Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hedayat-media-loopback-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:50:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol 
			  (SIP) for Media Loopback
	Author(s)	: K. Hedayat, et al.
	Filename	: draft-hedayat-media-loopback-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2004-10-1
	
The wide deployment of SIP-based VoIP services has introduced new 
    challenges in managing and maintaining voice quality, reliability, 
    and overall performance.  In particular, media delivery is an area 
    that needs attention.  One method of meeting these challenges is 
    monitoring the overall service by establishing calls where the 
    media is looped back by the answering entity to the calling entity.  
    This is typically referred to as "active monitoring" of services.   
    Such calls are especially popular in ensuring the quality of 
    transport to the edge of a given VoIP service.  Today in SIP-based 
    networks, short of running ' ping' and ' traceroute' to the edge, 
    service providers are left without the necessary tools to actively 
    monitor, manage, and diagnose quality issues with their service.  
    The extension defined herein adds new SDP media attributes which 
    enables SIP User Agent Clients to initiate calls wherein the media 
    is looped back by the SIP User Agent Servers thereby enabling the 
    User Agent Client to proactively measure the media performance of 
    the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hedayat-media-loopback-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hedayat-media-loopback-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hedayat-media-loopback-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce