Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:37:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Defending TCP Against Spoofing Attacks
	Author(s)	: J. Touch
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2005-2-14
	
Recent analysis of potential attacks on core Internet infrastructure 
   indicates an increased vulnerability of TCP connections to spurious 
   resets (RSTs).  TCP has always been susceptible to such RST spoof 
   attacks, which were indirectly protected by checking that the RST 
   sequence number was inside the current receive window, as well as via                                 
   the obfuscation of TCP endpoint and port numbers.  For pairs of well-
   known endpoints often over predictable port pairs, such as BGP or 
   between web servers and well-known large-scale caches, increases in 
   the path bandwidth-delay product of a connection have sufficiently 
   increased the receive window space that off-path third parties can 
   guess a viable RST sequence number.  This document addresses this 
   vulnerability, discussing proposed solutions at the transport level 
   and their inherent challenges, as well as existing network level 
   solutions and the feasibility of their deployment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce