Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:37:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for ECRTP over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2004-12-27
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS labels 
are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an MPLS VPN, 
the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice payload is often 
no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header compression can significantly 
reduce the overhead through various compression mechanisms, such as 
enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP). We consider using MPLS to route ECRTP 
compressed packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression 
cycles at each router. Such an ECRTP over MPLS capability can increase 
the bandwidth efficiency as well as processing scalability of the 
maximum number of simultaneous compressed flows that use header 
compression at each router.  In this draft we propose to use RSVP-TE 
extensions to signal the header compression context and other control 
messages between the ingress and egress LSR.  We re-use the methods in 
ECRTP to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce