Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mancuso-nsis-impl-sign-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:36:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Implicit Signaling over Stateless Networks
	Author(s)	: V. Mancuso, et al.
	Filename	: draft-mancuso-nsis-impl-sign-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2004-7-21
	
This memo defines a mechanism for NSIS Signaling Layer Protocol 
     (NSLP). The driving motivation is that some network domains, e.g. 
     based on Differentiated Services data plane, might not explicit 
     support a per-router and/or per-domain admission control rule. 
     Hence, for such domains, explicit signaling is not a viable 
     approach. To partially solve this issue, we suggest an admission 
     control paradigm devised to provide ?Implicit Signaling? via data 
     plane packet delivery operation. Implicit Signaling relies the 
     decision to admit a new flow upon the successful and timely 
     delivery, through the domain, of Probe packets independently 
     generated by the NSIS initiator (NI). The key idea is to use failed 
     receptions of Probes to discover, at the NI, that a congestion 
     condition occurs in the network segment between NSIS initiator and 
     NSIS Responder (NR), and to abort a reservation procedure. Since 
     Implicit Signaling is not able to communicate per-flow traffic and 
     QoS parameters, in principle it cannot exert a QoS control as tight 
     as in the case of explicit mechanisms. However, it is important to 
     notice that Implicit Signaling can indeed operate in a 
     differentiated manner on the basis of traffic and QOS parameters, if 
     i) Probes are marked according to the flow traffic and QoS 
     requirements, ii) marked Probes experience a dropping behaviour 
     according to their mark, and iii) Probe dropping is controlled 
     according to measurements taken into the core routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mancuso-nsis-impl-sign-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mancuso-nsis-impl-sign-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mancuso-nsis-impl-sign-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce