Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bhandarkar-ltcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:22:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LTCP: A Layering Technique for Improving 
			  the Performance of TCP in Highspeed Networks
	Author(s)	: S. Bhandarkar, et al.
	Filename	: draft-bhandarkar-ltcp-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-7-15
	
This document proposes Layered TCP (LTCP for short), a simple
   layering technique for the congestion window response of TCP to make
   it more scalable in highspeed networks. LTCP is a two dimensional
   congestion control framework - the macroscopic control uses the
   concept of layering to quickly and efficiently make use of the
   available bandwidth whereas microscopic control extends the existing
   AIMD algorithms of TCP to determine the per-ack behavior. This
   document provides the general intuition and framework for the LTCP
   protocol modifications. Using a simple design, the effectiveness of
   using layering for improving the efficiency without sacrificing the
   convergence properties of TCP, is illustrated. The chosen design is
   evaluated using mathematical analysis, ns-2 based simulations and
   emulation on a Linux testbed. The results show that LTCP has
   promising convergence properties, is about an order of magnitude
   faster than TCP in utilizing high bandwidth links, employs few
   parameters and is easy to understand. The flexible framework opens a
   whole class of design options for improving the performance of TCP in
   highspeed networks. This document is an effort to solicit more
   experimentation and feedback from the broader networking community.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhandarkar-ltcp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bhandarkar-ltcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bhandarkar-ltcp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce