Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shepard-tcp-reassign-port-number-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:43:45 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reassign Port Number option for TCP
	Author(s)	: T. Shepard
	Filename	: draft-shepard-tcp-reassign-port-number-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2004-7-13
	
Most TCP connections are protected from spoofing attacks from off-
   path attackers by their obscurity.  This memo suggests that the few
   TCP connections that aren't so protected today may be protected by
   making them obscure by using random values for both port numbers.
   The obvious difficulty with this approach is that the well-known port
   number is required on the initial SYN to connect to the desired
   service.  A TCP option is proposed which can be used during the SYN
   and SYN-ACK exchange to request (and accomplish) reassignment of the
   well known port number to a random value.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepard-tcp-reassign-port-number-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shepard-tcp-reassign-port-number-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shepard-tcp-reassign-port-number-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce