Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boudani-gxcast-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:39:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: GXcast: Generalized Explicit Multicast Routing Protocol
	Author(s)	: A. Boudani, et al.
	Filename	: draft-boudani-gxcast-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2004-10-11
	
Recently several multicast mechanisms were proposed that scale better
with the number of multicast groups than traditional multicast does.
These proposals are known as small group multicast (SGM) or explicit
multicast (Xcast). Explicit multicast protocols, such as the Xcast 
protocol, encode the list of group members in the Xcast header of 
every packet. If the number of members in a group increases, routers
may need to fragment an Xcast packet. Fragmented packets may not be 
identified as Xcast packets by routers. In this paper, we show that 
the Xcast protocol does not support the IP fragmentation and we show
also that avoiding fragmentation induces hard-coded limits inside the
protocol itself in terms of group size. First, we describe the Xcast
protocol, the Xcast+ protocol (which is an extension of Xcast) and we
compare these two protocols with traditional multicast protocols.We
propose then a generalized version of the Xcast protocol, called
GXcast, intended to permit the Xcast packets fragmentation and to
support the increasing in the number of members in a multicast
group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boudani-gxcast-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-boudani-gxcast-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-boudani-gxcast-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce