Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-nat-traversal-considerations-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:32:23 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Considerations for Selection of Techniques for NAT Traversal
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-iab-nat-traversal-considerations-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2005-2-14
	
There are many protocols designed and deployed on the Internet today
   which do not naturally traverse Network Address Translators (NAT).
   In order to allow these protocols to work in the presence of NAT,
   additional logic needs to be added to the network.  This logic
   modifies the behavior of the protocol in some way.  There are choices
   where this logic can be placed in the network.  It can reside in the
   NATs themselves, transparently altering the protocol; when this
   occurs, it is called an Application Layer Gateway (ALG).  It can
   reside in server components, hiding the changes from NATs and clients
   alike, it can reside in the clients, or it can reside in a
   combination thereof.  The choice of the placement of this logic
   typically has implications on many aspects of the protocol, including
   security, deployability, manageability and availability.  This
   document provides a set of considerations that should be taken into
   account by protocol and network designers when making this choice.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-nat-traversal-considerations-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iab-nat-traversal-considerations-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iab-nat-traversal-considerations-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce