Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-le-mip6-firewalls-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:58:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Mobile IPv6 and Firewalls
	Author(s)	: F. Le, et al.
	Filename	: draft-le-mip6-firewalls-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-7-20
	
Firewalls are an integral aspect of a majority of IP networks today
     given the state of security issues, threats and vulnerabilities to
     data networks. IP networks today are predominantly based on IPv4
     technology and hence firewalls have been designed for these
     networks. IPv6 networks are growing at a slow rate. Firewalls for
     IPv6 networks are still maturing and in development.
     The IETF has recently standardized Mobile IPv6 which adds mobility
     support to IPv6. Given the fact that Mobile IPv6 is a recent
     standard, most firewalls available for IPv6 networks today do not
     support Mobile IPv6.
     Unless firewalls are aware of Mobile IPv6 protocol details, these
     security devices will hamper large-scale deployment of the
     protocol. This document presents in detail some of the issues that
     people deploying IPv6 networks which include firewalls should
     consider when expanding the scope to support Mobile IPv6 as well.
     The issues are not only applicable to firewalls protecting
     corporate networks, but are also applicable in 3G mobile networks
     such as GPRS/UMTS and cdma2000 networks where packet filters are
     implemented in the GGSN in GPRS/UMTS networks and the PDSN in
     cdma2000 networks.
     The goal of this Internet draft is to highlight the issues with
     firewalls and Mobile IPv6 and act as an enabler for further
     discussion. Issues identified here can be solved by developing
     appropriate solutions in the MIP6 WG.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-le-mip6-firewalls-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-le-mip6-firewalls-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-le-mip6-firewalls-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce