Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:28:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internet Mail Architecture
	Author(s)	: D. Crocker
	Filename	: draft-crocker-email-arch-01.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2004-7-8
	
Over its thirty year history, Internet mail has undergone significant
   changes in scale and complexity.  The first standardized architecture
   for email specified a simple split between the user world and the
   transmission world, in the form of Mail User Agents (MUA) and Mail
   Transfer Agents (MTA).  Over time each of these has divided into
   multiple, specialized modules.  Public discussion and agreement about
   the nature of the changes to Internet mail has not kept pace, and
   abuses of the Internet mail service have brought these issues into
   stark relief.  This draft offers clarifications and enhancements, to
   provide a more consistent base for community discussion of email
   service problems and proposed email service enhancements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-crocker-email-arch-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce