Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-mankin-newtrk-rfc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:47:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: What's In a Name: RFC
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, A. Mankin
	Filename	: draft-rosenberg-mankin-newtrk-rfc-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2004-10-19
	
Currently, the Request for Comments (RFC) moniker applies to all
   documents that are published by the RFC editor.  This includes
   documents produced by IETF processes, such as IAB documents or
   working group standards, on an equal footing with individual
   contributions to the RFC editor.  As a result, the term RFC does not
   mean that a document has been produced by the IETF (though some
   non-IETF RFCs strongly resemble IETF RFCs).  This is at odds with the
   understanding of the commons, which has come to view RFCs as the
   output document series of the IETF.  This document discusses the
   importance of aligning fact with this common understanding, and
   proposes that the name RFC be associated only with IETF documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-mankin-newtrk-rfc-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosenberg-mankin-newtrk-rfc-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-mankin-newtrk-rfc-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce