Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:44:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Suggested Practices for Registration of
                          Internationalized Domain Names (IDN)
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-05.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2004-11-17
	
Registration of names in the DNS has traditionally involved
   restrictions beyond those very few required by the DNS itself, both
   to match requirements imposed by applications (the 'hostname' rules)
   and avoid confusion among similar-looking names.  With the
   introduction of internationalized domain names (IDNs), the standards
   make a much larger number of characters available for inclusion in
   domain names as they appear to the user.  Concerns similar to those
   caused the original adoption of the hostname rules have led several
   groups to explore models for appropriate restrictions by registries
   on the IDNs that can be registered and whether some combinations of
   names should be restricted even if the characters in them are valid.
   This document explores those issues, including how methods developed
   for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean can be adapted to other languages
   and scripts, and makes suggestions for mechanisms registries might
   use to define and implement such rules.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce