Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-rbridge-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:03:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RBridges: Transparent Routing
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, et al.
	Filename	: draft-perlman-rbridge-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2004-7-20
	
This design provides the ability to have an entire campus, with
   multiple physical links, look to IP like a single subnet.  This
   allows zero configuration of the switches within the campus, and
   allows nodes to move around within the campus without changing IP
   addresses.  This capability is often provided today with bridges.
   Bridges do accomplish this goal.  However, bridges have
   disadvantages: routing is confined to a spanning tree (precluding
   pair-wise shortest paths), the header on which the spanning tree
   forwards has no hop count, spanning tree forwarding in the presence
   of temporary loops spawns exponential copies of packets, nodes can
   have only a single point of attachment, and the spanning tree, in
   order to avoid temporary loops, is slow to start forwarding on new
   ports.  The design in this paper avoids these disadvantages of
   bridges while maintaining the advantages.  This design works for both
   IPv4 and IPv6.
   This document is a work in progress; we invite you to participate on
   the rbridge mailing list at http://www.postel.org/rbridge

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-rbridge-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-rbridge-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-rbridge-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce