Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gibson-pnfs-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:00:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: pNFS Problem Statement
	Author(s)	: G. Gibson, P. Corbett 
	Filename	: draft-gibson-pnfs-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2004-7-20
	
This draft considers the problem of limited bandwidth to NFS servers.  
   The bandwidth limitation exists because an NFS server has limited 
   network, CPU, memory and disk I/O resources.  Yet, access to any one 
   file system through the NFSv4 protocol requires that a single server 
   be accessed.  While NFSv4 allows file system migration, it does not 
   provide a mechanism that supports multiple servers simultaneously 
   exporting a single writable file system. 
    
   This problem has become aggravated in recent years with the advent of 
   very cheap and easily expanded clusters of application servers that 
   are also NFS clients.  The aggregate bandwidth demands of such 
   clustered clients, typically working on a shared data set 
   preferentially stored in a single file system, can increase much more 
   quickly than the bandwidth of any server.  The proposed solution is 
   to provide for the parallelization of file services, by enhancing 
   NFSv4 in a minor version.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gibson-pnfs-problem-statement-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gibson-pnfs-problem-statement-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gibson-pnfs-problem-statement-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce