A vlan is a layer 2 broadcast domain in which all devices can 
establish direct communication with one another at layer 2. 
As a consequence, devices that are connected to the same vlan 
have an implicit trust relationship with each other. If 'untrusted' 
devices are introduced into a vlan, security issues may arise 
because trusted and untrusted devices end up sharing the same 
broadcast domain.

The traditional solution to this kind of problem is to assign a 
separate vlan to each device that is concerned about layer 2 security 
issues. That however is not a scalable solution. The mechanism 
proposed in this document can offer total layer 2 isolation 
between devices connected to the same vlan. What that means is that, 
on the one hand, each customer will enjoy the benefits that come 
with a separate dedicated vlan, while on the other hand the service 
provider will enjoy the benefit of consuming as few as two vlan 
identifiers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sanjib-private-vlan-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sanjib-private-vlan-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sanjib-private-vlan-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce