Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-pppoe-mtu-1500-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:57:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Accommodating an MTU of 1500 in PPPoE
	Author(s)	: J. Fitzgibbon
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-pppoe-mtu-1500-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2005-1-28
	
Point-to-Point Protocol Over Ethernet, (PPPoE), as described in RFC
   2516, mandates a maximum negotiated MRU of 1492. This memo proposes
   relaxing that restriction to allow a maximum negotiated MRU of 1500.
   This can be achieved by treating the PPPoE Header and Protocol ID as
   part of the Ethernet Header, taking advantage of the fact that most
   network devices have buffers for the Ethernet Header and Payload that
   are at least 1522 octets in size. To aid backward compatability, the
   proposal recommends testing the link with MRU-sized Echo-Request
   packets if an MRU greater than 1492 has been assumed or negotiated.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pppoe-mtu-1500-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-pppoe-mtu-1500-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pppoe-mtu-1500-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce