Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-rbridge-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:39:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RBridges: Transparent Routing
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, et al.
	Filename	: draft-perlman-rbridge-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2005-2-21
	
This design provides the ability to have an entire campus, with 
   multiple physical links, look to IP like a single subnet.  This 
   allows zero configuration of the switches within the campus, and 
   addresses.  This capability is often provided today with bridges.  
   Bridges do accomplish this goal.  However, bridges have 
   disadvantages: routing is confined to a spanning tree (precluding 
   pair-wise shortest paths), the header on which the spanning tree 
   forwards has no hop count, spanning tree forwarding in the presence 
   of temporary loops spawns exponential copies of packets, nodes can 
   have only a single point of attachment, and the spanning tree, in 
   order to avoid temporary loops, is slow to start forwarding on new 
   ports.  The design in this paper avoids these disadvantages of 
   bridges while maintaining the advantages.  This design works for both 
   IPv4 and IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-rbridge-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-rbridge-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-rbridge-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce