Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chakravorty-6lsa-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:26:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Label Switching Architecture (6LSA)
	Author(s)	: S. Chakravorty
	Filename	: draft-chakravorty-6lsa-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2004-7-9
	
This specification provides an architectural framework, called IPv6 Label 
   Switching Architecture or 6LSA, for an end-to-end, IP-centric packet switching 
   technique that uses the IPv6 packet header Flow Label, header extensions, and 
   unique routing algorithms, the latter two when needed, to establish IPv6-based 
   label switched paths.  The label switched paths, called 6LSPs, provide application 
   and user specified routes for speedier transport of packets and as means for 
   quality of service (QoS) solutions as in IPv4-based MPLS or ATM.  Since MPLS-like 
   protocol labeling will be redundant for IPv6 and since there are no widely-known 
   QoS deployments of IPv6 over any of the layer 2 switching mechanisms such as ATM, 
   the 6LSA framework fills the technology void without the link overhead from 
   extraneous layer 2 labeling and signaling of MPLS, or packet fragmentation and 
   added signaling as in ATM.  Through the use of fast switching of 20-bit labels 
   instead of 128-bit IPv6 address look-ups, the architecture presented here also 
   provides processing savings through significantly reduced address fetches for the 
   low-powered, handheld devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakravorty-6lsa-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chakravorty-6lsa-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chakravorty-6lsa-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce