Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-dns-assumptions-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:45:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: What's in a Name: False Assumptions about DNS Names
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-iab-dns-assumptions-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2005-1-6
	
The Domain Name System (DNS) provides an essential service on the
   Internet, mapping structured names to a variety of data, usually IP
   addresses.  These names appear in email addresses, URIs, and other
   application layer identifiers that are often rendered to human users.
   Because of this, there has been a strong demand to acquire names that
   have significance to people, through equivalence to registered
   trademarks, company names, types of services, and so on.  A danger of
   this trend is that the humans and automata which consume and use
   these identifiers will make assumptions about the services that are
   or should be provided by the hosts associated with these identifiers.
   This document discusses this problem in more detail and makes
   recommendations on how it can be avoided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-assumptions-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iab-dns-assumptions-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-assumptions-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce