Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:21:19 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Address Resolution for IP datagrams over MPEG-2 networks
	Author(s)	: G. Fairhurst, M. Montpetit
	Filename	: draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-7-15
	
This document describes mechanisms to bind IPv4/IPv6 addresses 
     and flows to MPEG-2 Transport Streams (TS). While methods
     currently exist to perform these bindings, for MPEG-2 systems to 
     become true subnetworks of the general Internet, protocols are
     required to signal IPv4/v6 addresses to the link receivers and 
     transmitters. This is known as Address Resolution (AR), or
     Neighbour Discovery (ND). Although AR is often associated
     with Ethernet [RFC803], it is essential to the operation of any
     L2 network. MPEG-2 transmission networks often utilize broadcast
     media (e.g. satellite or cable) where the mapping may take into 
     account issues related to network operations and traffic
     engineering. In MPEG-2 networks, an IP address must be
     associated with a Packet ID (PID) and specific transmission 
     multiplex. Address resolution complements the higher layer 
     resource discovery tools that are used to advertise IP sessions.
     In this document the different mechanisms used for address 
     resolution for MPEG-2 are reviewed and guidelines for future
     developments of efficient schemes are given.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce