Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:32:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A NULL MX Resource Record means "I never accept email"
	Author(s)	: M. Delany
	Filename	: draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2005-4-6
	
A common strategy of SMTP servers when deciding whether to accept an
email or not, is to ensure that the 2821.MailFrom contains a domain
willing to accept non-delivery email (aka bounces).

When the 2821.MailFrom domain has a DNS MX Resource Record (RR), it is
making an explicit statement that it is willing to accept
email. However, when the domain has just a DNS A (or AAAA) RR, there
is no such clarity as most hosts on the Internet advertise an A RR
regardless of whether they want to accept email or not.

The NULL MX RR formalizes the existing mechanism by which a domain
communicates that it will never accept email.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce