Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:43:11 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Security Issues in PIM-SM Link-local Messages
	Author(s)	: J. Atwood, et al.
	Filename	: draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2004-10-19
	
This document proposes some modifications to the Internet-Draft for 
    Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Protocol 
    regarding security issues of its link-local messages. To protect 
    these link-local messages, in the Internet-Draft for PIM-SM a 
    security mechanism has been proposed that uses the IPsec 
    Authentication Header (AH) protocol. While using IPsec AH protocol, 
    the anti-replay mechanism has been disabled. This compromise makes 
    PIM-SM vulnerable to Denial of Service (DoS) attack. In this 
    document, a new proposal is presented to protect PIM link-local 
    messages while activating the anti-replay mechanism as well. This 
    proposal builds on the new Security Association lookup method that 
    has been specified in the Internet-Draft that revises the AH 
    protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-atwood-pim-sm-linklocal-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce