Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-clausen-manet-linkbuffer-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:36:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Link Buffering for MANETs
	Author(s)	: T. Clausen, K. Mase
	Filename	: draft-clausen-manet-linkbuffer-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2004-10-19
	
A number of MANET routing protocols employ the ability to temporarily
   buffer undeliverable IP datagrams until a route to a destination
   becomes available. This is indeed the case for reactive protocols,
   which largely are based on the ability to store an undeliverable IP
   datagram while a route discovery operation is carried out. Current
   specifications of proactive routing-protocols do, however, also
   indiate that they may benefit from such a mechanism: while a local
   link breakage may imply that a selected route to a given destination
   breaks, buffering an undeliverable IP datagram may allow a local
   topology discovery mechanism to select an alternative route.

   This document describes a generic mechanism for buffering IP
   datagrams in MANETs. The mechanism is based on the idea that while a
   local link may make a route to a destination fail, it does not imply
   that an alternative route to that destination is not available.
   Hence, IP datagrams for transmission along that route are buffered to
   allow the routing protocol time to construct an alternative route.
   The IP datagram is discarded only if the routing protocol hasn‚"Á"ãt been
   able to provide an alternative route within a determined small delay.

   We note, that this specification does not mandate a required behavior
   for MANET routing protocols. Rather, since the mechanisms currently
   employed in the four existing MANET routing protocol specification
   are similar in what they try to accomplish, it is the goal of this
   specification to generalize and expand on these mechanisms, thereby
   provide a framework for (i) discussing and refining the mechanism in
   isolation and (ii) providing a common element, which may be usefull
   for multiple MANET routing protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-clausen-manet-linkbuffer-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-clausen-manet-linkbuffer-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-clausen-manet-linkbuffer-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce