Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:52:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: A. Jain, et al.
	Filename	: draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 56
	Date		: 2005-2-22
	
This draft specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for transport
    protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an allowed
    sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a data
    transfer.  While Quick-Start is designed to be used by a range of
    transport protocols, in this document we describe its use with TCP.
    By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate its
    desired sending rate in bytes per second, using a Quick Start
    Request option in the IP header of a TCP packet.  A Quick-Start
    request for a higher sending rate would be sent in a TCP packet.
    Each router along the path could, in turn, either approve the
    requested rate, reduce the requested rate, or indicate that the
    Quick-Start request is not approved.  If the Quick-Start request is
    not approved, then the sender would use the default congestion
    control mechanisms.  The Quick-Start mechanism can determine if
    there are routers along the path that do not understand the Quick-
    Start Request option, or have not agreed to the Quick-Start rate
    request.  TCP host B communicates the final rate request to TCP host
    A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in an answering TCP
    packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow connections to use higher
    sending rates when there is significant unused bandwidth along the
    path, and all of the routers along the path support the Quick-Start
    Request.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce