Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gont-icmp-payload-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:26:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Increasing the payload of ICMP error messages
	Author(s)	: F. Gont
	Filename	: draft-gont-icmp-payload-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2004-8-3
	
The original ICMP specification states that when a packet elicits an
   ICMP error message, the IP header plus the next 64 bits of the
   original datagram must be returned in the payload of the ICMP error
   message.  This imposes a constraint on the design of transport-layer
   protocols, which are forced to include all the relevant information
   needed to identify an instance of communication in the first 64 bits
   of their protocol header.  It also limits the amount of data from the
   original packet available to the transport-layer when acting on the
   ICMP error message.  Including only the first 64 bits of the original
   datagram's payload may also not be enough to demultiplex ICMP error
   messages if IP is being used to tunnel some other network-layer
   protocol.  This document proposes to increase the amount of data of
   the original datagram to be included in the payload of ICMP error
   messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-icmp-payload-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gont-icmp-payload-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gont-icmp-payload-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce